Replacing bridge pickup in Jackson Dinky

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by zamboknee, Jul 13, 2021.

1. zamboknee

zamboknee SS.org Regular

I have a seven string Dinky that I'm in the process of replacing the stock bridge pickup with a Dimarzio Tone Zone.
    I'm finding that the new pickup is about 1-2mm to long for the hole.
    Also, the posts have to be screwed in just about all the way and I had to pull the springs out to get it up to a usable level.
    I don't mind dremeling out some of the cavity to accommodate the length but I'm concerned about the pickup height and having to screw those posts down virtually all the way.
    Should I proceed here or did I royally screw up in buying this pickup for this guitar?

2. eaeolian

eaeolian Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore! Super Moderator

I cut the springs in half when the "feet" on the pickup are that short. You should be fine, though.

Emperoff and Zhysick like this.
  3. elkoki

elkoki SS.org Regular

About the pickup not fitting into the route, couldn't you sand off a little of the pickup ears? (or whatever they're called). Not sure if this is a good idea, but with those pickups the bases aren't made metal and should be easy to sand off I think?

Themistocles likes this.
  4. zamboknee

zamboknee SS.org Regular

I thought about that but would rather take sand paper/dremel tothe wood of the cavity than mess with the component.

5. Zhysick

Zhysick SS.org Regular

Fuck no! Just sand off a bit the pickup tabs and don't mess with the guitar.

And cut the springs in half as aeolian said. Also the scres if needed or just buy two short ones.

DiMarzio pups are like that with the pcb baseplate, pretty normal, no issues, just addapt. It's totally doable.

I installed a set of Ionizers on a Jackson JS22-7 and I think that guitar is just the same model so... yeah, you can do it!

Alex79 likes this.
  6. elkoki

elkoki SS.org Regular

I don't know, I rather sand down the ears a tiny bit than permanently alter a guitar. The baseplates on most 7 string Dimarzio's aren't made of nickel or brass like the 6 string ones. The 7's are made of a material resembling plastic so they should be easy to sand down, you wouldn't be damaging the actual pickup... If for some reason you messed up the base plate you could probably just replace it

Alex79 and Themistocles like this.
  7. zamboknee

zamboknee SS.org Regular

I'll sand down the base plate.

BabUShka and Themistocles like this.
  8. ElysianGuitars

ElysianGuitars SS.org Regular

I would do the work on the guitar. It's not like this wouldn't be an issue for everyone else who ever wants to swap pickups in this guitar. Fix it once, then never have to fix it again. Dimarzios are pretty much the standard when it comes to dimensions.

9. eaeolian

The 7 strings with the plastic pointy tabs are literally the only pickups I've seen with this issue. :lol:

skullfxr and Zhysick like this.
  10. zamboknee

zamboknee SS.org Regular

I soldered in the new pickup (bridge) and it sounds good. However, I noticed there's not audible difference between the middle and bridge position of the blade selector.
    Posting a pic here of the before and after so that maybe someone can verify I didn't make a wrong connection.
    Thanks

Attached Files:

11. zamboknee

zamboknee SS.org Regular

12. elkoki

elkoki SS.org Regular

Looks right. Red is hot, black and white soldered together and taped off, green and bare to ground. There's not much to screw up . The tone of the pickup probably isn't that different tonally from the pickup you replaced it with

13. zamboknee

zamboknee SS.org Regular

to be clear, it’s not that the new pickup sounds like the old one. It’s that the new pickup , when selecting between the bridge and middle position on the blade selector, sounds exactly the same between the two positions.

elkoki likes this.
  14. elkoki

elkoki SS.org Regular

Oh I see, in other words the first 2 positions are just the bridge pickup. It's a 3 way switch right? So the middle position should be the neck and bridge combined but the neck isn't working in that position.. Not really sure what your problem could be sorry, examine the wiring for the neck position, make sure nothing disconnected when you were replacing the bridge

15. Themistocles

Themistocles SS.org Regular

Did that when I dropped a tone zone 7 into my DC747. Pretty easy with a sanding block and a grit that isnt super aggressive (because you dont want to overdo it). But it was easy...

16. eaeolian

It's also possible the switch cooked. I've done that. :lol:

17. zamboknee

zamboknee SS.org Regular

'Switch cooked'. I was thinking that too. Will have to hook up a multimeter and check.

18. eaeolian

It also looks like at least one of the contacts may not have a good solder joint with the bridging wire on the switch, so maybe the neck pickup isn't actually getting turned on in the middle position?

19. zamboknee

zamboknee SS.org Regular

Maybe this is a better pic of the solder?

Attached Files: