Rig idea: Poor Man's Super Kraken ... opinions?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Backsnack, Aug 13, 2019.

1. Walter W.

Walter W. Active Member

The MT15 sounds pretty heavy

Backsnack likes this.
  2. Meeotch

Meeotch SS.org Regular

Man, I hear ya. I've been interested in both the Super Kraken and the pedal version for a while now. But seriously, based on your wants and needs, look no further than a 5150 III 50w. Version 2 with the concentric pots can be found mint for $800. 3 channels and sounds killer at home volumes.

The MT15 is probably the best value for a stand-alone metal tube amp, but for the full package (midi, resonance/presence, headphone out, switchable loop, etc) the EVH cannot be beat. Add the Kraken pedal down the road if you want more tonal flavors in the future. :metal:

rexbinary and Backsnack like this.
  3. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

Late to the party here, but I'd also say just get the super kraken. I've been down the "poor mans..." thing before, and it never satisfies. I don't play in a band anymore, and wanted a Fryette UL. I couldn't rationalize the purchase, so got a CL50. But, after years of going around and around online, trying to figure out if I really had enough of the tone, I finally bought a UL. If you found out the pedal version gave you 99% of what the actual Super Kraken gave you, my guess is you will still pine for the real deal.

Backsnack likes this.
  4. Backsnack

Backsnack Many strings

Well he says it right in the video. The cut to 7 watts hardly makes a dent in the crazy volume. He didn't even turn it up past 9 o'clock. :lol:

Walter W. likes this.
  5. alekosh

alekosh SS.org Regular

The mt15 route is what i did. Super happy

6. Deadpool_25

Deadpool_25 SS.org Regular

Do NOT get a Super Kraken.

Don’t get me wrong, it is a phenomenal amp but it is definitely not bedroom friendly. At least not without some assistance. I’ve been able to cut the volume with a volume pedal in the loop which does work fairly well. Outside that, you’d want some kind of real attenuator—I’m considering the Boss TAE. That’s expensive though.

If I was going the on-a-budget route, I might actually just use my Boss Nextone and the Kraken preamp. The Nextone has excellent cleans and is great at low volume. It actually has a very good drive channel too. I have mine setup with an AMT P2. I’d say it is a budget SK like that.

Backsnack likes this.
  7. Backsnack

Backsnack Many strings

Your ears must have been burning. I was thinking sending you a PM to ask you this exact question! This weekend I remembered your NAD thread from a few months ago. (“Wait, some dude with a Deadpool avatar wrote about it ...”)

Deadpool_25 likes this.
  8. Backsnack

Backsnack Many strings

@Deadpool_25

It’s too bad Boss doesn’t have a Nextone head yet ... maybe soon?

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
  9. Deadpool_25

Yeah that would be cool. I have the Nextone Artist and I’m sure I could put it in a headshell pretty easily. Good idea. You should do that. :D

10. Backsnack

Backsnack Many strings

The Nextone series looks really interesting. Did you compare it to a Katana before you bought one?

11. Deadpool_25

Yeah I actually had a Katana 100 combo and dumped it for the Nextone. The Nextone sounds way better to my ears. The Katana is a very good amp...for the money. A great value. The Nextone is a very good amp. Period.

12. sharedEQ

sharedEQ SS.org Regular

If thats true, the solution to make any amp bedroom friendly is to get an MXR 10-band eq, run the master on 5, and use the eq pedal in the loop to reduce the output gain and tweak the frequencies to make it sound better at low volume.

Deadpool_25 likes this.
  13. Deadpool_25

Yeah, that does work pretty well actually. Specific to this thread, it works well with the Super Kraken. However, I didn’t like using just the EQ pedal, but I don’t remember why now. I’ll have to check it again.

14. Meeotch

Meeotch SS.org Regular

Except that doesn't work quite the same as a MV since you are still pre power section. All it's doing is giving you a bigger sweep on the MV knob. The reason attenuators are so popular is because they strive to capture the complete tone of a cranked amp at lower volumes (but IME it's always a compromise).

Ultimately, the MV dictates how bedroom friendly an amp can be. It's one of the most important features I look at when amp shopping! Luckily in modern times, it isn't too hard to find quality MV's.

15. Deadpool_25

That’s kinda true but with a lot of amps these days, they seem to be getting Tone from the Preamp and not so much the power amp. If you don’t get your Mv above around 10:00 anyway, a volume pedal and/or EQ in the loop probably won’t be too different than a budget attenuator, no?

16. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

That does actually work quite well on amps that have horrible master volume tapers. Victory Kraken/Super Kraken and PRS MT15 would be perfect candidates for using a solution like that. You know the type, you put it on 0.5 and it's 100 dB already and to go lower you need to have surgical precision when turning the knob, effectively making the master volume useless at lower volumes.

Attenuators to me are not worth buying unless you are willing to put the money down for the top tier units like the Fryette PS2 or Boss TAE that retain both the sound and feel of the amp being attenuated. If you don't care that the cheaper attenuators will severely dull your high end and make the amp feel flat then go ahead, buy that cheap Bugera or Jet City etc.

People put way too much emphasis on "cranked" amp tone when really the magic is volume. It sounds better because it's louder and most of you play modern high gain amps that don't benefit from cranking them beyond the effects of volume itself on how we hear them.

17. Meeotch

Meeotch SS.org Regular

There are some blanket statements being made here, but generally I agree. Attenuators are most valuable with NMV amplifiers where gain and volume are directly linked. I've tried true attenuators like the Rivera Rock Crusher, and when used with an amp with a good MV it's never a better option for volume reduction. A lot of players are finding that a reamper like the Fryette Power Station does a much better job at retaining the tone of a cranked amp.

Everyone knows how important the preamp section is in a modern high gain amp, but it is a misconception that dismisses the role of the power section in tone shaping. The volume pedal in the loop trick can be effective at widening the MV sweep as mentioned, but it does not take the place of a good MV post power section. Obviously in the end it's up to the player to decide what sounds good!

18. Deadpool_25

I definitely agree that a good MV is the best option but for amps that don’t have a great MV (like the SK) you end up looking at other options. EQ pedal and/or volume pedal in the loop or an attenuator. The question is which is the best option for each person. I’m considering the Boss TAE but still weighing options.

19. efiltsohg

efiltsohg SS.org Regular

volume pedal in the loop is the same as a master volume just with potentially more usable taper

20. Backsnack

Backsnack Many strings

@Deadpool_25

The reviews for the Nextone seem to be somewhat mixed. A handful of generally positive reviews, but also some that are confused by where the amp fits in terms of target market/price point, and that the different power sections don’t make too much of a difference in the tone. Some folks also seem to not like the overall sound of the drive channel, despite the different power amp voicings.

What’s your take on it? I just watched the Anderton’s blind comparison video of it to 4 different tube amps. I was wrong/picked the Boss as the preferred sound 3/4 times, lol.

Deadpool_25 likes this.