Richie Kotzen releases new video “Venom”

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Louis Cypher, Jun 13, 2019.

1. Louis Cypher

Louis Cypher SS.org Regular

Richie just blows my mind, not just an amazing guitarist but fantastic songwriter and vocalist

Also I love that strat

2. USMarine75

USMarine75 Plays Authentic ® Contributor

Been watching this video constantly the past couple days!

His MIJ Strat is amazing. Thick baseball bat neck but it plays killer and the Dimarzio pickups are awesome.

Someone on here referred to RK as dad rock lol... he's faster and smoother with his fingers than most guys with a pick. That lick at the end of the solo is aces.

Plus the dude sings like Chris Cornell (RIP) too?... unfair!

Louis Cypher likes this.
  3. Louis Cypher

Louis Cypher SS.org Regular

Same here!! As well as the couple he posted a year or so ago Riot and The Damned, Really love The Damned!

He is so fluid, always loved his phrasing and his legato skills are beyond! Then his voice and songwriting skills!! The man is way too gifted! I loved to have a tenth of just one of his skills. Dad rock!! LOL!! I think I have to admit that he is my favourite rock act/guitarist actively out there right now

I would love to get hold of one of his strats, one of the things I like is the sound of the thicker neck especially. The gold hardware is tidy too!

4. Esp Griffyn

Esp Griffyn Play more music

The neck on the Strat is not thick at all. It's a round C, thicker than the average Strat but not by much at all. The signature Tele is beefier, not dissimilar to the old Jim Root Teles actually.

The Kotzen Strat is a fantastic instrument, the CIJ quality puts the US Fenders in the shade. It was one of the nicest guitars I've had the pleasure of owning.

When I think of a thick neck, I think of those chunky, horrible things on Gibson LPs and SGs.

On the subject of Richie, I don't mind his rock music but I wish he'd do some more fusion. His Inner Galatic Fusion Experience album was absolutely killer, especially the tracks with Jeff Berlin on bass. If Winery dogs stopped doing their middle of the road rock and dropped a fusion album that would be incredible. I do think Richie sounded better when he used a pick too.

5. Bdtunn

Bdtunn SS.org Regular

Not unfair at all. I always thought he sounded like Cornell. Had this on the other day and my wife asked who that was (she never asks about music haha) but even she said he sounds like him, all in a good way!

USMarine75 likes this.
  6. USMarine75

USMarine75 Plays Authentic ® Contributor

Haha I literally couldn’t disagree more with everything you said:

I love thick Gibson and Fender necks.

I’d hate it if Kotzen dropped a fusion album. Last thing I want to hear is more fusion noodling... There’s enough of that already out there. And it’s the total opposite of his current style.

This is what fusion guitarists sound like when they try and play with feel. I really like Miller and Smith as fusion players, But I could go a lifetime without hearing this 0/10 garbage:

I LOVE RK’s playing without a pick. That’s literally my favorite thing about his playing.

Oh and I love the Winery dogs and their “middle of the road rock”.

YMMV ;)

7. Esp Griffyn

Esp Griffyn Play more music

8. InHiding

InHiding SS.org Regular

I really liked that song :yesway: