RG2228 nut stripping?

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by PuriPuriPrisoner, Jul 27, 2021.

1. PuriPuriPrisoner

PuriPuriPrisoner SS.org Regular

When I use an 80 gauge for the low E, the bolt will not catch. The threads on the bolt look fine so I'm sure that the top of the threads in the nut are stripped. The threads catch when I screw in the bolt enough though. Anybody know where I can buy bolts with longer threads? The current bolt has a thread diameter of about 3.8mm and a length of about 7mm.

2. Quiet Coil

Quiet Coil Only obsesses over guitars when not playing them.

Ace Hardware? Seriously - take one of the stock bolts with you and see what they’ve got (that’s what I did to compensate for the very same thing before it became an issue).

aesthyrian likes this.
  3. Soya

Soya Poor person

You can get M4 screws anywhere; Amazon, Ebay, McMaster Carr, I'm no help if you're euro though.

aesthyrian likes this.
  4. Daevasmodeus

Daevasmodeus Contributor

Since these 430mm radius nuts are basically impossible to get now, you might want to think about retapping it or putting a helicoil in if they make them small enough. Finding a screw just long enough to thread and apply pressure might be difficult without throwing washers on to make up the difference. Alternatively the RGA8 nuts are still available if you can deal with the radius mismatch.

5. Go To Bed Jessica

Go To Bed Jessica SS.org Regular

I had a similar issue with the nut on my M80M recently - except in my case, the top of the thread actually broke away entirely.

The thread on the original screws on my guitar was 8mm long. I was able to pick up some 10mm M4 screws, which reached far enough into the nut baseplate to grab it properly. I found mine at the hardware store, so they have phillips screw heads, but you can find them online with hex heads like the stock ones fairly easily.

Turns out I'd be tightening them way too hard. You really don't need to put much pressure on them at all. Tighten until you feel the first bit of resistance, and then just the tiniest bit more after that. Those pressure pads really don't need to be super tight to work.