RGD7UCS vs. RGR752AHBF

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by !llusioneR, Jan 16, 2019.

Which one to choose ?

1. rgd7ucs

19 vote(s)
    67.9%
  2. rgr752

9 vote(s)
    32.1%
  1. !llusioneR

!llusioneR SS.org Regular

Hi guys,

I am going to have NGD soon. Checked a lot of guitars and finished with these two.
    Which one to choose?

I am aware of longer scale on rgd7ucs and reversed headstock on rgr752, i am also aware of different bodies (ash/mahogany).There is difference of price, however, even if i buy rgr752, i would instantly replace pickups with BKP (aftermath/nailbomb).

Regarding to neck/finish/reliability, which will work better?

Also regarding sound =>
    I am mostly playing prog metal and also death/melodeath. I am running through Engl Savage 120 + Vader 4x12 with Eminence Legend speakers.

Thank you very much for your response :)

2. AC.Lin

AC.Lin Poopy-di scoop & Scoop-diddy-whoop

The RG752 is 25.5" while the RGD7UCS is 26.5".

Just because of that, i think your choice should depend a lot more on the tuning you plan on using.
    For a 25.5", a drop G# should be the lowest.
    While with a 26.5", you can go as low as Drop F# or G standard.

I do prefer the RGD, but i also think it is way too expensive for what it is.
    After all, it's just "another" black guitar with a longer neck and no special feature.

My advice would be to look at something else if you plan to tune it low. Maybe something like the RG2027XL (27") if you don't mind the floating bridge, or the new RGD71AL (26.5").
    If you don't plan on going lower than G# then the RG752 is for you though.

But check the new Ibanez Models that just came out. Everything is on their website and you might come across a new option that suits you more.

3. Metropolis

Metropolis SS.org Regular

Both are made in the same factory, so quality wise they will be almost the same. If your tonal preference is on the brighter side and you tune low, get the longer scale. About only thing I would be worried about is that matte black finishes tend to polish and age not so nicely.

4. !llusioneR

Well, yes, RGD7UCS is mostly 2127fx with bareknuckle pickups with 700 EUR bonus price and ebony fingerboard. However in some reviews people stated that it just resonates much better than 2127fx even it has same body.. "type".

I am play in Drop A tuning. I am comfortable with both 25.5 and 26.5. I would really like to avoid floating bridge if not necessary.

Also already checked all new models, where axion label looks interesting, however they are produced in Indonesia.

5. Albake21

Albake21 "Just get a used Ibanez Prestige."

If you play Drop A, definitely go with the RGR. It's cheaper, looks better (in my opinion). The 26.5" scale is not worth the extra price. Since you said you are changing the pickups, why not save the money and do it yourself.

6. Glades

Glades Down in the Everglades

Agree with this. For Drop A or A Standard the 25.5" is a much much better option. The extra 1" is a handicap that you don't need to take unless you go really low in your tuning. I own an RGD2127z and a couple of 25.5" sevens.

Masoo2 and Albake21 like this.
  7. Vyn

Vyn Not a Sparkly Vampire

Have had both, I still have the RGR752AHBF. The lowest I go is Ab and 25.5 is fine with it. It's the same quality but much, much cheaper - even after you swap out the factory pickups to pickups of your choice.

AkiraSpectrum and BTS like this.
  8. soldierkahn

soldierkahn BAD MAMMA-JAMMA Contributor

I play music likes this.
  9. AC.Lin

Am I missing something? Because this is literally a RGD7UCS with a yellow color and a reversed headstock.

So exactly the model we are all saying is too expensive for what it is, that lacks features and with a longer neck he doesn't need.

Have you actually read the thread or the original post ? :cond:

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
    Albake21 likes this.
  10. BigViolin

BigViolin breakfast foods

That Axe Palace RGRD is legit. Nice contribution to the thread.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
    soldierkahn likes this.
  11. !llusioneR

Well, I still like black version (RGD7UCS) more :) only difference beside color is reversed headstock, as stated on most sites, body is from basswood, not mahogany.

Anyway, from what you say, i am leaning towards RGR752 as +700 eur for RGD7UCS looks like overkill.

Albake21 and Ammusa like this.
  12. soldierkahn

did you not read the part where it says, "mahogany body"? or are you just really searching to find something about me to bitch about?

13. soldierkahn

thank you. this was the the 7 i was planning to get with income tax time, until Ibanez announced the 2027XL. The DCM100 is arguably one of the best sounding Ibanez prestige 7s theyve ever put out, and this one is a seriously bitching hardtail version/take on the DCM100/RGD7UCS, with SS frets, ebony board, beautiful finish, awesome bridge, and stock Bareknuckle pickups (can always pay to change them).

So yeah, I did think this was completely worth mentioning.

14. soldierkahn

the model i reccommended to you is not basswood, it is mahogany brother. the standard RGD7UCS is basswood.

15. !llusioneR

Nice triple post ;) i was just checking the price on few sites (thomann, etc.) .. and basswood was stated there as body. Anyway, that yellow body is really not pleasing for me and if it is mahogany, it is even less interesting for me. Anyway, thank you for your response, i just need to compare guitars i stated. I already checked new 2019 models and also older models and excluded few models, that was pretty suitable for me.

16. AC.Lin

I wasn't trying to sound mean.

But yeah, i'm sure a mahogany body, a reversed headstock and a ugly yellow make a lot of differences compared to the base model.

soldierkahn and !llusioneR like this.
  17. soldierkahn

the mahogany body does makes a considerable tone difference from basswood. i had a DCM100 for a while before trading it off for a 970XL and I really loved that mahogany tone from that beast. the reverse headstock though, while being totally irrelevant on the DCM100 and all other locking nut 7s, on a hardtail with a normal nut, there is a noticeable difference in feel and playability for those with reversed headstocks.

18. soldierkahn

Sorry lol. I always try to respond to posts seperately. no problem brother, i just wanted to make sure you knew of the model because they are going to be amazing :) Good luck in your search :)

19. davis1224

davis1224 SS.org Regular

I will say either choice is fine, but I cannot justify the upcharge on the rgd.
    The rgr looks killer and I really prefer the black hardware compared to cosmo black. In fact I kind of think the cosmo black hardware destory the whole sleek look of the rgd :/

I own the 6 string rgr variant and a uppercut rg6ucs.

Albake21 likes this.
  20. penguin_316

penguin_316 SS.org Regular

Ibanez is coming out with tons of new guitars very soon, a lot that not only fit your reuquirements but exceed them. Wait till NAMM or google “new Ibanez 2019 line”.
    Multi scale, diff pickup options, stainless steel, prestige, new finishes, new woods, etc etc.