Replacing a Marshall JVM401H with an Engl Artist Edition?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by oceanrose, Feb 10, 2017.

1. oceanrose

oceanrose Pete

So i have been considering replacing my Marshall JVM401 head with an Engl Artist Edition, however, before i go ahead and do so, i would like to consult with you guys before i make the final call. To give you a better understanding of my situation, let me explain my history with the JVM. I have been quite fond of this amp for quite some time, as it does the job really well for what i do. With the JVM, i mainly play in the veins of Gary Moore, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Megadeth, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, Mercyful Fate, all the classic goodies.

Although it is a very versatile amp and does a great job at nailing the tones of those bands mentioned above, i have grew out of the sound and am finding that the JVM can sound abit too thin and piercing for my taste, even with varying eqs and with the presence control lowered. The lead sound is also not as sweet as i would like it. Dont get me wrong, the tone i am getting would be considered pretty good by metal standards but as you all probably know, the quest for tone perfection is something we guitarist all aspire to.

With this being said, i am wondering if any of you have any hands on experience with the Engl Artist edition? I am looking for a warmer tone that has more low mids character, as well as thickness that Engls are known to have, and an overall sweeter lead sound. I am not concerned about the lack of versatility and shared EQ on the Engl as i will be spending 80% on the gain channel for this particular setup so the focus of the topic will be on the tone and feel of the amp.

Any advice and recommendation is appreciated. Thanks!

Oh and here is some eye candy of the current setup for you folks!

[​IMG]

2. MetalHead40

MetalHead40 SS.org Regular

I played the Artist edition when comparing a few Engls several years ago. I don't recall it being voiced in the low mids to be honest.

I do remember liking the Artist edition a lot, but it seemed a brighter upper mids voicing if I remember correctly. I do recall it being very articulate and relatively warm sounding, but IMO it kinda had a little bit of a Marshall vibe going which wasn't what I was going for at the time.

I think for the style and genres you want it for it would be kick ass. I know I was impressed with it, but I play death/thrash stuff and went for the Fireball 100 which is definitely voiced heavily in the low mids.

The Blackmore or the Savage 120 would be two other amps worth considering if your set on Engl, but those again are voiced heavily in the upper mids. They do cop the tones you mentioned though and they do so very well.

3. Wizard of Ozz

Wizard of Ozz Arch-Mage of Metal

Warm lead tones, low mids =/= Engl Signature tone.

Sounds like a Bogner XTC would be your best bet as that it the tone they are known for. Warm, syrupy, low mids. But all the bands you mention made all of the signature tones with Marshalls. So... Maybe a JCM800 2203 with a pedal. Classic rig, for classic tones.

The Signature Editon Engl head might work... it has EL34s, but might not be dark enough or have enough low-mids for your taste.

4. oracles

oracles Australian in Canada

The Artist Edition is very Marshall-esque, I tend to view it as a steroid pumped JCM800. I like mine a lot, but I wouldn't describe it as a low mid heavy amp at all.

5. oceanrose

oceanrose Pete

An Steve Morse/Savage 120 and Bogner is out of my price range at the moment.. It would be a plus if the artist edition has a marshall characteristics but is warmer. Im curious to know how much gain on tap the artist edition have? I typically use the orange mode on the OD1 channel with gain set around noon boosted with a maxon 808. If the artist edition is able to achieve that ammount or more of gain, it'll be ideal. I would love to try one but that would involve me having to put a deposit on the preorder..

6. oracles

oracles Australian in Canada

Plenty, it doesn't require a boost, and if anything, a boost takes away from the sound instead of adding to it. I can't see you not having enough onboard gain from the amp.

7. trem licking

trem licking SS.org Regular

Don't forget to try different speakers/cabs with your current amp. This has a HUGE impact on the overall sound... arguably as much as the amp if not more. Start with any cab loaded with celestion vintage 30s.

8. Great Satan

Great Satan Hell-o

I'd also recommend the Blackmore, it seems to me more a vintage-based sound whilst still retaining a singing lead tone rather than a typical modern-sounding Engl, based purely on those artists you've mentioned up there.

You can still do metal with it of'c, Abbath from Immortal uses one and the tones on his new album were pretty awesome with high-gain brutality.

9. mhickman2

mhickman2 The Abiding Dude

Ever consider the JVM410hjs? After going through a ton of classic amps, modern amps, and axe fx, I found myself wanting something that sat sort of in the middle. The hjs nailed what I was after, and eliminated a lot of the pedals I was using as well. The Overdrive channels sound awesome, the cleans good, and the crunch nails that modded jcm800 sound. The gates, and voice switches are awesome as well.

10. oceanrose

oceanrose Pete

Wow, the tone on Abbath's new album is really brutal. From what i researched the consensus appears to be that both sounds very similar, but the artist edition has a wide gain stage. Really wish i could try them side by side but in this case im gonna have to take a shot in the dark and hope for the best.

Although i heard great things about the JVM410hjs, it is out of my price range right now. I guess right now its a toss between the ENGL artist edition and Laney TI 100. :hbang: