RIP Philip Seymour Hoffman

Discussion in 'Movies, Books, TV & Media' started by TimothyLeary, Feb 2, 2014.

1. TimothyLeary

TimothyLeary Tune in, Drop out

rectifryer likes this.
  2. axemanrio

axemanrio SS.org Regular

Sucks when someone dies before their time. One of the better actors from the current generation.

3. Basti

Basti not much space to wr

He was a really great actor...so unexpected...RIP :(

4. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

What a moron. It's unfortunate cause he was a great actor, but really, I have a hard time working up much sympathy for someone that kills themselves with recreational drugs, especially people who are smart enough to know better and capable of affording the best rehab and personal assistants money can buy.

5. Alex Kenivel

Alex Kenivel Stunt Guitar

Addiction is a very tough enemy, no matter how intelligent you are

6. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

Holy crap! He was a great actor. I think he was probably pretty quirky in real life, which led to him being a unique actor.

7. wankerness

I suppose. I'm just pissed that someone as talented as this guy manages to screw it all up when we've had decades of people dying to it and as far as I know no one saying "boy, i sure am glad i'm a heroin addict!" Why do people even get started on it?! I guess I'm pretty autistic when it comes to addictive hard drugs.

His performance in Synecdoche New York was one of my favorites.

8. flint757

flint757 SS.org Regular

I had an acquaintance who started on the stuff. He actually was bragging about it at first and claimed to be 'smarter' than the drug (he wasn't). He slowly stopped showing up to school the more he did it. The first couple of times supposedly are amazing and then from then on out you're just chasing the rabbit further down the hole (never done it so I personally wouldn't know).

At that point your just too late to seek help on your own terms 9/10. Someone has to force you and then once your completely off cold turkey you have to decide to quit. Drug addiction isn't a joke. I imagine most people do it to escape from something: their situation, emotions, bad relationships, for the thrill, etc. You really have to fix those issues as well to help someone quit permanently.

9. DC23

DC23 SS.org Regular

Terribly sad. Very unique actor. Seems like the incredibly talented ones also shoulder other burdens. RIP.

10. Murdstone

Murdstone Sycamore Trees

Sad to seem him go, he was one of my top 5 actors in the game right now.

11. Alex Kenivel

Alex Kenivel Stunt Guitar

so your a friggin genius at it? Im not being serious. But not cool for the autistic comment.

12. ImNotAhab

ImNotAhab ChronicUnderachiever

Really sad news, great actor.

What a waste.

13. narad

narad Progressive metal and politics

:nuts:

Let's not snub Autistic people by equating it to your totally ridiculous comment.

14. wankerness

I meant when it comes to hard drug addiction my ability to understand is severely limited since I approach it intellectually and have a very hard time getting into the mindset of users and empathizing with them or understanding their emotions. It made sense to me, no offense to autistic people intended. Flint757's post is helpful.

I had a friend that got into oxy, switched over to heroin when he started running out of money, and was dead before 22. Seeing what his family went through and never using anything hard myself makes my first reaction always one of frustration.

Anyway, thread derailed enough. I sure never heard anything about his drug problems before and it is quite sudden since just in the last year he's been continuing to give about the best performances in hollywood. It's pretty jarring. He was definitely one of the very best in the business and this is a major loss.

This is certainly not one of the roles he'll probably end up being best-known for, but I still wonder what they'll do with the hunger games movies, he was largely responsible for how good the last one was and he was slated to be an even more major character in the last two. He never "phoned it in" even on big budget movies. The only time I ever saw him hamming it up was in "Red Dragon" but I don't think anyone else in hollywood could have sold being set on fire in a wheelchair better than him!

15. Leveebreaks

Leveebreaks Dooooooooom

Gutted :(

Rest easy PSH

16. Rick

Rick ALL HAIL DJOD Forum MVP

Don't do drugs, kids.

F1Filter likes this.
  17. Watty

Watty Naturally Cynical

I came here to say pretty much this. Sad that he died, but seeing as how he directly caused it....hard to have all that much sympathy for him.

18. flexkill

flexkill Vodka & PentaTonic

You guys are awfully high and mighty who are saying this. You have obviously never had an addiction problem and have no idea what you are talking about. I don't give a fvck if your best friend or mother had an addiction.... that still means you know nothing about it.

Because you have never had an addiction to drugs in no way makes you smarter, or better than a person who has in any way. In fact your responses show otherwise honestly. Don't be so narrow minded.:noplease:

Wankerness....You call the guy a moron and chastise the man who DIED, and then carry on to critique his performances....In a FVCKING RIP THREAD!!!! This is just....UGH! :noplease:

MatthewLeisher likes this.
  19. akinari

akinari SS.org Regular

From everything I've seen, it was accidental. Heroin is terrible, and sadly many people end up ODing because of the varying quality of street level heroin, or due to a change in their tolerance. I wish his friends and family the best, especially his kids.

20. flint757

flint757 SS.org Regular

To be fair there are plenty of examples where most people would deem sympathy as an appropriate response and are equally your own fault if you died doing it: skydiving, driving, riding a motorcycle, drinking, jaywalking, surfing, swimming, big game hunting, and so on. Death isn't usually the intended result.

Obviously some people do drugs (or any of the things listed above) in an attempt to commit suicide, but most of the time they are just looking for some sort of result out of it. Plenty of things can kill you that most people do despite that fact.

Even if it was intentional people commit suicide for a reason and they do drugs for a reason. It isn't always just for kicks or attention. There is usually a deeper reason behind it like trauma, stress, abuse, humiliation, failure, whatever. The reason for them doing so gives some reason to have sympathy whether you approve of their actions or not.

In any case, people who have never partaken in such activities and/or haven't gone through anything seriously traumatic seem to lack sympathy or understanding in such situations (based on this thread and my facebook at least).