Roasted maple vs pau ferro vs indian rosewood?

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by vejichan, Feb 28, 2021.

1. vejichan

vejichan SS.org Regular

Which do you prefer ? Why

Roasted maple vs pau ferro vs indian rosewood?

2. Omzig

Omzig SS.org Regular

mmr007 and NickS like this.
  3. NickS

NickS Rocket Surgeon

Pale Moon Ebony. Or Richlite.

4. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

Depends on what the guitar looks like.

thebeesknees22 likes this.
  5. Grindspine

Grindspine likes pointy things

Maple fretboards are usually finished. Rosewood and Pau Ferro are open-pore, more oily woods, so either one will have to be maintained by occasional oiling.

Some say maple fretboards give a bit more snap and treble response while rosewood is warmer and mellows the sound. Pau Ferro is said to be somewhere in between. Your mileage may vary. The sound differences can pretty minor depending on your amp and pedals.

I prefer rosewood or ebony to other woods, but that is personal preference. I have some great birds eye maple boards, just favor the rosewood for no specific reason.

6. vejichan

vejichan SS.org Regular

For Rosewood and Pau Ferro..what kind of maintenance would need to be done and how often? Please advise. Thanks

7. USMarine75

USMarine75 Colorless green ideas sleep furiously Contributor

Oil so they don't dry out. Every once in awhile when you're already doing a string change. Apply, let sit, then wipe away any excess with a cotton rag. Easy.

8. dmlinger

dmlinger PepperFox

Indian Rosewood is my favorite. The personal guitar I built myself a few months back has an all rosewood neck and it is killer.

I built a guitar with a pau ferro fretboard a few years ago and it was OK. Of the 3 I'd rate roasted maple second over pau ferro. Just my opinion.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Grindspine and zappatton2 like this.
  9. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

I love pau ferro. It's interesting looking, it's super durable, and, IME, offers a good stability and tone. But it has a tint to it, so you have to work with the aesthetics instead of against it.

Same could be said for rosewood or figured ebony, but those are Cites restricted, so they can get you into trouble.

10. Kaura

Kaura evanesencensencenenist

I have a few guitars with Pau Ferro. I don't mind it and I don't really see the difference compared to rosewood. My favorite is both aesthetically and feeling-wise very thick gloss maple.

11. MikeNeal

MikeNeal SS.org Regular

Pau ferro is one of my favourite woods.

looks great, dimensionally stable, easy to work with, cheap.

12. Wuuthrad

Wuuthrad SS.org Regular

Pau Ferro feels harder than Ebony in my fingers and is colored more like Rosewood.

Looks great and sounds great. A lot of the supposed “ebony” boards are dyed woods in the same family as far as I understand. Ebony is great however!

Best guitar fingerboard I played was a late 50s maple tele my friend had when I was starting out, but you know- memories...corners of the mind...softly sweetly fading...lol

Want to try Birdseye maple board, as I have a classical with Birdseye B&S and it sounds (and smells) amazing!

I personally don’t see a big advantage to baking maple as I’d rather wood aged naturally, but then again I haven’t played it very much. Seems like a shortcut that might have value, and does look cool.

Another wood that’s getting used is Laurel, which is great too, sort of similar to Rosewood, but more pale.

I would like to see an unfinished maple board, and wonder why they aren’t really out there?

13. electriceye

electriceye SS.org Regular

For what?