Replacing one of two active pickups with a passive pickup.

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by zakhooi, Jul 15, 2013.

1. zakhooi

zakhooi SS.org Regular

Hi,

My guitar (LTD EC-407 ) has a SD-Blackout-7str in the bridge and a EMG707 in the neck position. Both are active pickups as you know and are soapbar-shaped.

Now I'm thinking of replacing the bridge pickup with a SD-Nazgul passive pickup.
    The reason for letting the EMG707 stay in the neck position is to still have a active pickup for solo's. I guess active pickups have more sustain because of the power from the battery.

I do have a few question and hope you can give me advice on this.

- How would the wiring look like since only one of the two pickups needs power from the battery.
    - Would it work well to have a Nazgul and EMG707 sit in the same guitar when it comes to volumelevels and output? I mean the actives probably have more output.
    - If it won't work to have one active and one passive pickup, and I also have to replace the neck pickup, which passive equivalent to the EMG7070 would you recommend?

Could you please give me some advice on these questions please.

Thanks in advance

2. imaginary

imaginary SS.org Regular

Hi zakhooi,

correct me if I am wrong, the LTD EC-407 has 2) Volume controls and 1) tone?

Here is what you do:

Remove the bridge pickup, remove the bridge Volume control and remove the Tone control. Also, remove the bridge pickup wiring, which should be connected to the bridge pickup Volume pot.

Sell the bridge pickup, wiring, the Volume and Tone control on eBay!

Use the money to buy Two 500k Potentiometer and a 22nF capacitor*. The Two new potentiometers are your new Bridge Volume and your new "master Tone" control.

In a guitar like the LTD EC-407, the pickups go to the volume controls, then to the switch. This makes it very easy to swap pickups like you intend to do. The active neck will work fine with your passive bridge, adjusting the relative height of each pickup will compensate for any output differences.

As always, Visuals are Much better! Combining these two wiring diagrams into one, will give you what you need:)

This is what you bridge wiring will look like:
    Wiring Diagram

The SD Blackouts are the same connector as the EMG's, so this diagram will represent the wiring of your neck pretty well:
    Wiring Diagram

Hope that helps!

3. zakhooi

zakhooi SS.org Regular

Thanks a lot for your reply!

Why buying potentiometers, can't I just use the onces the come with the Nazgul, or are these different and required for the active/passive-mixed config?

Also, I still get confused in combining these two wiring diagrams, aren't there any diagrams available for this setup I'd like to have? Someone must have had the same thing before and I guess someone must have drawn the wiring before, isn't it?

It's just that I'm very careful with my guitar, I want to do this flawless the first time.
    The Nazgul are not available yet here in Holland so I have a bit time to prepare this.

Thanks in advance

4. AliceLG

AliceLG \m/^_^\m/