Rectifier ywang?

Gabial

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I don't knpw if amyone can relate, but when using a recifier amp, I always notice a highgain twang that I just can't dismiss. Is there a way to get the heavey without the hissing noixe. I have a noise gate but I want a setting ith mini9mal effect on the dynamics. I only use passive pick=ups because of that reason.

DudeManBrother

Hey...how did everybody get in my room?
Reaction score
You can put an eq in the loop to dial out any unwanted frequencies. Maybe an Empress ParaEQ is best so you can pinpoint the exact frequency that’s bothering you.

Most of the undesirable Recto frequencies go away when it’s turned up considerably. If you have access to a load box you could try that as well.

tedtan

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
If you’re using a Mesa Rectifier, set it to the silicone diode rectifier setting.

What is the amp?

wheresthefbomb

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Most of the undesirable Recto frequencies go away when it’s turned up considerably.

This is, in fact, the solution to most amp noises. When you pay close attention, you start to realize that many many "professional" recordings have all kinds of hiss and other "undesirable" amp sounds. When the amp is cranked, the tone is right, and the playing is tight, it's really easy to overlook. Don't get too hung up on noises.

GreatGreen

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I don't know about the "ywang" onomatopoeia, but Rectos do have an upper-presency fizz about them due to the amp's lack of negative feedback which would dampen some of those highs. You're right, they can be really hard to get rid of.

Either turn the amp up enough to negate the fizz (which is going to be very loud) or put an EQ with good control over the treble frequencies in the loop and dial that fizz out.

ShredmasterD

Calls it like it is.
Reaction score
if you're talking mesa recto, a little less preamp gain, use a pedal to boost. the eq controls are tied to the gain so they are relative to where the gain is set. the presence control is crucial to the twang. its a funny amp to dial in but when its good, its great.

Last edited:

ShredmasterD

Calls it like it is.
Reaction score
Some speakers like Legend V12 help reduce recto fizz. That is one of the reasons I use them.
the best my old recto sounded was through a fryette cab loaded with their p50e speakers, which is an eminence too. it cut the super highs that the celestion v30's seemed to extenuate. i have new recto, and its boomy more than fizzy.