Mattnh79

kayke
Reaction score
i know ive posted a thread similar to this before but no1's replying. how would a rig like this sound for recording because i soon want to start recording covers and someday my own stuff but i currently suck in the writing process

anyway:

-Furman P-1800 AR
-Korg DTR-2000
-Marshall JMP-1 w/ Voodoo Amps Deluxe Modifications and JJ EC883S tubes in preamps
-T.C. Electronic G Major 2
-ISP Decimator Pro Rack G
-ESP Explorer w/ EMG 81 (B) and 85 (N), Sperzel locking tuners
-ESP Explorer 7 w/ EMG 707’s, Sperzel locking tuners

Misc:
-12-56 (6) 12-68 (7) strings
-2U rack space drawer for holding strings, cables, etc.

P.S. i know ut people have said to me about the tuner not being worth it but i'd use the x-tra features, and i like really thick strings

keshav

Connecting the Dots
Reaction score
Wow.. a good recording PC and interface, and you should be good to go!

Zami77

Recording Bro
Reaction score
well if you like your own tone then go buy an interface and a mike to record your cab.

Mattnh79

kayke
Reaction score
well if you like your own tone then go buy an interface and a mike to record your cab.

What like Elevenrack? I just want to record direct from preamp to computer

What would be a good computer to record with, I want it fast but not like a gaming computer, and I want to record direct to computer from the preamp.

keshav

Connecting the Dots
Reaction score
What like Elevenrack? I just want to record direct from preamp to computer

What would be a good computer to record with, I want it fast but not like a gaming computer, and I want to record direct to computer from the preamp.

Get a quad core PC with 4 gigs of ram, any decent graphics card and buy a good audio interface (preferably firewire - I have a MOTU ultralite which is amazing). Use impulses in your signal chain for cab sims instead of miking.

Mattnh79

kayke
Reaction score
Get a quad core PC with 4 gigs of ram, any decent graphics card and buy a good audio interface (preferably firewire - I have a MOTU ultralite which is amazing). Use impulses in your signal chain for cab sims instead of miking.

ok, thanks:hbang: but what specific computer

I forgot, What r some good monitors, I need like 2?

rareform707

Reaction score
the only thing i want to say is, this is going to cost you a LOT of cash...
you said you soon want to start recording soon...so i assume this means you have no/little self producing experience. again only assuming.

if i am correct, i would suggest not going so "all out" on your gear if youre a beginner, no offense by any means. this is just in the interest of $, and getting in the flow of things.
you can get a pod for your preamp, get a cheap interface, and download some free, user friendly recording software. you can find decent monitors for a couple hundred. thats all you really need man, and that not much of a burden on your wallet either. theres recording bundles too that usually come with pretty fair gear, for a pretty fair price.
again this is all based on what im assuming from what you stated, but if youre new to recording youre not going to be good at it right away, it takes time and practice and patience. i would wait till you get some experience before you spend the cash for a home studio :yesway:

Mattnh79

kayke
Reaction score
the only thing i want to say is, this is going to cost you a LOT of cash...
you said you soon want to start recording soon...so i assume this means you have no/little self producing experience. again only assuming.

if i am correct, i would suggest not going so "all out" on your gear if youre a beginner, no offense by any means. this is just in the interest of $, and getting in the flow of things.
you can get a pod for your preamp, get a cheap interface, and download some free, user friendly recording software. you can find decent monitors for a couple hundred. thats all you really need man, and that not much of a burden on your wallet either. theres recording bundles too that usually come with pretty fair gear, for a pretty fair price.
again this is all based on what im assuming from what you stated, but if youre new to recording youre not going to be good at it right away, it takes time and practice and patience. i would wait till you get some experience before you spend the cash for a home studio :yesway:

I understand what u mean and I am somewhat of a beginner and I'm just trying to gather suggestions for when the time comes to update my rig. I've tried pods, and I hate the digital sound, it sounds thin and w/ no presence once however. I prefer "real" amps so that means no modeling or any other Line 6 products because everyone I've heard sounds like Digital shit no matter how you dial it in, Don't let the beginner part make you think I don't know good tone (respectively). I've done lots of research and tested many amps and now know from experience what good tone is. No offense but would it cost that much to get a preamp and a computer? maybe a few grand but that's not like over the top.

Scar Symmetry

Ex Whiny Bitch
Reaction score
How it would sound is all down to you, the gear is just a medium for you to create your desired sound.

