Roadster: yay or nay?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by sevenfoxes, Aug 12, 2019.

1. sevenfoxes

sevenfoxes SS.org Regular

There's a dude who's locally selling a Roadster for only 1k. I'm a big fan of the rectifier sound, so im pretty tempted. Should i pull the trigger?

2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Do you need a Recto with better cleans? Do you need all the routing functions?

If not, it's probably not worth it.

Then again, if you absolutely love Rectos and you haven't tried one, you should be able to try it out and flip it if you don't dig it.

sevenfoxes and Ribboz like this.
  3. sevenfoxes

I definitely need the best cleans i can get! I love my 6505 to death, but the cleans are straight up trash.

Being a fan of rectos in general, id imagine I'd dig the Roadster. Also, finding a multi watt recto for 1k is no easy task.

So yeah, i guess i could flip it if i ended up disliking it.

Ribboz likes this.
  4. Adieu

Adieu SS.org Regular

Head or combo?

5. oneblackened

oneblackened Doesn't Actually Play a Seven String

The roadster is IMO the apex Rectifier. It doesn't really get better than that.

Ribboz, Given To Fly and sevenfoxes like this.
  6. sevenfoxes

Head

7. sevenfoxes

Feel free to elaborate. :)

8. Ribboz

Ribboz Enjoy

The Roadster is an awesome amp. 1k is a great price.

Does a Darker recto sound like a good thing for you?

The channel switching setup causes a popping sound. It can be avoided with specific settings. But I don't remember off hand.

Channel 4 thins out at bedroom volume. But turns into thick meaty monster with just a little volume.

It needs a boost to tighten it up. I had to switch to ceramic magnet pickups to make it play faster.

If you like recto tone, for 1k, that's a really good deal. I would love to own one again one day.

Edit: If you do get it. A tungsol 12ax7 in V1 sounds really great.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
    sevenfoxes likes this.
  9. Blasphemer

Blasphemer Bird Law expert

I LOVE my roadster. I'd say go for it if you're looking for an ultra-tweakable recto

Ribboz and sevenfoxes like this.
  10. sevenfoxes

A darker recto seems like it might smooth out some of the fizz?

How does channel 3 sound compared to channel 4?

11. sevenfoxes

I think my biggest dilemma is that I'm totally content with my 6505. It really does everything i need it to (minus the clean channel). I love that i don't have to tweak it all the time, which is something i was constantly doing with my MW recto. I also love how the 6505 sits in a mix with my band. I don't have to do much of anything to be heard with a heavy hitting drummer. It just cuts through with ease.

I'm also saving for house right now, so...

On the other hand, I'm not sure if I'll ever rest until i have a recto in my arsenal. :D

12. icipher

icipher SS.org Regular

Sounds like maybe a Peavey Invective might be right for you. Very similar tone to a 6505 but awesome cleans and everything in between.

FILTHnFEAR likes this.
  13. Ribboz

Ribboz Enjoy

To be honest, I don't remember. It's been a few years. But I remember I tried to get a singy lead tone on 3, and a meaty thick metal rhythm tone on 4. It was a ton of fun.

Are you looking for something to compliment your 6505? Or replace it? The roadster is a very different amp. It probably won't cut through as well as the 6505. It will feel slower than the 6505. The two of them combined would sound epic. Please don't let my talk of negatives dissuade you. It really is a great amp. It just depends on what you want from it. If you want a less fizzy recto tone, it definitely has that. At least from what I remember.

XPT707FX and sevenfoxes like this.
  14. sevenfoxes

It would be an addition to the 6505. That amp is going nowhere, lol!

Thanks for your feedback, i really appreciate it.

Ribboz likes this.
  15. sevenfoxes

I gave the Invective some serious thought, but ended up deciding against it. Spending that much for the same amp but with the addition of a clean channel, as well as some bells and whistles didn't make much sense to me. I think if the extra features of the Invective were important to me, then I'd probably be all over it.

16. Choop

Choop n______n

I had a Roadster not too long ago, and just came into ownership of a 2 channel Rev G Recto. I remember the Roadster having a really nice clean and the reverb was great. It is a very dark (and pretty compressed) sounding amp, however, and you may have issues cutting without a good boost or maybe even a graphic EQ. TBH I think I used channel 3 the most for gainy stuff because it just felt more open. Channel 2 is surprisingly nice sounding on the Brit mode, I think it was modeled after the Stiletto. One cool feature of it is you can select which channels have the EQ active, and whether they are 50 or 100 watts like the MW Recto. Oh! And +1 for having a Tung Sol preamp tube in V1, that does help brighten it up a little bit.

Personally I like my 2 channel Recto more even if its clean is inferior to the Roadster's. The voicing is a little brighter and more aggressive. As far as features go the Roadster is really rad but tbh not my favorite Recto sound. I guess it depends if you listen to some demos and decide you like the tone ie: want to go with a darker Recto sound--$1k seems like a good price.

Ribboz and sevenfoxes like this.
  17. oneblackened

oneblackened Doesn't Actually Play a Seven String

Okay, let's see...

- Darker than most rectos, so less fizzy. Does like brighter preamp tubes, of course - a Tung-Sol 12AX7 is a great choice for new production in V1 as is an EHX. If you're into NOS, a GE short grey plate 12AX7 (the 12AX7WA) or a Tesla E83CC in V1 is great. Probably wouldn't drop JJ ECC83Ss in this one (though they are nice in the MW Rectos as they're fairly bright). Also tighter than most rectos.
    - Really good cleans - like, really good. Waaaay better than any 2 or 3 channel rectos outside of the MWs, which don't have as nice OD channels IMO.
    - Surprisingly good crunch tones on channel 2.

sevenfoxes, XPT707FX and Ribboz like this.
  18. Choop

Choop n______n

Actually sorry, I was really tired while typing this. I meant to say you can control the wattage, and which channels have the effects loop active on the back, but I actually did have a graphic EQ in the loop when I had the amp so that's an option. Also you can choose which channels get the reverb, which is nice.

sevenfoxes likes this.
  19. sevenfoxes

Well, i setup a time to check the amp out tomorrow night. We'll see how it goes!

20. sevenfoxes

Thanks for this info! It's amazing how much preamp tubes can make a difference.