Reunion while not being famous

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by OmegaSlayer, Oct 13, 2016.

1. OmegaSlayer

OmegaSlayer SS.org Regular

So...after 20 years I catched up with my old bandmates, even a couple of the old 6 piece formation (3 years before disbanding).
    They're scattered a bit everywhere around Europe...except one still being in my City.
    So...we have decided that this XMas when everyone will be back visiting their parents, we'll meet and we'll go to reharse.
    Some of them (but were very unwilling to say) haven't touched a piece of gear for ages...I'm kind of figuring out what we can do except have nonsense fun, like 35 + yo old metalheads (former metalheads in some cases) can do.
    Did you ever pulled such kind of move?
    Did you had fun? Was it embarassing? What did you play?
    I'm really looking forward to this and would like to set it up in the best way I can.
    I still play a lot (not in bands) and when we were a band I was tyrannical...so I would like to make things the smoothest and funniest way for everyone...and not be a d!kk and, honestly it will be hard for me. :lol:

And please even suggest songs...genre doesn't matter much as long as it's 1/2 guitars, 1 keyb and so on.
    We played power speed with bits of prog back in the days, but as I said I don't think my buddy still have it.
    I thought Savatage, Conception...stuff like that...

2. Jacksonluvr636

Jacksonluvr636 SS.org Regular

Embarrassing? Can be. I am 36 and still play metal clubs. Is fun though and some of the shows are good.

I would just jam and have fun man, sounds like a good time.

Maybe pick a song that everyone kind of remembers and go from there and do some improv jams.

3. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

Yeah, we did it a couple of years ago at the other guitar player's wedding. Everyone but the drummer was back. We didn't sound particularly good, either. :lol: We just did 2 or 3 tunes. It had been maybe 15 years, and 3 of the 4 of us have kept up with playing. But, it was definitely fun, and good to get together again!

4. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

If you're not recording albums and touring and all that junk, then who cares if the playing skills are a bit rusty? Leave the egos behind and just enjoy the jam. :shred:

5. OmegaSlayer

OmegaSlayer SS.org Regular

You know, I'm straight into this with very low expectations...maybe lower than the guys that have not played anymore.
    I stopped playing for around 10 years and I know how hard it's to come out of that cave (even for basic chord stuff and good pick handling the hands aren't used anymore), my buddies probably didn't and they're in for a rude awakening that I would like to avoid them.
    The other guitarist was "autistic" or that's how we used to friendly and lovingly define him.
    The dude was badly teached to play the guitar, only leads but no ability whatsoever to keep the time in 3 simple chords passage...but he was very good with leads, so we had to taylor his guitar parts for his "strange ability" :lol:
    You know...one of those guys that doesn't have a bit of musical innate talent in his body, but that was so committed and worked so hard, sweated and spitted blood to reach great results.
    Playing with him was an absolute "chore" and headache :lol:, but we so loved him, as he's one of the nicest guys ever, that we wouldn't have changed him for anyone in the world.

6. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

A few years ago, I was back in Detroit for a weekend, and Khereb got back together for a basement show without any rehearsal. It was an absolute blast, but then again, there is something about playing in a band that has a lot of "chemistry."

I've been in a lot of different bands, since I was typically in 3-4 at a time throughout my later teens and early twenties. Each band has its own "chemistry" - some times a group of people get together and can communicate with each other through musical ques and body language, and other times somebody or everybody is off in his or her own little world. And even in a band with a lot of mutual understanding of each other, the overall experience varies greatly. And even if 99% of each song goes perfectly, but no one can nail the ending, it can be draining for the band as a whole.

So, if you guys developed a special sort of understanding with how each other play, then I'd say it is maybe worth a reunion. If not, you'd be better off getting together to drink a few beers and catch up on times.