RGA 8 Crazy Pickups experiment

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by Almighty669, May 20, 2017.

1. Almighty669

Almighty669 SS.org Regular

Greetings ppl,
    So I've got myself an Ibanez RGA8 2011 model and somehow what I've seen online about it got under my skin, so I ordered an EMG8x to swap it with the stock LOZ8 bridge as the neck doesn't really bother me and it sounds quite good with cleans (hence that's the only case i'd use it so far).
    But after dissecting the guitar many questions came to my mine and I really need help with that if you'd be so generous to give me some of your time for this.
    so the main question is do you think that it'd work if I powered the 3 volts LOZ8 with the same 9 volts battery as the EMG?
    The other options would be to keep two separate power circuits or to cancel the LOZ .
    Some other details of what I'm planning to do is removing the stupid EQ boost thing and installing the EMG tone knob , probably all of the stock electronic would be replaced with the EMG stuff.
    Any Advices

2. vick1000

vick1000 SS.org Regular

Only one way to find out, over volt that sucker, may sound great, may melt the preamp.

I would just ditch it for another EMG.

3. studmiester7

studmiester7 Official Logo

Question, as this is years later, did you ever do the experiment? I recently acquired the same RGA8 with the LOZ8 pups, and was curious about using a 9v instead of the 2x AA batteries (3v). Do tell!

4. odibrom

odibrom .

Just scrap that RGA8 electronic. everyone and their mother did it. You won't regret it.

5. studmiester7

Well...I will report soon. I will be ordering a set of Lundgren M8s to replace, but until then I'm curious enough to see if a 9v power source will improve on the tone, or not (or fry the preamp lol). It would be great info for those who don't have the budget for a pup-swap right away.

6. studmiester7

I have discovered two things when replacing the 3v power-source with a 9v power-source.

1. I cannot believe how much better the pickups sounded! Opened the tone and attack wide open on those LZ8s.
    2. Way too hot!! Unfortunately the pre-amp is not able to handle the extra load, and gave off quite a hot 'ringing' sound after you mute the strings.

Verdict: Fun experiment, but I reverted back to the stock 2x AA system in fear of frying the pre-amp.

downburst82 likes this.