RG8 or RG5328?

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by Ethan, Jun 25, 2020.

1. Ethan

Ethan SS.org Regular

Has anyone here regretted settling for the rg8? Seems like a solid guitar but I have a feeling after the honeymoon phase wears off I'll be left wanting more. Super on the fence between these two guitars and a 7 string.

2. bzhang9

bzhang9 SS.org Regular

theres several excellent ones in between

Iron Label 8s you can find under 700 used
    RG2228, RG852 you can find under 1k used

3. erdiablo666

erdiablo666 I'm from Canada...and they think I'm slow...eh

I've probably been unlucky because all the RG8s I've laid hands on have been firewood.

4. Marv Attaxx

Marv Attaxx SS.org Regular

I've had a RG8 for a few years. Was a nice-ish guitar, player well and with the EMG808x upgrade it sounds quite good. But the bridge was mounted way too far towards the neck and intonation was impossible for the two lowest strings. So I got rid of it, had a few 8 strings in between (a RG8MS for example) but I wasn't happy until I got my RG852. Once you go Prestige you'll never look back :D
    I have to grin like a madman everytime I pick it up, it's just perfect and everything works as intended.

5. Carl Kolchak

Carl Kolchak Last of the famous international playboys

My 5328 was POS.

Save your money, and get a Schecter or a used Kiesel.

6. cardinal

cardinal F# Dive Bomber

I'd get a used 852.

7. 73647k

73647k SS.org Regular

This, or a 2228 in good condition.

A little off-topic, but it's too bad Ibanez doesn't make a Prestige 8 with fanned frets..

Wildebeest, Joan Maal and TrevorT like this.
  8. binz

binz SS.org Regular

There are two RG2228 for 850 on ebay-kleinanzeigen.de in case you're in europe. One with Duncans and one with EMGs

edit: actually, three!

9. metallidude3

metallidude3 SS.org Regular

I’ve owned a 2228. They are amazing guitars for the price. I picked mine up from gc around 2014 for about $699 or so. Every once in a while you can find stupid deals on them. The necks aren’t truly flat, though. They have a bit of a super flat C shape to them.

redkombat likes this.
  10. Shawn

Shawn ESP • Ibanez Forum MVP

I’ve had my RG8 for 6 years now and it’s been great. Something that really surprises me is how strong the paint is considering it’s an Indonesian made guitar whereas my MIJ Ibanezes, the paint seems to have chipped easily over the years. My RG8 is still mint. I think the RG8 is a great guitar for the price, it’s done me no wrong.

redkombat likes this.
  11. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Rich over at Ibanez Rules still has a NOS S5528 in stock and ready to deal. I doubt you'll find anything better for the price, as far as Ibanez 8s go.

12. redkombat

redkombat Tree Whore

my rg8 actually has the nicest neck and a decent body. ive tried a lot of rg8s that weren't nice, and a few that were as nice. a good rg8 just needs new pickups. bad rg8 = shitty firewood. no experience with the 5328 but ive heard the body wood and qc problems are just better

13. EdgeCrusher

EdgeCrusher SS.org Regular

I must have gotten lucky with my RG8. It's actually an RG8004 in sliverburst, which was a GC exclusive, but otherwise just a regular RG8. GC actually set it up fairly well, despite coming with 11's or something. I reset it up with the D'addario 9-80 set. Neck feels great other than some slightly sharp fret ends. I've been meaning to file them down, but haven't bothered to yet after playing it as my main guitar for the past 3 or so years. Put in a set of BKP's and now I rarely even play my MIJ RG7621 and RG570. I have zero regrets and ended way happier with it than I thought I would be. It was a gamble on a $199 8 string from GC used online that totally paid off :)

redkombat likes this.
  14. teamSKDM

teamSKDM SS.org Regular

ive had a rg2228 with bkp aftermaths bought and sold it for 1200 , missed it , bought a used rga8 for 325 shipped that has a flamed maple neck and also bkp aftermath set and same hardware like bridge etc and it absolutely surprised me and satisfied me. ended up liking the rga8 neck profile alot more , and found it more resonant acoustically which may be the mahogany vs basswood. after theyre setup professionally and pickups upgraded the rga8 is definitely solid ground where you may not need more past it for your 8 string demands.

15. noise in my mind

noise in my mind SS.org Regular

I had an rga8, one of the worst guitars I have ever owned. terrible upper fret access, terrible tuning stability, and terrible pickups. I have a rg2228 now, and it's miles ahead. Just go with a prestige in general and you can't go wrong.

16. mungiisi

mungiisi SS.org Regular

I had a RG8 for a while. Bought it mostly on impulse, but also by pure interest towards 8 string guitars. Sold it few months later and haven't regretted it.

The guitar was ok-ish, despite quite heavy neck dive and difficulties to get the intonation correctly on the lowest string. The stock pickups were not great, not worst.

I would recommend to save a little more and find an upscale model from 2nd hand market.

17. Joan Maal

Joan Maal SS.org Regular

Same here... had my RG2228 (two times) you cant go wrong with it. LIght years ahead Rg8s

18. Phlegethon

Phlegethon SS.org Regular

Short version of the story: get the 5328 and don't consider the RG8 at all. Slightly longer story why below:

Bought an RG8 at the beginning of the year, and promptly took it back as soon as I was able after seeing numerous things wrong with it. Gouging and tool marks on the fretboard, input jack was cock eyed, and a paint chip where almost half an inch around was missing paint that the factory attempted to hide by putting the strap button on the upper horn. Absolutely zero regrets in returning it in spite of the fact that I've wanted an 8 string for a substantial amount of time.

the indo guitars became a lot more hit and miss from when I stopped playing guitar around 2010 for ~7 years that's for sure. Would I recommend them now? In this case no way in hell. Any playability problem that might happen on a six string with this level of quality is only going to be magnified if you add more strings.

19. binz

binz SS.org Regular

What would you pay for a used RG2228 though? Currently there are some locally but for around ~ 1k € which sounds quite expensive to me. I think I recall seeing them go around 600-700 or do I mix something up here?