RG7421 Refinish Project

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by ASoC, Dec 15, 2014.

1. ASoC

ASoC Downpicker \m/

So I just got this RG7421 in the mail today and it needs some love. The finish job thats on there is terrible, aggressive sanding has misshapen the body some, a previous owner tried to ebonize the fretboard and got stain all over the neck, and the neck wasn't seated, most likely because the neck screws weren't coupling well enough.

Pics of the guitar as it is now

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attempt at shaping here just makes the stomach cutaway look messy and gross, I'll have to fix this

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That gap :noplease: also, the crackling finish

I currently have the guitar in pieces and I'm using a razorblade to clean up the extra stain. This project is going to be a bit slow because of a lack of both funds and free time. That being said, I don't really know what kind of finish I'm going for here. Anyone have some cool interesting ideas for a finish?

thraxil likes this.
  2. odibrom

odibrom .

... perto de onde a terra acaba e o mar come├ža...
    I like that color...

3. Black43

Black43 Hated Ibanezes once

Methinks this guy should stay away from guitars in future judging by the looks of his "improvements" :eek:

Anyways, good luck. Can't wait to see how this turns out.

4. skeels

skeels ..to pay the beels

"Agressive sanding" :rofl:

Please save that guitar.

5. op1e

op1e Spirit Taker

I would maybe get another body at this point and have the neck painted in a satin anything to cover that horrific stain.

6. aesthyrian

aesthyrian SS.org Regular

Jeeze, what the hell do some people think they are capable of? Clearly the individual that "modded" this cared not about details or even results. They just "go at it" and end up with this crap result. :lol:

Oh well, nothing too bad here, IMO.

If you are determined and do your research then this will turn out quite nice, I think.

As far as what finish to go for, I would suggest a solid color so you can fill in the "lovely" custom bevels, smooth them out, and paint over it.

Seriously, this looks like such a fun project. Those screw ferrules for the neck are making me ill though, wonder where those came from?

7. ASoC

ASoC Downpicker \m/

I'll do my best. :hbang:

Yeah I don't know about those ferrules :scratch: I'm probably going to order a set of original ones.

As far as the finish goes, I've got a lot of potential ideas bouncing around in my head. They are: BSB, Swirl, Holoflash, Metallic color, Sponge finish (think like the Apex 1 Nebula that was done here on the forum a while back)

8. Pikka Bird

Pikka Bird Vaya Con Cornholio

If the finish was actually a highly polished metal flake version of that same colour then I'd be all over it (provided the sanding would be corrected).

How good of a deal was it, with all those mutilations done to it?

9. ASoC

ASoC Downpicker \m/

it was a really good deal, especially since it came with Sperzels and new bridge saddles

10. ASoC

ASoC Downpicker \m/

Christmas Bump!

I found a little bit of time before work today and I got started on scooping out the lower horn. I figured I may as well go for it, since I have to recontour a bunch of the body anyway.

[​IMG]

11. feilong29

feilong29 SS.org Regular

12. ASoC

ASoC Downpicker \m/

That was actually one of the many RG project threads I read through while preparing for this project (I probably also read it when it was current).

I put a little bit more time into it today:

That's where I'm at with the horn scoop right now, I'm not sure how deep I should make it, what do you guys think?
    [​IMG]

I started taking the finish off by hand with 80 grit sandpaper. This part is a bitch :lol: I'm working again tomorrow (Friday) but I have the day off on Saturday, so I'm going to try to finish stripping the finish off then.
    [​IMG]

13. Blue1970Cutlass

Blue1970Cutlass emberwolfmusic.com

If you think you can swing it I'd vote swirl for the finish personally

14. ASoC

ASoC Downpicker \m/

Ok, so between weather and my dad coming to town, I haven't gotten much done. However, there is some progress, so I'll just throw up a few pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you can tell, the paint was disgustingly uneven (particularly on the front). I started the sides too, and its not any better. There are areas where the edge radius of the body is totally screwed up, and I'm not sure exactly how I'm going to make it look right. I could re-radius the body, but I'd have to increase the size of the edge radius and I hate that look. Anyone have any ideas?

In other news, I decided that the best thing to do to the neck would be to strip the clear coat off and refinish it. So, everything below the headstock is tung oil now and the headstock still has the factory finish

[​IMG]

And it's not showing up at all in the picture, but the neck actually has some nice flaming going on. I'll make sure to capture that next time I update.

15. ASoC

ASoC Downpicker \m/

Call me the Necromancer, because I'm reanimating this dead thread.

Here's where the guitar stands today, after I finally found time to work on it again
    [​IMG]

I shot the final coats of light grey primer today, and decided to just pick a color that spoke to me when I went to the store. I ended up going with fluorescent pink, purely on a whim. I also got a set of stock Ibanez neck ferrules today, though I am a bit dissapointed that they're in Cosmo and not black.

Edit: I'm also seriously considering getting a pick guard and making this into a sort of RG7550. Does anybody have any opinions on how that might look. I'm on the fence about this

16. ASoC

ASoC Downpicker \m/

So I shot the first few color coats today, pretty stoked on the color, seeing it on the guitar has convinced me that I need a pickguard, so I'll order one today

[​IMG]

17. aesthyrian

aesthyrian SS.org Regular

Yes! This is a great makeover. :shred:

18. ASoC

ASoC Downpicker \m/

Glad you like the color :hbang:

Unfortunately, this might take a bit longer than I thought, I got some spitting when I was spraying color coats today and it caused a couple runs. I'll assess the damage when it dries, and I'll see if I can sand it out without sanding through to one of the layers of primer. If all is well I can start spraying clear tomorrow, but my gut tells me that I'm going to have to get the back flat again. Oh well, c'est la vie

Edit: Almost forgot to put up today's eye candy
    [​IMG]

19. Mikemtm

Mikemtm SS.org Regular

Great job so far! Hey if your going through all that trouble when you get done, line your pickup cavities and electronic cavities with copper. You probably were going to do this anyway, but it will significantly reduce the noise. Here is a link.

Single-coil buzzkill: the why and how of electric guitar shielding. | stewmac.com

You can buy this from Stewmac or off amazon. Also look at upgrading your pots and capacitors. But if you do nothing else right now, line the cavities.

20. ASoC

ASoC Downpicker \m/

Oh I'm definitely planning on shielding the hell out of this guitar, I have materials from previous projects.

As far as electronics go, I have a new 3 way blade for pup selection and mini toggle for coil splitting and I'm planning on getting a new volume pot. I have a brand new cts pot, but the shaft is too big for the hole in the body and I don't want to ream it out now that I've already started painting. Losing the tone pot because I don't use them.

I looked at the guitar today and it looks pretty flat, so barring any sandthroughs when I wet sand with 400 grit, I should be spraying clear today

EDIT: so I sprayed clear today, time to let it cure before the final wet sand and polish
    [​IMG]