Refinishing my 1527

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by WhitechapelCS, Sep 3, 2013.

1. WhitechapelCS

WhitechapelCS Alpha Incipient

So a few months ago I got a great deal from a kid who didn't know what he had, and claimed he had no use for a 7 anyway. I believe the year is an '03, but it is a 1527 prestige in Cosmic Blue. Structurally, the guitar is in fantastic condition. No neck damage/warping, and the truss rod is great too. However the paint was dinged up around the edges, no dents or gouges, but the unsightly paint chips are there. The hardware all had the rust and oxidation (I think thats what its called, yeah?) that comes with being neglected and sweated on.

So first thing I did is send all of the hardware and trem to get restored. It should be back within a day or two. Next thing I have to do is remove all of the electronics and refinish the body.

HOWEVER :)wallbash:), doing my research I have seen plenty of people say that if the paint isn't restored to the original factory color, the value depreciates. As much as I've drooled over one of these for years, as of right now I'd rather flip the guitar and sell it and put it towards gear I need and buy another down the line when I can.

So my questions are;
    1). Should I try and find the cosmic blue paint #, and refinish?
    2). If I can't find it, should I repaint in a different color? (Flat white, maybe? :agreed:)
    3). Should I leave the paint the way it is, with dings and all, and still get a good price for it? The hardware will be essentially brand new, I'll have the neck and fretboard serviced, the trem and trussrod etc set up from a shop.

Notes for consideration; I have a great background in sanding and refinishing floors and antique furniture, and I also paint quite a bit. So I'm not worried about the actual job. If I feel I'm in over my head, I don't mind sending it to an acclaimed shop such as Sims.
    I've also tried to find the Cosmic Blue paint code # to no avail.

2. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

Flat white with black binding and zebra pickups

Or a Galaxy white like the 1527M (the M stands for MMMM :yum:)

3. WhitechapelCS

WhitechapelCS Alpha Incipient

Awwww yiss
    Do you think people would actually want to buy something like that? Would keeping it original be a better option? IF I was keeping it, which I really want to, I would definitely go flat white.