Refinishing a body in Comic pages or Magazine pages

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by Louis Cypher, Jul 11, 2013.

1. Louis Cypher

Louis Cypher SS.org Regular

So I am nosing around on the web bored at work and was looking at Comic Book stuff and thought to search for comic book artwork guitars.... and Google found me this SS.org thread from 2009

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/se...oject-ideas-uv7pwh-nsfw-56k-warning-also.html

To save opening the old thread here's the two pics that I thought h0ly cr8p that looks so cool! (Even though it seems by other threads that Jem7RB ended up giving the pwh in question a Rootbeer finish in the end)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Found lots more images then on the web too, and got me thinking a) how cool it would be coz I love me my comics and b) how much cheaper that would be than having guitar airbrushed which I have been thinking about since the work on my Universal Monsters RG7620 is looking so good:

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/lu...rg7620-custom-artwork-universal-monsters.html

So I am after some tips here as to how to go about it? Has anyone done this successfully? How easy was it? If I wanted to do this what's the best glue to use? Do I need to grain fill the body before?

Let me know and if you got pics then even better

thanks for your help in advance

Mattmc74, Carver, Datura and 2 others like this.
  2. Berserker

Berserker SS.org Regular

3. Louis Cypher

4. Konfyouzd

Konfyouzd Return of the Dread-I

Oh that is COOL

5. Daf57

Daf57 5 7s in 4ths

That one is cool, with the chrome trim!

For a simpler project do some research on Decoupage - use white Elmer's glue, it is water soluble and will be easy to remove should you ever need to. Then seal the deal with the clear of your choice. :yesway:

6. Louis Cypher

That Tele is awesome, I love it too!

Thanks mate, more for me to read on wikipedia!! :yesway:
    I think that's my main issue in my head, iis what's the best glue or way to glue the poster/pages without having dried "wet" spots or having massive issues with it not sticking or bubbling

7. Daf57

Daf57 5 7s in 4ths

I've never done a guitar, but I have done this with furniture. I found this on the Elmer's glue site and it's pretty much how I did it.

Now the beauty of using a water base glue for placement is that is you EFF it up simply wet and remove. With that in mind you can now approach this in a fearless fashion! :)

When you get everything where you want it and as smooth as you can - let it dry for a day or 2 then hit it with the clear of your choice. Now ... that part, the clear coat, will not be so temporary and fixable so do very light coats and build it up.

Would be cool if you had a guitar to practice on before you tried it on #1.

8. Louis Cypher

The chances of me fooking it up first few times are pretty high! LOL!
    Yeah will def be trying it out on some other suitable wood before actually going for it on the actual guitar.

Just found this on youtube which actually turns out pretty cool for a lad in his bedroom using Decoupage

Thanks for the advice mate, more I am reading up on Decoupage the more I am thinking this is possible for me to do myself with no hassle and more importantly get a good result too.

9. Daf57

Daf57 5 7s in 4ths

oh yeah - that is a good video! You know you got me kind of wanting to try this now. :lol:

Good luck, man! Please post what you come up with, I know it will be awesome!!

10. Carver

Carver Dr. Mantis Toboggan

man i have a two closets with nothing but old comics in them... this may just have to happen.

pretty much just like hodge podge or whatever the hippies call it.. right?

too cool.

11. guidothepimmp

guidothepimmp SS.org Regular

Yeh the decoupage glue works great.

This is one i done using material and the decoupage glue. Little burst round the side and Robert is your fathers brother

[​IMG]

12. Mattmc74

Mattmc74 Contributor

13. Daf57

Daf57 5 7s in 4ths

That looks sharp, guidothepimmp! What did you use for the clear/sealer coat?

14. r3tr0sp3ct1v3

r3tr0sp3ct1v3 SS.org Regular

I think that would be the most amazing thing on the blank strat body I have in a bag in my bottom drawer.

15. guidothepimmp

guidothepimmp SS.org Regular

Cheers bud.. the glue dries clear so i put a thick layer down and sanded flat. Clear was just straight up poly