RG1527/Edge Pro bridge blocking problem

nilenecrophagist

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Ok, just had my RG1527's trem fully blocked, both ways, like this:

15941778_10207248375078714_257641976_n.jpg

One problem I did not think of until after it was done...the Edge pro has a special feature where it is strung through the back of the bridge, and you don't have to cut off the ball ends of the strings. the smaller wooden block now completely covers the part where you feed the strings through the back.

I spoke to the guy who blocked it for me and he said that I can actually restring it like a normal floyd rose/edge tremolo too, (by cutting off the ball ends and feeding them through the top of the bridge instead, they are clamped whether they go through the back or the front so it doesen't matter which way, he says.

15934477_10207248518602302_205753961_n.jpg

Can anyone confirm whether this is all good? Because if it is, then it is not a problem that I can no longer feed the strings through the back of the guitar.

jerm

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I have an Edge Pro and I string it through the top of the body but I don't cut off the ball ends, you just need to open up the locking blocks a little more.

What string gauges do you have on there? They look pretty big.

robski92

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I have an Edge Pro and I string it through the top of the body but I don't cut off the ball ends, you just need to open up the locking blocks a little more.

I have two 1527's with the Edge Pro and I also feed the strings through the top. Feeding them in from the bottom seems like it would be more difficult. Like jerm said, you just have to open those blocks up a little more.

benny

Ibanez RG Addict
Reaction score
What they said. :yesway:

Open the locking blocks until you can pull the ball ends out through the top. I don't think the edge pro was actually designed to be strung from the back?

ShiftKey

SS.org irregular
Reaction score
it was designed to be restrung from the top with the ball ends still on, unless your guitar has had them removed there should be 7 red plastic clips under the trem next to the block, one for each saddle that the ball end of the string will sit in to stop them from floating about freely.
As for sitting the ball end in just back the string clamp out far eoungh to do it, they were made to for it that why there isnt a little saddle block that can fall out like in other locking trems.

Google search edge pro saddle and you will see what i mean.

Splenetic

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Ditto. Force of habit or something. It's fine without ball-ends. Had my 1527 for over two years now and it's never been an issue.

Webmaestro

Ibanez Fanatic
Reaction score
Oh lord... yeah, you're not really supposed to feed the strings from the bottom. Always through the top. Here's an excerpt from the Prestige instruction manual:

31311102524_047f72e82b_o.png

Last edited: