Replacements for BKP Rebel Yell?

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by Quitty, Mar 25, 2015.

1. Quitty

Quitty Hates 'mojo'

I've had one for a while now, in three different guitars -
    i love it and if you put me in front of the BKP catalog i'd probably pick it up again based on the description, but recently i've started wondering if there's something better for me out there.

I love the brightness. In general, i've always tried to have brighter, clearer guitars - i play a lot of jazz and techy-prog and never used a boost as i need a lot of clean tones and can't tapdance very well.
    That said, i've never played a darker-sounding guitar for any extended period of time.
    My main is an alder DC727 with a maple neck.

I love the vintage premise. Can't say it sounds very vintage to me, though - an average LP with anything but burstbuckers takes the cake as far as clean sounds go. Much more 'prrraang' :cool:

My only real complaint is that it doesn't pair nicely with the stock Carvin neck pup or my current PAF7. They are both significantly darker and more scooped.
    I kind of like the scooped quality in a bridge pup. I love what a strat does to a modern, distorted guitar amp. It does make things 'feel' flabby, though, so i don't know if i can work with it.

Thought about trying a JB again, but IIRC the output was way too much and it was absolutely horrid in basswood/bolt-on.
    Maybe a SD Full-Shred? Sentient? Pegasus?
    The KM-7 i tried sounded cheap and dead. Don't know if it's the pup's fault, though.
    Maybe there's something awesome i haven't tried yet.

Any ideas?
    No Dimarzios, please. I'm not a fan.

2. Hachetjoel

Hachetjoel Ibanez whore Contributor

Maybe try the guitarmory pups? my friend has them in his guitars and they sound a lot like bkps to my ears but they have some unique sets. I really like them and dale is amazingly helpful.
    http://theguitarmoryltd.com/
    you can also message him on facebook he always takes time to respond on his facebook.
    https://www.facebook.com/theguitarmoryltd