RG7321 vs RGA7 vs RGD

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by thetobarmethod, Jun 25, 2012.

1. thetobarmethod

thetobarmethod thetobarmethod:/

To start, im completely aware that there are other threads similar, or exactly like mine. Im here for answers so dont slit my throat over it.

Im an intermediate player, i sing in my main project "Memoir"
    And im joining a deathcore/metalcore/death metal band as rythme
    I personally prefer baritone guitars, but as we know, those are few and far between from major manufacturers. I have been comparing these three gits for awhile now, and im leaning towards the RGA7, my only issues are its mildly useless eq switch, and painfull ordeal of switching its pickups + adding a tone knob since they have a diff cut-out and the eq switchy would need to go with the pups.

So gimme some opinions and info on what your suggested guitar would be, and please no bias or references to "bad personal experience" i dont want that crap here, i see it enough as it is

Heres some information:
    -Definite pu switch(unsure of what pickup to switch to yet, still thinking)
    -Changing intonation to fit 12's
    -Prefer to spend no more than $550
    -Playing through a solid state randall
    -Will be gigging and recording with it
    -Must handle mild player abuse (nu-metal/Post-hardcore style presence)
    -I require i repeat! require jazzy cleans!

Thanx :shred:

2. broj15

broj15 SS.org Regular

Given your budget and the fact that you require a pickup change it sounds like a used rg7321 or, if your lucky, a used rg7421 will be your best bet

3. havocvulture10

havocvulture10 SS.org Regular

How about a used Schecter Hellraiser C-7 or used series a ESP LTD H/M series? The H-207 is a good pickup. Also, the Damien Elite 7 has a 26.5 scale length if I'm not mistaken...

4. Garrett

Garrett Blinded By Ibanez

This. This is just about your best bet. I paid $350 for my 7321. that includes a pickup change. 7321's are very abundant for cheap.

5. Jason_Clement

Jason_Clement SS.org Regular

I've RGD7421s go used for about $350 before. Might be your best bet and pick up swap. 26.5 inch scale yeeeesss.

6. skisgaar

skisgaar Master-debatur

I would say go for the RGD. longer scale so tension is better, which would be great for the sort of stuff you're playing. I think it generally looks better too, I mean those bevels are insane XD . The RGD is also as customizable as a lot of other Ibanez rg's. stick a crunchlab and liquifire in there and you're smooth sailing. dimarzio's, lets say $100, guitar about $350-$450, so well within budget i would say :3

7. thetobarmethod

thetobarmethod thetobarmethod:/

Yea, i was going to buy a ltd 208 down the road, and i am still tore between the RGA7 and the 321 cuz, i LOVE ARCHTOPS but i want to switch pups.....i may just get both. snag a rga7 now, and wait for another pay-check, then steal a cheap rg7321.

8. PyramidSmasher

PyramidSmasher Chess Dragon

If you can swing this you'd then be able to have a backup which is always nice :hbang:

9. vancouvermetalguitarguy

vancouvermetalguitarguy SS.org Regular

If you are planning to upgrade to tube amps later on, then you have to start considering more factors on the guitar such as pickups, wood, etc...

But if you are playing a solid state, I wouldn't really worry too much about how they would sound to be honest... Rather I would worry about if you are drop tuning or not (the 26.5" would benefit from this).

10. vinniemallet

vinniemallet EBMM Addicted

7321 it's a good choice

11. themightyjaymoe

themightyjaymoe Zombie Autopilot

I had one of these. Great sounding guitar, affordable and perfect for mods. Once I get a new amp I'm getting another one of these bad boys.

12. shredmaestrobri

shredmaestrobri Well-Known Member

I currently (and I think forever) have the RG7321 and RGD7421.

I favor the RGD7421 over the RG7321. I like how it generally feels and sounds due to the longer scale neck (I tune it to standard B with gauge 10s set for 7 on).

But the RG7321 is good on its own too! I won't be letting that go as I really like the RG look and how sexy it feels for me.

RGD7421 is more manly, RG7321 is sexy. Both would benefit with change of pups. I

A live clip of my band Il Nomine Patris (Il Nomine Patris | Facebook) playing our song Brimstone III using my RGD7421 with DiMarzio Crunch Lab 7 and Liquifire 7: Il Nomine Patris - Brimstone III (live at Baguio) CLEARER AUDIO - YouTube