RIP Charlie Watts

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Bloody_Inferno, Aug 24, 2021.

1. ArtDecade

ArtDecade John Bohlinger's Dank Stash

I guess we all figured something was up when he was replaced for the upcoming tour... and, well, he was getting up there in age. I don't want this to come off as a hot take or anything, but Charlie really made the Stones sound awesome - otherwise, they would have just kinda come off as every other British R&B band out there. His jazz playing and control of the pocket is what drew you into those songs and got your head bopping. No one can replace him and he deserves way more credit than was ever left at his door. Rest well, Charlie. Heaven has a killer drummer ready to roll.

2. MetalDaze

MetalDaze Repless in Seattle

Never a great day to see a music legend die (even if not a fan).

What I find surprising is that these guys still tour! At 80, I hope to be long retired. But you see it all the time. Larry Ellison from Oracle is 77. Heck, Joe Biden will be 79 this year. Maybe I haven't found my passion yet :lol:

3. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

I was never really a big Stones guys, but I still bummed out about this. And he really was a hell of a drummer.

4. brector

brector SS.org Regular

Never got into the Stones, but RIP Charlie

5. Humbuck

Humbuck Can't stop, won't stop

6. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

The Stones, and Beggar's Banquet in particular, are the band that turned me into a music fan. My dad used to play it around the house and I remember just sitting there thinking, "whatever this 'music' thing is, I want to be a part of it."

Never thought Charlie would be the first to go. I think with Mick and Keith you were going to have something worth hearing one way or another, but Charlie Watts was the backbone of one of the greatest rhythm sections of his day (another criminally underappreciated album, I always thought, was Howlin' Wolf's London Sessions, where he and Sumlin were backed up by the Stones).

It's funny... Beggar's Banquet is a desert island disk for me, easy top ten, probable top 5... and it was only within the last couple years I noticed that if you start it from the beginning, it's only when you get four tracks in, to "Parachute Woman," that you get a "traditional" drum kit performance. Sympathy to the Devil is all hand percussion, No Expectations has some sort of... cassanette, maybe? providing a sparse click, and Dear Doctor sounds like a tamborine. Even then, Parachute Woman sounds like they're overdriving the shit out of the kit (and the guitars for that matter) on input, to the point where the drums are barely recognizable. It's only when you get to the fifth track, "Jigsaw Puzzle," that you get something that really sounds audibly like rock drumming. It's just interesting to think about, Charlie Watts brought a lot to that album, and in part by just staying out of the way and finding different ways to drive the beat.

ArtDecade likes this.
  7. Louis Cypher

Louis Cypher SS.org Regular

Being from the UK the Stones are just part of British life and culture, like the Beatles their music is ingrained in you from birth and it's hard to imagine a world without them tbh. I wouldn't say I was a fan but I can see it's obvious how important they are musically and what a huge part of that was Charlie's drumming, just classy as hell and as @ArtDecade say just his ability to play in the pocket made such a huge difference. I'm sure for those who are more versed in a lot more of their stuff will say there are better tracks that show case his talent but for me Honky Tonk Woman is just sublime, and is my favourite stones song by a mile, mostly coz of the groove. Got tbh I never got why that intro drum section wasn't sampled more as its right up there imo with the Funky Drummer break.

ArtDecade likes this.
  8. philkilla

philkilla Baritone Maniac Contributor

Damn. He definitely lived a full life.

I can't belive Mick is still rolling along.

9. ArtDecade

ArtDecade John Bohlinger's Dank Stash

Mick? Keef!