ChickenNoodleSoup

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Recently picked up an RG321, and am in the market for new pickups. At the moment I'm a little torn between the Pegasus/Sentient set and the Dimarzio Titans. I'm open to more suggestions, but these are the front-runners at the moment.

General Specs:
-Mahogany Body
-Maple Neck (Wizard II)
-Rosewood Fingerboard
-25.5" Scale

The main tunings that I use are Drop C, Drop C w/ a low Bb, Drop Bb, and Bb F Bb Eb F Bb, so I don't tune down oober low, but still need a tight bass response. I'm not much of a shredder, but still need balance across the strings cuz I incorporate a good amount of the upper register/complex chords into my riffs. I need the pickups to be relatively "open" sounding, and to respond well to right-hand dynamics. I pick rather hard, and don't use much Drive on my amp settings. I don't really use "gainy" tones. I know these pickups are considered "high output," but I'd imagine that they're more on medium-high output scale. I use the 2nd & 4th positions a lot for my cleans, so I need the pickups to also sound great with split-coil sounds. Smooth on the top-end, but still have enough "sparkle." I know a lot of the sparkle can be dialed in one the amp though. Versatility is key.

TRaoul

K.o.R - Official
Reaction score
Hi ChickenNoodleSoup,
I like your ID.

In my experience, Seymour Duncan SH-6 performs the best in Drop Bb tuning paired with a 59.

For drop C, and if you play richer chords, I advise the Pegasus/Sentient set (it's the one I have in my main RGA). At the time, I had been torn between the Pegasus/Sentient and the Titan sets. So I tried both : Pegasus offers incredible balance across all the strings while remaining tight. The cleans are fairly decent, which is really enjoyable.
The Titans are super tight, but that tightness comes with a very original crunch in the upper-mid frequencies, which I didn't really like. In my opinion, these last ones sound a bit warmer because of more pronounced low-mid frequencies.

This being said, you can't go wrong with any of the two.
Cheers,
Raoul

Snarpaasi

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm Currently using Titan and after Crunch Lab my Carvin DC127 has become way more versatile. I'm loving it! I have no experience with those Duncans but heard they would be more or less one-trick pony?