Mattnh79

kayke
Reaction score
How it would sound is all down to you, the gear is just a medium for you to create your desired sound.

I understand that you have to dial in amps and that fingers and playing style/technique will differ the tone but gear is still a HUGE part of tone.

Scar Symmetry

Ex Whiny Bitch
Reaction score
Sure it is dude, I agree completely. It's down to you the owner though to get those tones out of said gear.

Tone is also in the fingers blah blah blah cliched speech here :lol:

Zami77

Recording Bro
Reaction score
funny thing is you dont really need an extremely powerful computer. i have a 5 year old comp with dual cores and 3 gigs of ram. I can run an ass load of stuff including powerful programs liek superior drummer 2.0,kontakt 4, and VIenna symphonic library. If the computer you have was made within the last few years you may not need to upgrade.

That aside, a powerful computer with quadcore and 6 gigs of ram will be incredibly fast and smooth. Im thinking of upgrading my tower. a 600$ tower today is probably thrice as fast as mine :nuts:

Opeth666

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
i have a dell 4600 that has a 6600 graphics card, sound blaster audigy SC 2.8 Ghz processor and 2.0 Gigs of ram and is plenty enough for my recording purposes so an expensive computer isn't necessary (I can never spell that word right). my computer is around 5-7 years old.

HANIAK

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
That's an interesting list of gear to play, but to record you need a lot of different gear.

Start with a good PC or laptop (lots of CPU and RAM), a good soundcard (preferentially with firewire), a good set of audio monitors (KRKs or Yamahas for instance), a drum emulator (or a drumset if you'd like it) like Superior Drummer, a bass, a DAW (Cubase, ProTools,...) ...

The list goes on...
Like rareform707 said, it will cost you lots of money and time.
Recording and producing stuff is as much of an art as playing an instrument!

On the tone subject, expensive gear wont give you a good tone per se. "Good tone" is subjective, like everything is in art, and you must dial the correct EQ on the amp to get it.

On topic, give another chance to the POD. It makes wonders in home-recording! Check Bulb's recordings, for instance!

rareform707

Reaction score
I understand what u mean and I am somewhat of a beginner and I'm just trying to gather suggestions for when the time comes to update my rig. I've tried pods, and I hate the digital sound, it sounds thin and w/ no presence once however. I prefer "real" amps so that means no modeling or any other Line 6 products because everyone I've heard sounds like Digital shit no matter how you dial it in, Don't let the beginner part make you think I don't know good tone (respectively). I've done lots of research and tested many amps and now know from experience what good tone is. No offense but would it cost that much to get a preamp and a computer? maybe a few grand but that's not like over the top.
im not trying to take a shot at your knowledge by any means man, you've obviously done your research if you have your rig so thoroughly planned out...
all i was trying to say is thats a lot of cash to spend on things you dont necessarily need. like you said, you planned on spending a few thousand, the gear i mentioned you could get for a few hundred, definitely no more than 1k.
on the pod note...i would listen around a little more. pods arent the best preamp on the market by any means, but a lot of talented bands have used it to record their whole album. the faceless, veil of maya, almost any band produced by michael keene really. bulb also used a pod before his axefx. not saying the tone matches up to a mic'd amp or the tone theyre trying to reflect, but thats all very well produced music. maybe you know all this already, and if the said musicians tone is not what you like, then maybe the pod just isnt for you. but like another guy said, your gear is just a medium, its how you use it. i personally think its very possible to get good quality tone out of a pod. :yesway:
all in all, im really just trying to save you money man. not saying you cant go buy all that stuff cause youre new to recording, if you have the money all power to you! i only suggest spending less starting off because, even if you go buy very nice expensive gear, you may not produce high quality recordings until youve had quite some experience.
as long as youre aware of that, its your cash, spend it on whatever you wish man! good luck to ya :metal:

Mattnh79

kayke
Reaction score
im not trying to take a shot at your knowledge by any means man, you've obviously done your research if you have your rig so thoroughly planned out...
all i was trying to say is thats a lot of cash to spend on things you dont necessarily need. like you said, you planned on spending a few thousand, the gear i mentioned you could get for a few hundred, definitely no more than 1k.
on the pod note...i would listen around a little more. pods arent the best preamp on the market by any means, but a lot of talented bands have used it to record their whole album. the faceless, veil of maya, almost any band produced by michael keene really. bulb also used a pod before his axefx. not saying the tone matches up to a mic'd amp or the tone theyre trying to reflect, but thats all very well produced music. maybe you know all this already, and if the said musicians tone is not what you like, then maybe the pod just isnt for you. but like another guy said, your gear is just a medium, its how you use it. i personally think its very possible to get good quality tone out of a pod. :yesway:
all in all, im really just trying to save you money man. not saying you cant go buy all that stuff cause youre new to recording, if you have the money all power to you! i only suggest spending less starting off because, even if you go buy very nice expensive gear, you may not produce high quality recordings until youve had quite some experience.
as long as youre aware of that, its your cash, spend it on whatever you wish man! good luck to ya :metal:

I could give the POD another chance but I just want something that sounds different. It all sounds digital and thin, how could I fix that? It's all modeling and I thought I could get better tone with an actual non-modeling preamp with some FX and a noise gate. I get the POD has it all but it just has that digital and thin characteristic that I just can't get rid of. I just want a preamp that's versatile and I know the POD can do that but It's simply just the kind of thing I can't really deal with, I mean there's no point in getting versatility if it doesn't sound right. I get this could be expensive but after reading the other guys' comments, my computer isn't really old, I just need software, but still for the actual gear and the software, it shouldn't be more than $3000.00, I can live with the fact that I have to save up to buy expensive gear but It's worth it instead of getting something you don't like. You see where I'm going with this, I just got to save up enough for what I want and then I don't have to live with crappy gear. There's no point in taking small steps instead of saving up for what I want, right?

keshav

Connecting the Dots
Reaction score
ok, thanks:hbang: but what specific computer

I forgot, What r some good monitors, I need like 2?

Well assuming that you're recording at home and your room isn't treated, i'd say go for the M-Audio BX5A active pair. Or if you can afford it, the Tapco S5 - they're a division of mackie and their products are great. It's all about learning your monitors' freq response at the end of the day, so just about anything decent will do. I actually still mix on headphones and shitty Creative 2.1 speakers *hides face* :p

S-O

t(-.-t)
Reaction score
Read up on thread here and on the Sneap forums. I'd say any mid level comp will do great for home stuff, especially if you dedicate as just a music computer, rather than surf teh interwebz and pr0n and what not.

Try not to bite off too much, you won't be able to chew, let alone swallow.

Try getting whatever pre amp you want, or use pod farm and interface. Then with whatever program you use (reaper, cubase, etc) use a vst that can load impulses like kefir (read up on impulses!).

To "get rid of" thin tones, use double/triple/quad tracking, depending on what you need/want. Also, get used o using different EQs, graphi cand parametric. Read up other topics like compression, reverb, high/low pass and so on.

Buy a bass, buy ezdrummer or superior 2.0, or whatever program you want, or if you are/have a drummer and kit, learn to mic that up.

Read up on mixing, mastering, and tracking. Read and do, find new info, and see how it can help your tunes.

Compare your mixes and masters to mixes/masters of your favorite bands/engineers.

Zami77

Recording Bro
Reaction score
Rareform707: I'm not a 100% sure but I think the faceless recorded with a line 6 vetta. Same company but a real amp.

Matt: 3000 should be more than enough. If you have all the amps and guitars you want and the tone you want, your a good percentage there. Recording software I recommend reaper, it's 50$ for a personal license. Drum VST would be superior drummer for 300$. FireWire interface firebox round 200$. Shure sm57 microphone 100$. a cheap bass which can be anywhere from 100-300$. If you want you could buy a midi controller (I.e. keyboard) for a few hundred dollars. And finally pair of monitors, I recommend krk rokit 5's for 300$. That adds up to roughly 1600$. This would give you an excellent start for a home studio. More software can be purchased later. I may edit in some links later because I'm on my itouch righ now and can't. Anyway good luck in your purchases.

Mattnh79

kayke
Reaction score
thanks for ur help guys i'll read more info and accumulate more research and save up for the gear.

heres wut I got now:

-Furman P-1800 AR
-Korg DTR-2000
-Fractal Audio Axe-FX Ultra (direct to computer for recording purposes)
-ISP Decimator Pro Rack G
-Computer w/ 4-6 gigs of ram, 6600 graphics card, sound blaster audigy SC 2.8 GHz processor, reaper, DFHS2, FireWire interface firebox soundcard and Elevenrack
-M-Audio BX5A Active monitors
-Ibanez RG7321 w/ EMG 81 (B) 85 (N) and Sperzel locking tuners
-Ibanez 5 string bass w/ Bartolini pickups