RG2027XVV

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by buck fever, Mar 7, 2020.

1. buck fever

buck fever Contributor

I’m pretty happy to have one back in the house. I’ve bought 3 of these already this year, all of them turning out to be lemons. This one is in pretty darn good shape, although the action is insanely low and buzzes a bit.

D1DE21C8-C2BF-4A6F-9BF7-08F27378ECFE.jpeg

2. mlp187

mlp187 Burrito Master Contributor

Damn sorry to hear about the 3 lemons. Glad this one worked out!!!

buck fever likes this.
  3. odibrom

odibrom .

Congrats on this princess, why were the previous lemons?

Wildebeest and buck fever like this.
  4. buck fever

buck fever Contributor

The first was advertised on Reverb with photos that were probably from when it was first purchased. It showed up with extensive body damage, corroded hardware, and awful wiring jobs inside.

The second had a bunch of hidden damage that one would never find unless they completely dismantled the guitar.

The third was the same story.

In short, I trust no one on Reverb at this point. It’s beginning to feel like the app is just a venue for people to quickly dump instruments that they ought to put money in to maintain.

This one appears to be solid so far, although I’m curious about what the white material is in the neck bolts : 8E798881-D104-4FC8-98E2-A5F4C8233C23.jpeg

odibrom, shupe13 and c7spheres like this.
  5. shupe13

shupe13 SS.org Regular

Congrats!

I'd guess it's polishing compound of some sort.

Wildebeest, aesthyrian and buck fever like this.
  6. odibrom

odibrom .

Damn... too bad for those guitars. People are dumb... maybe that's why I don't do purchases online unless it's local...

Well, good to know that that one is fine. Welcome to the RG2027XVV unofficial club, if you've got any question, feel free to ask.

SlipknotKoRnfan and buck fever like this.
  7. stretcher7

stretcher7 SS.org Regular

Well, I have one and I LOVE mone to death! What did you do with the 3 lemons? You want to get rid of em?

odibrom and buck fever like this.
  8. buck fever

buck fever Contributor

I’ve sold all of them with full transparency regarding condition, although one may be coming back to me. If I don’t keep that one for parts, I’ll let you know! It’s still a pretty good version, just not perfect.

odibrom likes this.
  9. odibrom

odibrom .

In the case you'll get one back and are into restoring it, besides the wood and the saddles (excluding the piezo elements), everything is replaceable.

Oh, out of curiosity, is the mix switch an ON/ON or an ON/ON/ON?, meaning, can you mix mags an piezos or only select between mag or piezos?

10. Webmaestro

Webmaestro Ibanez Fanatic Contributor

Congrats! I scored one of these a few years back in 9/10 condition.

Unfortunately, the only thing really wrong with the one I found was the trem's knife-edges: total toast, so it wouldn't stay in tune nor intonate properly. I consulted with Rich at Ibanezrules.com and he agreed that there was no salvaging them.

But, no way I was gonna return it or let it go.

So, it's been out-of-comission for a few years now. I'll never find a whole new Double Edge, but I did find a new LPE baseplate (which has minty knife edges).

So, once I get the courage to transplant all the Double Edge's saddles and wires to the new baseplate, she should be back in business.

11. Webmaestro

Actually, I contacted LR Baggs and they will still sell you the replacement piezo inserts. I spoke with Morgan Mitchell at support@lrbaggs.com and he said they're $12 each.

They don't advertise it, but if you email and tell them exactly what you have (a Double Lo Pro Edge) they'll sell them to you.

It might be good to actually keep a set around, as I'm sure there will come a time when they're gone for good (this is what I'm planning to do).

odibrom likes this.
  12. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

If anyone wants to sell me their rg2027xvv please let me know. I want one again and can't find them. Then I keep seeing people that buy them. Apparently I have no skills finding these.

odibrom likes this.
  13. buck fever

buck fever Contributor

There’s one on Reverb right now, kind of mislabeled. The seller is in Australia, and after shipping it’ll cost about 2K USD. I keep thinking about it but I have a custom Kiesel on the way with piezo saddles so I don’t think I can swing for it.

grab it up!

c7spheres likes this.
  14. buck fever

buck fever Contributor

And if you don’t, I will soon!

15. Webmaestro

I had an alert set up on ebay to email me any time "2027X", "2027", "RG2027", or "RG2027X" popped up in the listings. Then, I waited... and waited. It took a while and I got a lot of stinkers, but then "the one" finally appeared. Not sure if Reverb has a similar alert feature.

Unfortunately, now there's the new 2027X, so using this method to hunt down one of the older models will probably be more tedious.

odibrom and c7spheres like this.
  16. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

Thanks. Still can't find it for some reason, but $2k is a bit outta my price range anyways. Thanks again though.

17. benny

benny Ibanez RG Addict

Happy NGD, glad you got a keeper out of them even though it took that many tries. Hopefully it was worth the trouble.

Unfortunately, it's easy for online sellers to mislead buyers about an item's condition- bad pictures, selective pictures, short description, dishonesty, etc.

Reverb can do this as well, but I don't use reverb enough to tell you how to set it up. :(

18. odibrom

odibrom .

Probably I didn't express myself correctly, but that's what I meant to say, that one can replace the piezo elements from LR Baggs. I bought them 14 piezos last year for about that price... and have already replaced a set in one of the guitars. They work great.

One can also buy the preamp, which already comes with an ON/ON/ON mini-switch for mag/mix/piezo. ROCK ON! I've also replaced the preamp in one of the twins.

I had a similar problem about 10 years ago, at that time, my guitar slipped from my shoulder (inside its gigbag) and fell on the ground over the strap button. Everything was fine until I noticed that the "High E" knife edge had its support broken, so I could even slide the knife edge out of the baseplate. I managed to get a new LoPro unit (same finish!) and swapped their baseplates. As good as new. I've also broken at least 2 arm holders, so I also got one in backup now... it's important to have a few spare parts...

Nevertheless, If for some instance, one of the saddles brakes, I guess I'll swap the entire unit for an Edge Pro trem... one just has to remove the "metal inserts" saddles and fit in those piezo elements...

Here's one in Itally: https://www.mercatinomusicale.com/m...-seymour-duncan-mogano-7-corde_id6435111.html

Last edited: Mar 8, 2020
    c7spheres likes this.
  19. Webmaestro

It's not a procedure I'm looking forward to, but it looks like it's just a matter of unsoldering and then resoldering the main piezo lead to the PCB (aside from being very careful with those 7 individual piezo wires).

Still not looking forward to it tough :/

I wasn't as lucky as you tough: I couldn't find a cosmo baseplate. Mine is flat black, so there'll be a little mismatch in color.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2020
    buck fever, c7spheres and odibrom like this.
  20. philkilla

philkilla Jesus Saves Contributor

That's a cool guitar. Reminds me of the type of guitar you'd see as a young player, and think you could never ever afford.

buck fever likes this.