Revv Generator 120 Mk3 vs Mesa Mark V

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by MrWulf, Jan 12, 2021.

Revv Generator 120 Mk3 Vs Mesa Mark V

1. Revv Generator 120 Mk3

10 vote(s)
    32.3%
  2. Mesa Mark V

14 vote(s)
    45.2%
  3. Others

7 vote(s)
    22.6%
  1. Grindspine

Grindspine likes pointy things

Both are awesome, but I bought a Mark 525. Mesa/Boogie staff treated me like gold when I visited their Petaluma facility in 1996 as a broke teenager. That is something that always stuck with me. Their amps are built like tanks. So far I have owned a Triaxis, Strategy 500, Simul 2:Ninety, Stowaway buffer, Mark 525, and Recto 1x12 cabinet. I still own all except the Strategy 500, which I only sold in desperate times after a car wreck and later replaces with the 2:Ninety.

That being said, I later added a Revv G3 to use for when I want a different flavor. The Revv lineup is pretty solid and my impression of the company is that they are pretty down to earth and good to their customers too.

Either one is a win.

2. Requiem

Requiem SS.org Regular

Definitely the Mesa Mark V. I may be biased having one myself and not having tried the Revv, but the Mark V is the closest you can get to a modeler in a tune head. Due to the reduced wattage and variac settings, you can get some seriously vintage clean and crunchy tones, and not just one of each but several due to the different modes. The Mark V should really be thought of as a collection of amplifiers.

In terms of straight out metal I really wish channel 3 was cloned like the JP2C so you could choose one normal mode and the Extreme mode at the same time, making it a 4 channel amp with 2 GEQ's, hopefully for the Mark VI! The JP2C with its Shred mode sounds like a more aggressive and articulate version of the Mark IV mode, which is great, but you can attain similar sounds with a modern boost like the Precision Drive or the Fortin 33. I personally use the Extreme mode for my main sound because its tighter, more open, and heavier than the traditional Mark sound due to the reduction of negative feedback in the power section. I know the question isnt Mark V vs. JP2C, but I just wanted to let you know my experience before other posters try to sway you to the JP2 . If versatility is what you want in addition to a crushing, modern modern metal sound that sounds great at low volumes, Mark V all the way. Join the club, you wont regret it =)

3. protest

protest SS.org Regular

Based on this I would skip the Revv. It's basically sounds like a KSR mixed with some of the characteristics of a 5153.

Caveat is I had a 100R, so I don't know how the new revoicing sounds. On the R though the clean channel was very similar to a KSR clean with the bright switch off. On the gain side there was a decent amount of crossover but the Revv was tighter, more saturated and compressed. The tone was good, but the feel was detached for me. It reminded me of the things I don't like about a 5153 or certain Engls.

Seamus McFlanery likes this.
  4. MASS DEFECT

MASS DEFECT SS.ORG Infiltrator

What kind of gain saturation do you like? The Mark V can get saturated enough if you run the treble knob higher but it wil still have that mark drier and tighter kind of saturation. The Revv is easier to play and can get pretty saturated but not EVH 5153 levels of compressed saturation.

If you are new to Marks it might come across and feel stiff at times.

5. MrWulf

MrWulf SS.org Regular

NGL I sorta fallen in love with the TriAxis after setting it up and playing its emulation counterpart (Mercuriall ReAxis) so it is actually on the table. Pair it with say, a Fryette power amp and it'd be firebreathing.

The JP-2C is also something that I'm considering too. It is straight forward, no frill Mark IIC+ sound.

Yeah I sort of throw the Revv away already and considering other options

i don't mind it being too stiff if it is articulate and clear. That being said I'm more looking at something that is "modernized vintage" so to speak. Tones that are on the old school side of things but been tweaked to be suitable for modern extended range playing. Because of that I've been looking at either the JP 2C or just custom order my own amp from Jaded Faith. Cost about the same but have what i needed

6. Deadpool_25

Deadpool_25 SS.org Regular

I almost hate to do it because (a) I’m getting predictable, and (b) you say you’ve narrowed it down to those two choices, but...

The 50w Stealth ticks all those boxes. It’s also waaaay less expensive than either of those (although I can see that’s not a huge deal for you). And it takes pedals exceptionally well.

As an indication of how highly I think of it (granted, after swapping in a $20 tube to lower the gain a touch), I sold my Friedman BE-100 Deluxe and packed up the Invective and the 6505 and put them in the garage.

