RG5221 vs RG652AHMFX

DarthV

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Definitely RG652AHMFX. Gloss >>> matte, normal headstock > reversed, nicer color scheme, centered dots look a bit nicer, $500 cheaper too.

I'm firmly in the camp that wood does fuck all to the tone. Even if it is bright for whatever reason, there are a million ways to fix this - play with the pre-eq, play with the amp's eq or post-eq, change the pickups, switch to 250k pots

Bright acoustically? Sure. Not sure how wood would make any differences to magnetic pickups through an amp!

bloodocean

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I have a 5221 and it’s stellar.

The SS frets feel a little more slippery on bends. They also make a bright “snap” on string attack, but seemingly only noticeable when playing unplugged.

It’s noticeably heavier than a basswood RG but it’s not a tank.

Pickups are quite nice, and the coil split is more fun than I thought it’d be.

IMO the volume knob is a little too close to the strings, but minor gripe.

I thought the Gibraltar bridge was ugly so I replaced it with a Hipshot Ibby. Totally frivolous purchase.

The Ibanez reverse headstock is OK, but nowhere near ESP or Jackson in terms of looking awesome.

Effortless and rewarding to play all around. It’s a great visual companion to my 1989 desert sun yellow RG550 as well.

bloodocean

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Advantages to the hipshot bridge? Or just cosmetic?
Tbh I barely played the stock bridge but I think the OE Gibraltar bridge might be a better design than the Hipshot in that you only need 1 Allen key to adjust intonation and action. The Hipshot uses a Phillips head screw for intonation which is not quite as nice.

The Hipshot is a solid chunk of machined brass, which is definitely nicer than the Gibraltar which is likely pot metal that will eventually corrode.

It was really a cosmetic decision in the end.

DarthV

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Tbh I barely played the stock bridge but I think the OE Gibraltar bridge might be a better design than the Hipshot in that you only need 1 Allen key to adjust intonation and action. The Hipshot uses a Phillips head screw for intonation which is not quite as nice.

The Hipshot is a solid chunk of machined brass, which is definitely nicer than the Gibraltar which is likely pot metal that will eventually corrode.

It was really a cosmetic decision in the end.

Thanks, think I'll not add a new bridge to the list with strap locks & strap for the one on its way. I'll see how the stock bridge works for me, nice to know there are options!