Refinish - Sand all the way to wood?

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by Blue1970Cutlass, Jul 9, 2013.

1. Blue1970Cutlass

Blue1970Cutlass emberwolfmusic.com

Just doing a quick refinish for myself, not professional or anything (but still want it to look okay) Do you guys recommend going all the way to bare wood, or if it's sanded like the picture -is that far enough into the old finish for new paint to stick?
    [​IMG]

2. Mordacain

Mordacain Formerly 1-watt brigadier

If wanting to repaint, it's best not to go all the way through the original paint. With it at the stage it is at currently, I'd recommend sanding to bare wood so your primer coat will be even across the board.

3. Blue1970Cutlass

Blue1970Cutlass emberwolfmusic.com

Just to clarify, the spots that look bare are not yet to the wood, its got some sort of sealer clear coat under the color, you still think I should continue all the way through?

4. WarMachine

WarMachine SS.org Regular

Yeah dude, strip it down. Like Mordacain said, if you dont it will be an even spread. Even if it feels even when you run your hand over it there will still be waves in it that jump out when you put our paint/clear on. Not to mention that it will take away those nasty circular scratches that you see on the bottom part of the wing. After you sand it i would go back over the guitar with something super fine, even a 1200 grit after you get all the scratches smoothed out to really smooth it out and set it up for the paint to bond.

5. ormsby guitars

ormsby guitars SS.org Regular

AS A PRO, I say dont go through the sealer coat.

If you do, it is a lot more work for you.

When I refinish, I strip it back to raw timber. But I have a killer setup, and do this all the time. The sealer you have on there already is good. Use it to your advantage.

6. Mattmc74

Mattmc74 Contributor

:agreed: