Revv 100p vs ENGL Savage vs Diezel

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by ShiroNekoMusic, Dec 27, 2019.

1. ShiroNekoMusic

ShiroNekoMusic SS.org Regular

Hello there! I'm a proud owner of an ENGL Savage 120 mk and I was thinking about getting a new amp or cab. I'm a super tight metal/djent player, I even boost the ENGL and I'm looking for another head. I love the tones that I heard out of Revvs but... I don't know if a Diezel would fit me better or something. Any advice/comparisons?

2. Thaeon

Thaeon Cosmic Question Asker

Revvs are cool, but they seem a little characterless to me. Knowing this Forum, you're going to hear, 5150, Savage, Mark Series, VHT/Fryette, a smattering of Peters, Diezel, and Rhodes/KSR. And a few get a Modeler/Profiler.

Let me be first to offer Diezel. I own a Herbert. Its sick. Only other amps that have my attention are Peters, Morris, Fryette, VH4, PT100, and Hedgehog. A couple of these will not be what you are looking for. Great tone will come out of any of them.

What are you trying to get out of your guitar tone that the Savage isn't giving you?

3. ShiroNekoMusic

Articulation. I mean, it is a pretty tight amp but I'm leaning towards super stiff tones lately, I'm looking for that perfect low end kind of setting. Diezels sound kind of boomy, good in a way, but kind of fizzy and not super articulated. I've owned a Mark V 25 before and it was kinda meh... so I don't know if a Mark V would be cool. From what I heard, the Herbert is super dense but a bit boomy, not the best for that modern djent 7 string drop A stuff but I might be wrong.

4. Wolfhorsky

Wolfhorsky Regular idiot

5. BrutalRob

BrutalRob SS.org Regular

Dude if you even boost the savage, diezel is not for you. I once owned a dmoll. Not enough bite and articulation. The savage mkii i could play briefly, was absolute opposite.

6. Trainwreck

Trainwreck SS.org Regular

Sounds like a Mesa mark iii or the VHT pittbull for you Bud. I have both plus had the Savage and still own a herbert. If you like stiff and a more sharp cutting tone the two I listed are the best I've found.

7. ShiroNekoMusic

I thought so, I knew Diezels were not that tight as the Savage. I was thinking that perhaps a certain model would be...

I heard the MLC link you sent me! I'm not a rock player so... not for me. I prefer more modern tones.

8. ShiroNekoMusic

Mesa Marks are not for me I think. I had one and ditched it really fast for not being as tight as the ENGL. I'm quite curious on the Pittbull as well as Revvs!

9. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Thy Fart is Murder

A 25w mark is nothing like the big boy version or anything like the older versions. The older versions in particular are tight, bright and aggressive as fuck if you dial them in right, plus they work with 7+ strings with no issue. The newer ones are smoother and less raw feeling, though still capable of pretty much any tone you want. No boost needed ime.

That being said, if you want super dry, the pittbull is the driest amp I've ever played. You'd prob have to boost it to get more gainy tones tbh. The cleans are solid but the high gain sound is very much a matter of personal taste. You'll either love it or absolutely hate it. They have a metric fuckload of low end and can be very boomy if you don't chop out most of the bass on the 3 band.

The Revv 100p is kind of a recto esque starting tone, but with the blue aggression and bright switch on it's very capable of modern djent tones or whatever else you can throw at it. It's a super versatile amp ime. I use mine with 7+ strings all the time and have no issues with articulation. Doesn't need a boost at all ime

I've owned all of the aforementioned amps and the Revv easily holds up next to a classic like the Mark series, while being much more volume friendly. I can run mine in 10w or 100w and still play it without going deaf unlike my mk3 which needs to be run quite loud. The pittbull is similar in that it doesn't sound good at all til you really crank it.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2019
  10. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

Get a VH4 or a Herbert. If you have trouble with tightness on those turn the bass down.

Thaeon and Trainwreck like this.
  11. LeftOurEyes

LeftOurEyes SS.org Regular

May not be what you're looking for but possibly a Splawn? They are pretty tight and articulate. Not for everyone but Quickrods or Nitros are good amps. I have a Nitro with kt88s and it's a good amp.

12. narad

narad Progressive metal and politics

Frankly it sounds like you're not using the amp properly. You can get djenty sounds out of all sorts of amps with the right boost/gate/compressors. Remember that Misha was on Invaders while basically defining djent tone. Nolly isn't as djenty, but he was on a VH4 at the same time, playing all sorts of extremely tight stuff. Neither of those amps is going to be particularly djenty going straight in.

Thaeon, StevenC and XPT707FX like this.
  13. Cynicanal

Cynicanal SS.org Regular

The only one of those I have experience with is the Diezel VH4, but if "stiff" is what you want, the VH4 is not for you... it's tight and articulate, but in a kind of "punchless" way, if that makes any sense. Very easy to play; palm muted 16ths are clear and distinct even without a boost, but they're still very smooth in a strange way; really saturated.

TBH, it almost sounds like you want a Marshall... a JCM 800 2203/2204/Studio Classic with MV dimed, presence way up (possibly dimed; this is important, because as you turn up presence on a 2203 or similar, you get more power amp distortion), and preamp gain just a hair past noon, with a Boss SD-1 in front should give you enough gain for most things, but it's going to deliver it in a really assertive manner that I've never heard and felt a modern high gain amp duplicate (but, admittedly, I haven't played a VHT/Freyette, and they've got a reputation for that kind of thing).

14. ShiroNekoMusic

I got djenty tones, in fact I'm not planning about selling the ENGL. I love how tight and saturated it sounds but I want something extra. My picking is super aggressive even with my neck pickup, so perhaps the idea would be something like the VHT like everyone tells me. The Splawns are a great recommendation as well!

15. ShiroNekoMusic

I don't agree that you can get the "djenty tone" with anything. I mean, ENGLs are good for that but I was thinking about something with less grain, kind of Meshuggah/Tesseract style tone. That perfect low end is superb.

16. narad

Well I own or owned just about every amp mentioned in this thread, so suit yourself. What you should actually do is focus on your effects chain.

Winspear likes this.
  17. ShiroNekoMusic

I'm kind of a simple pedal guy, a bunch of ODs and that's the stuff. Depends on the flavour that I'm looking for (I play other stuff, but I'm mostly a metal player). Of course you can get "djenty" with this high end heads, but you can't get a good djent tone with every amp in the market! Do you own any Revv? How would you compare it to an ENGL or Diezel?

18. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

If you want annoyingly stiff, djenty, middy, and tight, you want the Mesa Mark V.

19. narad

Nah, no Revv. Never really liked the videos of them. I have the Engl SE, Diezel VH4, VHT Pitbull, and Mesa JP-2C now, and a bunch of Splawn/Marshall-ish things (Wizard, Elmwood, Bogner). Without pedals they all clearly have their genres, but with pedals, djent's pretty achievable with anything (maybe apart from the Wizard).

But yea, I would pretty much argue any high gain amp, any OD cutting lows, a noise gate, and an EQ in the loop will get a djent tone. You need to cut the bass prior to the preamp so things don't get too flubby, and then tune the bass to your desired level with the loop EQ. Aggressive gate settings will get the attack.

Amenthea and Thaeon like this.
  20. ShiroNekoMusic

It sounds super good to me in the demos. I'm talking about the 100p, not the normal generator, of course! I will try with my EQ on the loop tomorrow! Thanks for the advice.