Resource for learning about bass amplification/electronics?

Discussion in 'Bass Guitar Discussion' started by Danukenator, Nov 30, 2019.

1. Danukenator

Danukenator Kane's Bane

A while back, I posted for recommendations about a decent bass amp for a beginner. IICR, Max was the one that recommended checking out the Fender Rumble series. The Rumbles are truly killer for the price (I got mine used for 150 bucks) and are loud enough to jam along with friends. However, as I've gotten better, I'd like an amp that can be a bit more versatile and generate some more aggressive tones when needed.

Is there a good resource to learn about all the different types of bass amplification (e.g. DI & PA's vs combos, etc.)? I purposely tried to avoid learning too much about the gear side of playing bass early on so that I'd just focus on playing and not become a gearhead...again.

I could just lurk TalkBass and read the forums here but I'd love a resource that digs into the pro/cons of different setups without the uh...strong opinions that forum conversations can generate.

2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

I don't think there's a singular source that can really explain the history and nuance of bass gear concepts and choices.

The overarching theme is that, until very recently, reproducing low bass frequencies has always been much more difficult and expensive than the closest functional instrument, the guitar.

The weak point was, classically, the power section and speakers, which is why early on bassists and manufacturers choice to take advantage of the PA system by significantly developing on board preamps and DI boxes to facilitate leeching (in a good way) off the FoH.

Everyone wants the nebulous concept of "flexibility", but what that means tends to vary by player. I don't think there's a single bass amp today that I'd truly describe as a "one trick pony", it's going to come down to your flexibility as a player and how you use your gear, much like guitar. Sure, some of the more sophisticated (expensive) amps will make getting certain sets of tones faster to get, and a pedal here and there isn't bad, but I'd start with something you like the base tone of and then fill in the blanks.

Like everything, you're going to have to do some real world research and play a bunch of stuff to really grasp a lot of this.

Talkbass is a GREAT resource, but trust your ears more.

Danukenator likes this.
  3. Danukenator

Danukenator Kane's Bane

Thanks for the providing some background on the history of bass amplification!

I guess I'll just have to try out as much stuff as possible in the next month or so.