Rings of saturn's lucas mann's guitar ability described by recentlydeparted guitarist

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by brutalwizard, Dec 18, 2014.

1. spawnofthesith

spawnofthesith SS.org Regular

.... pink Floyd too while we're at it :mad: :butthurt:

2. KJGaruda

KJGaruda Likes a good riff

Finally the speculation can be put to rest!

3. flaik

flaik SS.org Regular

aahh, this sucks.

I've always kind of liked Ros and never cared about the whole "half speed/note-by-note" recording thing because I have seen them pull of their shit live (and who cares, there was never a competition about who could have the cleanest sweep on their album).

hearing from a reliable source that Lucas is being such an ass these days that he wont even motivate himself enough to learn the material anymore is just disappointing though.

looks like I have to finally join the fvck Lucas Mann bandwagon despite enjoying Ros' music in the past.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2014
  4. Fred the Shred

Fred the Shred Shrederick

So they record individual notes and Lucas Mann can't play the band's material. Oh my! The surprise!

5. ForThisGift

ForThisGift SS.org Regular

Anyone who didn't already know that they recorded everything note by note was in denial. The news here is that he wasn't using it as just a production technique to capture the "brutal desolation of space and the intergalactic horrors of the great unknown." Turns out he's just a fake. Oh well.

6. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

I'd actually think that who cares about the means of recording ? It's the result that matters, you like it or you don't. Pretending you can play while you can't isn't very bright but a recording is a recording. I don't like his music, either.

7. Ed_Ibanez_Shred

Ed_Ibanez_Shred Baritone sixes

This whole situation is so juvenile "hurrr I don't like RoS because Lucas can't play his parts and that makes their music objectively bad", Joel's comments are only fuelling this retarded shitstorm and to be honest it was always bitchy and puerile even when it was just the fans/haters saying it. :noplease:

It's like you're all looking for reasons to legitimise a petty hatred of a band, when you could just not listen to them :lol:

8. schwiz

schwiz Lefty

This band sucks.

9. Ed_Ibanez_Shred

Ed_Ibanez_Shred Baritone sixes

this is exactly what I'm talking about :noplease:

10. Darknut

Darknut SS.org Regular

I think there are a lot of people on this forum who are more than equipped to write and record music that they aren't capable of playing. I'm also sure those people have had many complex riff ideas and solo ideas that they wish they could utilized in their music, but chose not to because they can't actually play it, which goes against the point of playing guitar in the first place. You know, expressing and conveying feelings through your instrument? That whole thing? This is why people say, it doesn't need to be perfect live as long as you get the feel across, etc. But if you rely on the mechanical technicality as a defining characteristic of your music, and your feelings have expressed themselves through an articulate playing style you can't replicate live for whatever reason, you're setting yourself up for failure. Trailing everyone along and not being able to deliver the goods is one thing, lying about it, causing a stir, and asking for $20,000 in the process is another.

Others have tried explaining how messed up this is by saying things like "when you write something you should be expected to play it live" or something similar, which I think gets at the point, but still leaves room for misunderstanding. Really, everyone knows what we're talking about, its simple. When you play guitar, and you have videos of you playing guitar, and its shit that that you wrote for guitar, its no wonder that people will expect you to actually be able to play it on the guitar. I mean, he isn't Skrillex, dancing around with headphones on a laptop playing sequenced recordings and samples of instruments. This is metal, he has a guitar, but there is still a computer playing sequenced recordings and samples of instruments.

Did I mention the 20k part?

11. Darknut

Darknut SS.org Regular

Touche, but you could have just as easily ignored the thread and not responded, especially if the music sucks so bad and the discussion is so petty, lol.

12. Konfyouzd

Konfyouzd Return of the Dread-I

Well damn...

13. Nats

Nats SS.org Regular

heh .__________.

14. Draceius

Draceius I hate everyone on this site

And half the people in this thread could probably ignored it and not respond if they were just going to act like kids and make this as petty as they did, even if they think the music is bad. There are a lot of things people could chosen not to do, but that is irrelevant, people say what they want regardless of how petty. I think that much is clear from the responses here, the comments on the articles about it (because we undeniably love gossip) and the comments and other crap said on Lucas' facebook.

That said this is pretty funny to watch, I can't say I'm not guilty of enjoying a good shit storm.

TelegramSam likes this.
  15. Fred the Shred

Fred the Shred Shrederick

I think the appreciation for the music is not really too relevant if at all in this context - the whole shitstorm has some wicked entertainment potential, however, and some aspects are simply rather comical throughout the whole soap opera. I think the one objective issue here is how one pretends to be able to play something only for people to find out he is nowhere near there. In short, it's a far more heated version of the whole HAARP machine debacle.

16. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

Hey, at least Al went back and learned his shit. I don't remember a whole lot of complaints about their Euro tour with the replacement band.

I write music I can't play ALL THE TIME. I would never dream of recording and releasing it unless I could pull it off in a live context. I think part of pushing yourself as an artist and composer is delving into areas where you are not comfortable, but you should use that as a way to progress. What I find amusing about this situation is that the new record could have EASILY been composed of the samples of notes they recorded for the last one, and if dude could actually play most of that stuff, why can't he play the new stuff? Its not like one diminished run is much different than another. I mean, if you can sweep through one run of m3-tritone nonsense, why not another?

Maybe he just doesn't know about Guitar Pro's Speed Trainer feature. Ya know, where you practice stuff at an increasing tempo, over and over and over and over and over again until your neighbors (mom in his case) are pounding on the walls. Just like probably every "real" shredder out there had to do to be pull off the music they write and perform.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2014
  17. DarkWolfXV

DarkWolfXV Excised n anatomised

Way to burn bridges and be unprofessional. That's why he'll never be even nearly as successful as Lucas even if Lucas can't play his own stuff. He should've kept his mouth shut.

18. Zalbu

Zalbu More time than skill

Was there ever any proof provided that the HAARP Machine stuff was faked? :scratch:

Anyways,

The only person who's unprofessional here is the musician who can't be bothered to learn how to play his own music. Why would this burn any bridges for Joel when Lucas is already seen as a walking joke by anybody whose opinion matters?

19. Chi

Chi Niverlare

A successful douchebag? Yeah, Mann's got that label alright.

20. BrailleDecibel

BrailleDecibel I keep my dad jokes in a dad-a-base.

I will agree to the point that he did indeed burn bridges (if they weren't burnt already) with that statement, but it sounds like he wanted them to be burned, and as far as unprofessionalism goes, I would have to say composing/releasing songs and then refusing to learn any of them, leaving your band unable to play any songs from the new album they're supposed to be promoting on tour takes the cake in that department, and that's before adding in all of Mann's other exploits in douche-canoeism that have been well-covered in this and prior threads and that I won't bother re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-repeating here. :lol: