Replacement suggestions for DiMarzio Titan

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by b0nkersx, Jul 9, 2019.

1. b0nkersx

b0nkersx SS.org Regular

Hey all -

I have a set of DiMarzio Titans in my Schecter SLS Hybrid 6 string (Mahogany body, maple neck-thru) and I don't really like them. They are too honky and compressed sounding for my taste. Looking for replacement suggestions.

Thinking about the Black Winter and the D Activator primarily.. looking for something tight and aggressive that I can play death metal with. Leaning towards the Black Winter because I have a Duncan Distortion in a 7 string that I like a lot but I'm open to any suggestion.

2. MrWulf

MrWulf SS.org Regular

Black Winter definitely. Very balanced, tight without being Djent-tight, and extremely aggressive/saturated.

efiltsohg likes this.
  3. Zoobiedood

Zoobiedood SS.org Regular

I love the Black Winters, but they have mids- if that is what you don't like about your guitar, you won't like the BWs. Try the Jazz/Custom 5 set.

efiltsohg likes this.
  4. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

I can't speak for the Black Winter from experience, but I will say that it's probably a good option for you. The D-Activator is a step in the right direction from the Titan, though it's still fairly compressed overall. It's pretty neutral in the EQ, maybe on the brighter side without much mid hump.

5. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

DActivator is - IMO - extremely bright and compressed, with tight/minimal low end. Sounds a lot like an EMG. I'd say probably not what you're after.

For Duncan, I'd go the Distortion over the Black Winter, since that would be one step further away from a djent sound than you are now. I'll second the Custom, as well - I was really surprised by that pickup, very tight but full low end, and it actually worked surprisingly well for leads too, with a lot of upper mid harmonic haze on sustained single notes. Great pickup.

6. efiltsohg

efiltsohg SS.org Regular

All the ones mentioned are good, also Alt 8

7. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire thy fart is murder

stay away from the d-activators. The titans are basically just slightly tweaked d-activators.

I'd personally say custom 5 bridge/59 neck. Depending on your rig it can be a stupid tight thrash/death metal monster. The low end is big but still pretty responsive, mids have a slight scoop (which would benefit you) and it's a stupidly versatile setup with the 59 neck. The 59 has nice mellow cleans/crunch tones with a liquidy feel that makes it excellent for shreddy stuff.

youngthrasher9 likes this.
  8. Quiet Coil

Quiet Coil Only obsesses over guitars when not playing them.

Glad to hear this. I’ve been agonizing on this exact pairing for a Warmoth build I’ve started - completely different from what the OP has going so I won’t go into detail. Good stuff

b0nkersx likes this.
  9. Metropolis

Metropolis SS.org Regular

I would add Seymour Duncan Pegasus to this. Really pleasant scooped eq, but aggressive enough to play extreme metal. I a-b'd it with my Duncan Solar and they were somewhat similar, which is based on SD Custom 5 but tweaked to be more modern.

10. b0nkersx

b0nkersx SS.org Regular

Good to know about the D Activators.

I should add that I'm not necessarily looking for a scooped mid pickup, but the mid frequencies accentuated by the Titan just don't work well in this guitar for me. With that said the custom 5 does sound really intriguing, and I really like the Alternative 8 in just about every demo I've heard it in..

11. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire thy fart is murder

The custom 5 isn't a dramatically scooped pickup, it's just a bit tbh. It still has enough upper mids to help give percussive palm mutes/chugs
    Alt 8 is supposedly clankier and has more mids but I haven't tried it myself, so I can't confirm.

12. Lemonbaby

Lemonbaby SS.org Regular

+1 for Pegasus :fever:

Zoobiedood likes this.
  13. Zoobiedood

Zoobiedood SS.org Regular

The Alt 8 also has a lot of mids, which might contribute to the honk. The Custom 5 is the most scooped Duncan pickup.

14. youngthrasher9

youngthrasher9 SS.org Regular

OP, have you tried adjusting the pickup height?

I had them in a guitar and I definitely wouldn’t have described them as honky, or compressed really. My concern is that they are in my experience extremely height sensitive.

If you try adjusting them and you don’t get good results, I too would recommend something on the scooped side. The Titans are pretty balanced in my experience so if your guitar just doesn’t play well with them, I’d say Duncan Custom 5, as well. The Alt. 8 like others have mentioned is great as well but in my experience it is pretty compressed.

15. dmlinger

dmlinger PepperFox

Lots of love for the Custom 5 for me as well.

Zoobiedood likes this.
  16. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

I had a custom 5 and replaced it with a Black Winter. I felt the BW had mirange, but it was a growly midrange, not a honky djent midrange. Was also tighter and just... roar.

b0nkersx and dmlinger like this.