Rings of Saturn - "Ulta Ulla"

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by squids, Jul 28, 2017.

1. squids

squids .

so far i'm kinda underwhelmed. i wasn't the biggest fan of Dingir but i really liked Lugal Ki En, it was more straight-forward and punishing.
    Ulta Ulla has some good moments, but i feel like it is more melodic than anything, and the vocals kinda get lost in the mix. was hoping for more weird "alien" scales. i guess it's only the first day so it could grow on me, but so far i'm only really liking "Margidda". (edit; on the plus side, at least it doesn't sound as fake/editted)

2. vilk

vilk Very Regular

I liked Dingir a lot when it came out because it's worlds ahead of Embryonic Anomaly, which isn't even good imo. But somehow along the way I got over the novelty of it and I didn't end up listening to Lugal Ki En until it had been out for like a year. However, I do enjoy Lugal Ki En. I haven't had the opportunity to listen to Ulta Ulla yet, only just one music video, but that one track didn't measure up to anything on Lugal Ki En.

I was almost going to purchase it outright but after hearing this maybe I'll spin it on youtube or bandcamp once or twice to see if it's worth it.

also, maybe this should be in the unpopular opinion thread, but the attack-less sibelius tone Rings of Saturn uses on Lugal Ki En is part of what makes it good.

Part of what hurts this band's sound, in my opinion, are the deathcore-scream vocals. If they were all guttural like Dismembering The Goddess I think they'd sound better for it.

3. squids

squids .

yeah "inadequate" didn't do anything for me and still doesn't. i like their tone on LKE as well, it suits their sound well, though there are some chuggy parts on Ulta Ulla where the tone has some attack to it and i am digging that as well.
    I didn't buy it outright either (thank you apple music haha) but at this point i can't say i won't buy a shirt at a show or something. it's a good album but it seems like lucas has gotten past the "novelty" side of things and pushed things to become a real band. Immemorial Essence's first half feels a lot like LKE, and then the interlude gets more Dingir-esque, so that's cool i guess.

I'm not sure if i agree with the vocals comment, the vocals on ulta ulla are also completely different from LKE, i wouldn't say they're like disfiguring the goddess, but they are definitely different.

4. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

After that "here's theory behind the song" video I lost all interest in this album...... "Here's one chord progression that ALWAYS ends on the 7 to lead into the beginning again"

squids likes this.
  5. Tech Wrath

Tech Wrath SS.org Regular

They thought way to hard on this. Less creativity and overall, like you said, underwhelming. Miles spent too much time trying to use theory and ended up using less of it in the end. It seems like they tried to appeal to the masses rather than trying to improve their own sound. Lugal Ki En will forever be one of the only deathcore records I could consider one of my favorites though.

squids and AngstRiddenDreams like this.
  6. squids

squids .

So i've spent a good amount of time with the album (i've been trading off car time between ulta ulla and VOM's Eclipse, as well as some of the new contortionist) and i don't hate it. it's well written for what it is, it's definitely more approachable from a new listener standpoint. i realized they completely changed their tone from Lugal ki en though; guitars seem more saturated and gainy to me. the drums don't overpower the mix too and overall theres a lot more room in the mix save for a few parts, which is kind of nice (considering i blew out a speaker listening to lugal ki en last year lol)
    i still don't really like that it's not as "out there", not very alien, which is ROS's claim to fame. if theres anything that they do well, it's write alien metal. that doesn't necessarily mean it's bad, but it's definitely more deathcore to me. there are more melodies, and the instrumental song is definitely my favorite of all the ones they have done. Miles did try to use theory way to much, which isn't bad, but there's one little section on "the macrocosm" that is very music theory-ish so, it's pretty obvious they spent a lot of time formulating the songs, which i guess they did in the past, except on GP5 hahaha
    I don't know, i like it, but it's not lugal ki en. BUT i don't think anyone was expecting another lugal ki en. if you haven't bought it, id recommend it. Prognosis confirmed is definitely the most "ROS" song on the album. start there and then skip around.

7. Velokki

Velokki GAS station

Listened to it a couple of times. Doesn't really have anything memorable for me. I loved Senseless Massacre, Godless Times and The Heavens Have Fallen from the last record, but this just doesn't have "it" there. Some good tunes and weird things here and there, but this record does leave me wanting for more. It bugs me how predictable the songs are, compared to previous albums. In previous ROS you really had no f'in idea what's behind the corner.

8. Kevcarnage

Kevcarnage Well-Known Member

It took a few listens but I finally came around to it. I agree Lugal Ki En is their best album. I love every song on it. Dingir and Embryonic Anomaly are some of my favorite deathcore albums as well. With Ulta Ulla I was disappointed how drowned out the vocals seemed to be and that the drums were not in your face as they were on the previous albums. The alien space vibe seems to be missing. However Immemorial Essence, Margidda, Harvest, The Macrocosm and Prognosis Confirmed are all tracks I really enjoyed

9. MikeH

MikeH Bring the gain

Are these even real words?

10. squids

squids .

Lol. im pretty sure ive made "essence of immemorial" in lab.....

11. BIG ND SWEATY

BIG ND SWEATY Edgy

I'm not into this album at all, I listen to RoS for insane space metal and this album has very little of that IMO. Miles is a fantastic guitarist and all but I definitely agree with the people saying he uses too much of his theory knowledge when writing RoS songs, I think Lucas just got tired of everyone and their mother shitting on him for his hyper edited guitar pro songs so he brought in someone to inject a little more of a human sound, which is a damn shame since their inhuman sound is what drew me to them back when I first heard Embryonic Anomaly. Ian is sounding just as good as ever though, that dude has one of the sickest voices in death metal.

squids, couverdure and Kevcarnage like this.
  12. squids

squids .

i wonder if lucas specifically parted ways with joel omans in order to do this, i remember joel was pissed and shit-talking lucas all over, which could have been because lucas told him "if ROS is ever going to be great we need some theory and neither of us have it, and it's my band so i'm replacing you"
    (just speculation but this band always brings ouut the conspiracy theorist in me)

13. TheBloodstained

TheBloodstained Casual music entusiast

New listener here :wavey:
    I guess you're right? I've never really been into Rings of Saturn. I remember listening to Dingir on YouTube when it came out and not really liking any of it. I mostly ignored the band from then on until recently when I heard "Harvest" from Ultu Ulla because of YouTube autoplay. That track blew me away big time!
    I bought Ultu Ulla a week ago, and is currently listening to it on repeat in my car. I'm not really sure what to think about the record. The overall style of Rings of Saturn is a bit more extreme than what I normally listen to, but I'm really digging what I'm hearing so far.

Also been listening to Lugal Ki En on YouTube, and I plan on buying that at some point. I think it has some really cool elements on it.

I doubt I'll ever get deeper in that style than those two albums though, but I'm glad that Rings of Saturn has been added to my record collection ;)

14. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

New listener here too. I never liked anything before this but this album is really good. I'm not sure if it was the addition of Miles but its a lot more melodic and catchy.

15. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

It's definitely a lot more predictable, melodically and structurally.