Revalver 4, and the ACT EQ review

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by vertibration, Nov 29, 2017.

1. vertibration

vertibration SS.org Regular

So I just wanted to post on here about my experience with Rev 4 and the ACT EQ.

I have a 6505+, and recorded from the amp into Ableton, and used the Fractal Audio Cab Lab with the Zilla IR's from Misha Mansoor.

Then with the Revalver, I set it up with the 6505 block, and the 3rd party vst block running the same cab lab IR. Then with the ACT EQ effect, I profiled my real 6505.

Straight up, it is absolutely indistinguishable. I have not had time to upload a comparison, but I will when I have the time.

The interesting thing about Revalver cloning technology vs Bias, is that you have good articulation and pick attack, as opposed to Bias where things tend to get too muddy and compressed.

This is just my opinion, and I dont think Revalver gets enough love. If you know what you are doing, and know how to adjust the schematics, and properly use the ACT EQ, I think Revalver can sound incredible in a mix.

trem licking likes this.
  2. schwiz

schwiz Lefty

Funny you posted this... I just mixed a song by ABR (NTM) where I was given the printed guitars which were 6505. For the life of me I couldn't get them to sit in the mix right so what did I do? I grabbed Revalver 4 and loaded up the 6505 with impulses of the same cab that was used in the printed track (Mesa straight cab and SM57), and boom... I got virtually the SAME exact tone in the amp sim that I did from the printed tracks... however, I still couldnt get the guitars to sit in the mix, haha.

I just this just reaffirms your point. Good stuff!

3. vertibration

vertibration SS.org Regular

Try and use the ACT EQ block. It works way better than using the same IR. If you use the same IR, and the ACT EQ Match, it perfectly matches the tone.

4. Elric

Elric SS.org Regular

Yeah, EQ/Spectrum is very large part of guitar sound. It won't capture all the dynamics and gain/compression effects but it is simply huge in the percentage of what you are hearing so being able to match something 1:1 is a big capability.

The AxeFx II's tone match and Biases tone matching are loads of fun, too. I have the ACT Combo for R4 and that is neat to use but I have not tried the EQ block. The combo is pretty fun but honestly the EQ might even be better since you pick the starting point by hand and can use all the available models; you might be able to get a much closer starting point (especially for something like the 6505 where you have an actual Peavey amp sim to start with)... the combo only has like three channels to use as your starting point and tries to match *everything* like the Kemper does.