Refinishing Jackson DK2

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by Meatballx, Mar 24, 2016.

1. Meatballx

Meatballx Member

I first got this guitar about 7 years ago from a local shop who offered it to me at a discount for having a couple dings in the paint job. I didnt really show this guy much love over the years and I finally decided to refinish it.

The plan was, once the paint was off, to see if it was a nice piece of wood worth giving a natural finish or if I should do something else. I got the top layer of paint and primer off and found a beautiful single piece of alder with great figuring (pics soon), but one small problem.

It looks like there is a seriously thick (thumb nail size) sealer I assume before you get to the bare wood. I used a heat gun to get the poly finish off, but it seems to have very limited success busting through this stuff.

TL DR
    Does anyone have any suggestions for getting super thick sealers (I think) off to expose the bare wood?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Berserker

Berserker SS.org Regular

80 grit sandpaper and a lot of elbow grease. Good luck!

3. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

Sheesh, that is thick.

Sandpaper is pretty much it, I think. I'm in the process of sanding down an old schecter I've had lying around for ages and it has a pretty thick coat of sealer, though I don't think its that thick. I've been going at it when I've got spare time and its not too cold outside, using 60 grit sandpaper.

If you have an orbital sander, that should at least cut down on the time. Otherwise, sanding block.

4. J_Mac

J_Mac SS.org Regular

I did the same thing here with a heat gun. If you get the scraping action right the sealer comes off as dust. You've made a start in your 2nd pic, heat and chip at about 30 degrees to the body. Wear a dust mask!