As an indication of its versatility, I was screwing around with some jazzy stuff with a tele, clean and bluesy John Mayer tones with my Strat. Some more bluesy stuff with a Strat and a Tele, some AC/DC and Tool riffs with a Les Paul, KSE and Djenty stuff with a couple other guitars. And all of those sounded excellent imo. Versatility is off the charts.

But if I had to pick one of the two you mentioned I guess I’d get the Mark. Wait, maybe the Revv. But the Mark will have better resale. But I’ve never had a Revv. Hmmmmm. Fuck it, I’m going back to playing my stealth. Later bishes!

WarMachine likes this.
  7. Deadpool_25

Deadpool_25 SS.org Regular

From your posts, you’re clearly a bit of a Mesa fan. Get the Mark V.

8. katsumura78

katsumura78 SS.org Regular

I’m of no help here. Bought a MKIV two weeks ago and a Revv is on order. Never played a Revv which is why I ordered it. The Mesa will never lose resale value. I’m biased though, I’d grab a IV or JP2C over a V. Had a JP2C for a about a year. The V is Mark flavor but it has no “conviction” LOL. Great tweed mode and you can dial the other modes in to sound awesome. IV and JP2C smoke it every day of the week. All that to say, grab a Mesa. Revv isn’t going anywhere anytime soon.

Kyle Jordan likes this.
  9. MASS DEFECT

I have a JP and I still think the V has the better clean channel with the tweed setting. The crunch and low gain settings are fantastic as well and you cant do those on the JP.

protest likes this.
  10. katsumura78

And it’s why I’m glad we have the option to own all of them hah. At the end of the day it’s all preference anyway. Lack of tone in these posts probably made me come off like a “V basher” but it’s a solid tube amp. Can Randall release the VI already ?!

MASS DEFECT likes this.
  11. MASS DEFECT

Not too excited for a Mark VI seeing how lukewarm the Badlander is. They might mess it up. lol

12. protest

protest SS.org Regular

I thought the same thing about the V and had it listed for sale. Then I A/B'd it against a IV with an amp switcher and could get it to sound virtually identical to how I setup the IV. The V just needs some volume.

The only things I couldn't do was match them if you scooped the IV's 750 slider all the way out, but I never ran my IV that way. The IV still had some more sub lows and you had to be more careful on the high end on the V. The V was also tighter. If you threw them into a band mix though you really wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

laxu likes this.
  13. Grindspine

Grindspine likes pointy things

Between the MkIV voicing on the Mark 525 and the Lead 2 Red mode on the Triaxis, I can get them sounding 90%+ the same. There is still a bit more headroom and just a bigger sound in the lows from the Triaxis, but the difference in EL84 tubes vs Sylvania 7581a and Svetlana 6L6 tubes in my 2:Ninety could well account for that.

14. katsumura78

Yeah they totally could mess it up but the JP2C is great. They could still make something awesome... even with Gibson involved. I want to keep hope alive lol.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2021
  15. katsumura78

And maybe that’s my problem, I never got to crank a V in person. Just in stores. The IV sounds killer at low volume so I was expecting something similar for the V. The V is more versatile overall but I couldn’t get that same “ darkness” a IV has to come through on any of the V’s lead modes.

16. protest

protest SS.org Regular

Yea, I know exactly what you're talking about. Me and my buddy who owns the IV try to find a way to describe that sound all the time haha.

I think the V is a better amp, but if you just want that Mark lead tone it's way easier to get it out of the IV. My IV and Rhodes Colossus are the only amps I really regret selling.

katsumura78 likes this.
  17. katsumura78

It’s difficult to describe for sure lol. I just wanted my old IV back. I had one back in 2008/09 and sold it for an axe fx II which served me well for years. Great piece of gear.

We’re so spoiled with gear choice in 2021 it’s amazing. Sold a Nightsky off for a UA Golden this week. Why? To dial in the same reverb tone I always do lol. Can we start a mental health gas fund? Jk jk. The journey is fun and it’s all about finding the gear that makes you play more. Which brings me to a new topic... riffhard . Worth it?

jk Buy a Mark V #closethread. Lol this forum is great and it’s great to see it still active.

Deadpool_25 likes this.
  18. MrWulf

MrWulf SS.org Regular

Im just gonna order a custom amp from Jaded Faith lol. I can get it to my specs and shit without any issues.

19. Floppystrings

Floppystrings SS.org Regular

:eek: