Recording with pedals and stuff?

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by Kokos, Apr 15, 2020.

1. Kokos

Kokos The seeker of meaty/djenty sound..

Hi there!

I have a live gear I'm quite proud of, excellent pedals, the amp and a cab. I'd like to start recording some tones, but I'm not quite optimistic regarding usage of digital plug-ins (basically I'm not fan of this idea), I wonder whether I could take other way to make use of gear I already own.

Among typical gate, compressor, eq, reverb, delay pedals I have a Green Russian, micro POG, SanSamp GT2, Maxon OD808, Lester G.. I know there are some digitalized substitutes, but why not use original equipment I already own? I have 6505 amp + 212 Celestion Vintage 30s as well..

So I wonder what options I have?

1. Hook all pedals and guitar up in front of audio interface input? Would it work well?
    2. Buy a mic and get cab sound from there? I'm afraid my room is poor from acoustics perspective and it's definitely not soundproof, so outside noises can come in a way..
    3. I heard something about amp/cab modellers, torpedoes/kempers -- I wonder whether I could make use of it, but they seems freaking expensive - and I already spent a lot on live gear.
    4. any other option?

I don't have even an audio interface at the moment so I'm at the beginning of designing this recording setup, but I would like to choose something affordable as I don't think I will record on regular basis..

I'd love to hear out your suggestions. Thank you so much!

Kind regards,
    Kokos

2. Sylim

Sylim SS.org Regular

what exactly is the goal? just record some quick ideas and rough demos? or record something that sounds more final for releases?

3. Kokos

Hi Sylim!

For idea recording I just have my portable recorder (Tascam DR-05 V2) and it seems fine. I'm not interested in producing perfect professional studio records, but I'd like to have some tools available to prepare some enjoyable in hearing songs, so it wouldn't sound painfully just because my recording setup, however I'm not aiming in any professional area.

I know it's probably easier and better just to plug guitar to audio interface and use plug-ins, but I just wonder whether there is other way, preferably using gear I already have and I'm proud of regarding the sound I can make with it.

Thanks!

4. Merrekof

Merrekof SS.org Regular

An isolated cab perhaps? That is just a big box with a speaker and mic.

And you'll need an interface too. There are many of those ranging from, idk, 50-5000$.
    "you get what you pay for" applies here.

Personally I bought a Line6 Pod HD pro X years ago, all my amps and fx are in there. Sure, pedals often sound better but I don't want to go back. The convenience makes up for sound quality loss imo.

Edit: come to think of it. The pod I have has an fx loop so it is design to take pedals anyway.
    These days there are many more options, though

5. Kokos

Thanks @Merrekof!

Well, I had a Line 6 Floor POD and I don't really liked the idea of having all in one box, I was not really happy with quality, but it gives an idea what can be done with guitar tone and what pedals I'd like to have.

What do you think about speaker simulator pedal or a DAW plug-in of same type? I think it might be a way out to have a nice, affordable recording via audio interface and to keep using all my beloved pedals.

6. Sylim

Sylim SS.org Regular

if it´s just to record some ideas, i think the simplest option is to get an interface with just a single input and a SM57 and mic up the cab. even if the mic picks up on the bad room acoustics, at least it will get you going quick.
    another option would be to record the fx loop output of the amp [NOT the speaker output] directly into the interface, so no need for a mic here. and then use cab impulse responses on that raw amp tone. it would make for a mucher better tone in the end, but takes a little bit getting into with finding an impulse loader and good impulses you like.

7. Merrekof

Merrekof SS.org Regular

Line6 products became better. I once owned a Spider II amp and a friend had a red bean Pod. That red bean was way better than the Spider but the latest generation pods are even better. Helix products again are one step up. I think the next gen modeling amps and tube amps will become indistinguishable. It is just a matter of time.

I have no experience with DAWs in that regard so I cannot help you with that. :)

8. Kokos

THANKS! And this is very interesting option! I've just saw below video and I'm trying to learn more about this method. However Ola used a mic anyway to make an impulse, I wonder why he has not used fx loop send as you mentioned.

9. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

If you don't want to use software modeling or emulation, this IS the traditional way to record guitar. As long as recording volume isn't an issue - and with practice you can get a pretty good tone at "conversation" volumes - then bleed from your surroundings is minimal, your cab is louder, from an inch away, than anything going on in the background. And it's tough to beat a SM57 on a guitar cab - there's a lot of other things you can try and you might decide eventually you prefer something else, but it's not a mic you'll ever outgrow and it's a "core" guitar cab mic (today, I use a SM57 as my primary mic with a MD421 supporting it). And, it's cheap - $99 will buy you one.

10. Carl Kolchak

Carl Kolchak SS.org Regular

@Kokos if you just want to be able to record riffs/songs then get a simple USB interface like a Focusrite Scarlett Solo. You can then pair that with a Two Notes Torpedo Cab pedal or use their Wall of Sound software. You might also want to consider getting a good DI box as well, as that will also improve the quality of your recorded tracks.

Your signal chain would then look something like this...

Guitar> Pedals> DI box> USB interface> PC/DAW

11. nickgray

nickgray SS.org Regular

That's the main thing you need. After that, you have tons of options to choose from. Get a 57, a mic stand, and record straight from the cab, outside noise shouldn't be an issue, it's a directional mic and you're putting it super close to the speaker. It's not a silent setup though. Alternatively, hook up the pre out from your 6505 to the sound card's line input, and use impulse responses. Or you can just use an amp sim instead. You can also get a DI box and split the signal - one to the amp, one to the audio interface. This way, you can track via the amp + cab, but record the DI signal, which you can then process with an amp sim (or even run through the 6505's preamp afterwards, like described before). There's also an option of getting a reactive loadbox (they're expensive though), they're made to convert the speaker out of the amp to line level signal, which you then can process with the IR, it's pretty much the ultimate silent setup if you want to use real amps, as you'll be getting pretty much the same signal as the speaker is supposed to, but at line level.

Imo, just start with free amp sims and IRs. For recording purposes you can achieve really good results, the whole "realism" thing is more of an issue when you're just playing/practicing, and you already have a real amp and a cab for that. In a mix though, even those old LePou plugins can be tweaked to sound great.