RG7620 spec'd neck into RG1527

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by Axayacatl, Jul 31, 2013.

1. Axayacatl

Axayacatl SS.org Regular

Can an RG7620 neck fit in a RG1527 body? I think the RG7620 is 66mm at the heel but I don't know how to compare it to the RG1527 pocket.

I know they are both AANJ. I looked online but didn't find a clear answer.

Can anybody help me please?

2. Metamurphic

Metamurphic Dimarzio CRUNK-Lab Contributor

Scale and AANJ will be OK but the neck width of the 1527 is 68mm. I wouldn't recommend trying to install a smaller width neck into a larger pocket. There may be a solution to make them compatible but it's certainly not going to be a straight swap.

3. Axayacatl

Axayacatl SS.org Regular

Thanks for the heads up.

REally sucks, sounds like i'm fukkked!!!

This is a custom neck and I've been waiting on it forever. Oh well, two more years :lol::lol:

4. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

Neck shims?

5. 7stringDemon

7stringDemon SS.org Regular

What year is your RG1527 body?

From 2003 to (I think) 2006 they had a 66mm pocket width.

6. cardinal

cardinal F# Dive Bomber

Yup. If you really want to use the neck, shouldn't be incredibly hard to shim the sides of the pocket. Honestly, some guitars have pretty large gaps on the sides of the neck pocket, but as long as the neck is bolted on tightly, I'm not sure the gap would make a noticable difference (could install machine screws like Yngwie and others use, which would allow you to really crank it down). You'd just want to be sure the neck is aligned properly.

7. Axayacatl

Axayacatl SS.org Regular

Guys, really grateful with all the replies! Things looking less hopeless as far as this project is concerned.

7stringDemon - LOL at your super specific knowledge, that's awesome. I will find out tomorrow about the year (and can actually measure it out!)

Jazzhands and cardinal - thanks, nice to confirm that shims are OK even if just an aesthetic 'imperfection' (you're right, so many guitars have them).

A gap WILL NOT affect once I start playing the damn thing but the idea of a gaping gap on my 'custom' guitar does just a little bit....

So, moving forward I see that

1. I could use shims, so not all is lost and

2. Well, I'm getting the body (and headstock) refinished anyways!! So in theory I could potentially ask the painter/luthier to actually mod the neck pocket as needed.

guys... :yesway::yesway::yesway: thanks!

8. 7stringDemon

7stringDemon SS.org Regular

Ibanez is kinda my thing ;)

Also, this might be a little odd, but I actually think shimming the sides and having the two small gaps at the sides of the neck looks really good. I've seen such a thing done on PLENTY of Ibanez 7's. I don't have any specific examples, but I know I've seen it somewhere.

Guess it's just one of those minor aesthetic things that you either love or hate :shrug:

9. Axayacatl

Axayacatl SS.org Regular

just searched for the image on some strats and i have to agree, it kind of looks good. gap or no gap, as long as it plays well i'm good, i'll never notice it again.

10. cardinal

cardinal F# Dive Bomber

Bright side of having gaps is that you won't get those stress cracks around the neck pocket.

11. Axayacatl

Axayacatl SS.org Regular

this started out as a worry thread and it ended in something positive. my next custom is gonna have gaps spec'ed out! :lol: