rg8 modding questions

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by Benadon, Jul 23, 2018.

1. Benadon

Benadon SS.org Regular

got an rg8
    i like the neck and stuff, aaaaand... i got fishman abasi's in it.
    so i wondered how bad does the tuners bridge and nut effect the playebility of the guitar?
    i am just starting to try more string gauges and idk, i always want to improve on my hardware.
    so i thought to swap to hipshot tuners and bridge and swap a nut into a brass one, it will end up like about 280$ improvment.
    and you dont do half a job i guess?..
    i could use some tips and suggestion over the hardware choices and the choice in general.

2. cardinal

cardinal F# Dive Bomber

Unless they are giving you a specific problem, upgrading tuners and the bridge would be far down my list.

A new nut can vastly improving tuning stability (getting the slots the width and taper) and playability (getting the height right).

Personally, I’d spend that money to get a pro to level all the frets and cut a new nut. If the guy is good, your RG8 will play as well as any custom guitar possibly could.

odibrom, MaxAidingAres and Zhysick like this.
  3. M3CHK1LLA

M3CHK1LLA angel sword guardian

ThePhilosopher likes this.
  4. Benadon

Benadon SS.org Regular

I find my instrument to tune suprisingly well and the frets feel fine i think, i am not really sure how are they supposed to feel. I just polished em using steel wool, lemon oiled and stuff and waiting for a9-80 set of strings to come any minute ( used to use10-74 and it wasnt so great, probebly better for multiscale)

5. lurè

lurè Fake Shredder

I think you can contact Graphtec for a new pre-slotted nut, so you don't have to file it down.

6. Benadon

Benadon SS.org Regular

i have seen some spacificly made brass nuts for rg8, seems to be made from guys named GuitarTechs

7. MaxAidingAres

MaxAidingAres SS.org Regular

Yeah honestly upgrading hardware, unless it is faulty, is pretty much pointless. The hardware that Ibanez uses is more than good enough. Just isn’t high grade material, or the most ergonomic design/feel.

I agree with cardinal, new nut, and fretwork. If you are anal, locking tuners but let’s be honest here locking tuners are practical but not necessary.

8. Benadon

Benadon SS.org Regular

i wait for my new strings to come by, see how i like the frets now that they are nice and tidy including the fretboard.
    how much will a new nut will improve my guitar? and which meterial? i have seen a brass one made for rg8 specific on ebay for 13$ but then about 13 more for shipping (middle east, and i wont find any nuts here anyway)

9. MaxAidingAres

MaxAidingAres SS.org Regular

But material is subjective. People are going to standby whatever they are used to using or what works for them. With that said bone, graphite, brass are all useable.

10. Benadon

Benadon SS.org Regular

so no specifics, yet i cant understand what changing it metters at all.

11. Benadon

Benadon SS.org Regular

Alright guys one improtant question:
    can i make my guitar with the fishman (3 voices) fluences abasi's to a 3 way switch with a toggle instead of volume that uses voice 3
    and volume knob instead of tone that changes from voice 1 to 2 with push pull?