Replacement pickups for Ibanez RG5328 8 string

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by VeibaeSimp, May 8, 2021.

1. VeibaeSimp

VeibaeSimp SS.org Regular

Hey guys,

Long time lurker-first time poster here, I recently bought an Ibanez Prestige RG5328 and so far just the general feel of playing it has been wonderful in terms of the comfort factor and such but the DiMarzio Fusion Edges just aren't jiving with me in all honesty. So in saying that, what would you guys recommend as a few options to check out in terms of replacements?

Personally, I was eyeing out the Seymour Duncan Sentient/Nazgul combo or the DiMarzio Ionisers but I don't really hear much about them as of 2020/2021 so if anyone can give a yay or nay to those options that'd be great and as a third option I was thinking a pair of BKP Ragnaroks but I definitely don't want a "super hot" sound. Although I have those options as the main ones I'm eyeing out, by all means, any suggestions are welcome as my options aren't set in stone by any means. I look forward to hearing back from y'all.

Kind regards, VeibaeSimp

SubsonicDoom99 likes this.
  2. BigViolin

BigViolin JEFF LOOMIS SOLOIST!

I haven't tried a lot of 8 string pickups but I do enjoy the Ionizer set along with the SD Pegasus/Sentient set and the Lundgren M series.

VeibaeSimp and SubsonicDoom99 like this.
  3. SubsonicDoom99

SubsonicDoom99 SS.org Regular

If you're looking for a set that isn't going to have that "super hot" sound but still plenty suffient for a heavy tone I'd say that the Pegasus/Sentinel set would be a very good choice. I've got those in an Agile 8 string and it brought that thing to life, especially compared to the stock pickups that were in there. I really like the Pegasus for 8 string guitars because I find that I don't really like very hot overly aggressive-sounding pickups in there, I find it too uneven and difficult to control. Pegasus is a more evenly balanced tone to my ears, and the Sentinel is just an all-around great neck pickup from my experience. Ragnarok is a really good pickup, but for my taste it's just a bit too hot for my playing. The Lundgren that was mentioned earlier is a good choice too, but that's going to run a bit more $$ than the Pegasus/Sentinel I think (if that matters)? I don't have much input on the Ionizer set unfortunately. So good luck with your choice, not sure I helped much but yeah from my experience the Pegasus/Sentinel worked out great for me.

VeibaeSimp likes this.