RG852 EMG 808 to 808x swap

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by devnull, Nov 16, 2016.

1. devnull

devnull SS.org Regular

So after owning this guitar for about a week or two, I have decided I can not deal with the muddiness of the low F with the 808's. I have heard and read reviews on the 808x and they all seem pretty good.

Being that I am lazy, it seems like these should just be a direct swap from the 808's, correct? Unmount, unplug 808, plug in 808x, mount and I'm done right? This is all just an assumption, but I don't see why the current pots/jack for the 808 wouldn't work.

This would be my last ditch effort before swapping over to passives, but I would most likely pay a tech to do that as my soldering skills are lacking and rerouting a ground to the bridge doesn't sound like my idea of a good time.

So, would it really be that simple of a swap?

2. endmysuffering

endmysuffering I'm serious

Try blackouts.

3. endmysuffering

Yeah, its just a case of unplugging and plugging in the new one.

4. devnull

devnull SS.org Regular

Would that be the case with blackouts as well? Crossing manufacturers and such..

5. endmysuffering

Yeah, same system.

6. endmysuffering

The blackouts come with an adapter, no solder required.

7. endmysuffering

Make sure to sell the emgs.

8. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire only the dead have seen the end of GAS

9. vick1000

vick1000 SS.org Regular

I prefer the X series in my 852. I would also use the included solderless install kit, the pots are much better, and it includes the active tone pot for the 808x.

10. rami80

rami80 SS.org Regular

The only difference in the X series pickups is the on preamp right? How different is it?

11. takotakumi

takotakumi SS.org Regular

It would be a direct swap. However, I HIGHLY recommend the 57-8/66-8.Best set EMG makes.

You could also try in the meantime the 18Volt mod. I had this particular guitar and that mod made the tone much better. More headroom and less compression from what I remember. Not "X" better, but better than the stock 808 tone.

12. erdiablo666

erdiablo666 I'm from Canada...and they think I'm slow...eh

I used to think this too, but it's not quite that simple. You can unplug the old ones and plug in the X series, but they won't sound right. The X series pickups use a different tone control. If your guitar has no tone then you'll have no issue. But in the likely event that it does, you'll need to swap the tone pot for one of the X series ones.

13. vick1000

vick1000 SS.org Regular

14. devnull

devnull SS.org Regular

This comment has kept me from swapping them over. I didn't see on their documentation how to just install the tone pot without converting the whole guitar to using their solderless install system. Which would be easy, but I am guessing I would still have to solder the pickup selector to that buss they provide.

Was really hoping it would be a direct swap.

15. Rook

Rook Electrifying

I direct swapped and:
    - The tone pot thing doesn't matter unless you use the tone control. When you turn it down it just has a different roll-off I think. Turned all the way up I'm 99% sure either sounds the same.
    - Yes it's unplug, re-plug-in, simple.
    - I was lucky enough to own all the 8 string pickups EMG owned at one point and the 85-8 and 85-8X were by far the most surprising ones of the pack. The 808X sounds good but I found it a tiny weenie bit underpowered. The 85-8 and 85-8X were both just that bit fatter and louder, the X just a little less saturated than the standard 85-8.

The 57/66 set is great but also saturated sounding - if you want clarity I absolutely cannot recommend a pair of 85-8X's enough, or 85-8X bridge, 808X neck.

In the meantime, try lowering your 808's away from the strings a load, it stops the internal preamp from saturating and brings out a load of dynamics, makes them much more bearable until you switch 'em out.

16. devnull

devnull SS.org Regular

So an update. I swapped just the pickups out and while it doesn't sound bad, I'm noticing an audible knock when switching pickups with the selector.

That said, I think whoever mentioned that the tone pot had to be swapped was correct. I've looked over the instructions and it seems to do that I would need to use the whole solderless system. Which would be great as I don't solder much and in turn suck at it. However, it does appear that I would have to solder the pickup selector and the input jack as well. Which leads me back to my initial problem of sucking at soldering.

So, I was just thinking that since I never use the tone control anyways, could I just bypass it? At least until I feel comfortable enough to solder in the future. Only issue is I can't find a proper tutorial on how to just cut the tone pot out of the equation. Anyone know of one or can offer some insight?