Replacing a Floyd Rose 1000 for a Gotoh

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by elkoki, Mar 31, 2021.

1. Zhysick

Zhysick SS.org Regular

MIJ quality. I use gotoh pots and gotoh machine heads and I am not looking elsewhere now. Too happy with the brand and the quality. If I ever have a "floyded" guitar again it will be a gotoh for sure.

73647k, elkoki and aesthyrian like this.
  2. elkoki

elkoki SS.org Regular

I actually just realized the tremolo bar is height adjustable. The bar is pop in, but then you can turn it clockwise to your desired height. Just thought i'd throw that out there for anyone else who sees this in the future. OK we can let this post die now :)

Edika likes this.
  3. Dave Death

Dave Death SS.org Regular

I have two Schecters with these trems fitted. One is a Stiletto 6-FR that had some generic licensed Floyd Rose, the other is a C-1 Blackjack SLS FR-S

Both of the them have been fitted with the Gotoh posts, which I would recommend. I have had zero problems with mine since had it installed (I paid a luthier friend to do it both times). Both of the them have been fitted with the small clamp Tremol-No systems.The only issue I have had is with the C-1, which seems to be made from a species of mahogany that is quite prone to fracturing and chipping out. So Steve drilled out the post holes large enough to fit hardwood dowels, and then drilled the dowels and installed the posts into the thin ring of hardwood that was left. So far they have held. Then I fitted the Tremol-No later myself and one of the claw screws made a cracking sound and sawdust came out and it wouldn't tighten, so Steve drilled the two claw screws out and installed dowels there as well and then drilled the dowels to take the claw screws. With the Tremol-No I had to remove one spring and screw the claw in further to give enough travel for full floating operation. I didn't have any of these wood issues with the Stiletto, which is a 2008 (rather than 2014) guitar.

Other than the Tremol-No the Gotoh GE1996T units in my guitars are stock. Both are tuned to C standard with 11-56 D'Addario strings, using two of the springs that came with the Gotoh unit. I simply cut some strips of pickup box foam and inserted them into the centre of each spring to make them noiseless. They keep tune really well, especially the Stiletto, which has a bolt-on maple neck. The C-1 has a set neck and is not quite as stable but still very good. They certainly both hold tune with divebombs etc.

The FR-1000 in the C-1 had a damaged knife edge when I bought it second-hand, and it would not return to pitch properly. The trem in the Stiletto was totally ruined and would not hold tune at all. I installed a Gotoh nut on the Stiletto but the C-1 has the factory FR nut.

You can see the dowels for the claw screws in this photo of the C-1 Blackjack SLS FR-S:

[​IMG]

This is the most recent generation of GE1996T (note the lettering). Note the Gotoh stud-lock posts. It has been fitted with a ceramic Black Hawk.

[​IMG]

This is the Tremol-No installation in the Stiletto. Some routing of the cavity and top was required due to it replacing a non-FR trem.

[​IMG]

The trem in the Stiletto is a couple of years older and is the previous generation. It also has the Gotoh posts. The guitar was routed for a neck humbucker and a new pickguard made for a HH configuration. It has a Black Hawk pickup set with the alnico bridge magnet. Both guitars have Gotoh locking tuners.

[​IMG]

aesthyrian likes this.
  4. Dave Death

I'm experiencing this in all the threads that I have posted images in: when I post the images they don't show, but when I reply to my own post they magically appear. I hope this helps

5. skullfxr

skullfxr SS.org Regular

I have five Jacksons that I have fit Gotoh Floyd's to. For general information sake on a MIJ Jackson you will have to make a small route (1/4" radius) for the corners in the front.

Also from what I have seen from guitars in general that I have seen come into my shop that they don't swap the studs out you will kill the knife edges faster than I would guess the tremolo would with the proper studs. It's easy, just pull the studs, and drill with a depth stopping bit and hammer them in. Takes 5 minutes and it's worth the time for longevity sake.

Dave Death likes this.
  6. Dave Death

That's what I figured. Plus the stud-lock feature is nice. They use the same idea on the 510FB TOM replacement bridge but you don't need to drill, given the larger diameter of TOM units

7. DaZoner

DaZoner SS.org Regular

If you don't like the angle of the bar, just bend it to what you want. No big deal. That trem looks awesome btw.

8. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

Imgur doesn't like this forum.

9. xzyryabx

xzyryabx SS.org Regular

Might sound stupid for some, but I've replaced the OFR (brand new) in a few guitars with the gotoh....gotoh is a bit larger I think as it always fits the route but a tiny bit more snug. I keep all the other floyd hardware

10. elkoki

elkoki SS.org Regular

The angle is different for sure, but more than anything it felt high then I looked at the manual (duh) and realized it was adjustable.. The bar actually pops in but you screws it in until it's low enough to your liking.

11. elkoki

elkoki SS.org Regular

I'm not comfortable doing something like that myself, i'd take it to a tech but they'd probably charge me like $300. I recently messaged a tech nearby for a quote on a nut swap and he said $160, no thanks. For now i'm happy with the way it is since I use it blocked like 90% of the time without any diving, the problem with the old trem were the old and incorrect saddles that made the action feel weird the Gotoh fixed that.

12. Dave Death

Tommy Vetterli (Coroner, ex-Kreator) obviously prefers the Gotoh. His signature guitar is the only one in the Solar range to have one.

https://www.solar-guitars.com/product/a1-6coroner-carbon-black-matte/

elkoki likes this.
  13. ChAoZ

ChAoZ Build Addict

Why the hate for Zinc sadles, you do realise that the Gotoh has Zinc saddles???

14. elkoki

elkoki SS.org Regular

Does it?

Screenshot_20210502-003052_Chrome.jpg