Recording guitar DI, signal too quiet?

GalacticDeath

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I've been recording DI guitar with my PodHD500 via spdif.

The signal peaks at around -15 db. Is that too quiet? What levels should I be aiming for?

Winspear

Tom Winspear
Reaction score
It probably wont make much difference, but I'd go a tad louder. I meter RMS more and shoot for around -18 on there and peaks under -6.

shnizzle

johnny
Reaction score
when i record DI´s via spdif with the Pod HD Pro i peak close to -6db and rms is somewhere around -15db. so pretty much what Ethereal says.
is the spdif output level on your pod and the input level on your interface set to 0db?

GalacticDeath

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
when i record DI´s via spdif with the Pod HD Pro i peak close to -6db and rms is somewhere around -15db. so pretty much what Ethereal says.
is the spdif output level on your pod and the input level on your interface set to 0db?

Yep, I just checked it and the spdif is set to 0db. Should I increase the signal?

shnizzle

johnny
Reaction score
can the spdif output level also be changed with the master level knob on the HD500?
on the Pro those are not connected, so the spdif always gives out the same level no
matter how loud the master level is. but i think i read somewhere the Pro is built different
from the 500 and Desktop in that regard. so i´d check and see how yours does it.
if they are independent than yes, try increasing the spdif output level.

GalacticDeath

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
can the spdif output level also be changed with the master level knob on the HD500?
on the Pro those are not connected, so the spdif always gives out the same level no
matter how loud the master level is. but i think i read somewhere the Pro is built different
from the 500 and Desktop in that regard. so i´d check and see how yours does it.
if they are independent than yes, try increasing the spdif output level.

Looks like they're separate on the HD500 as well. I was messing with the master level and it didn't seem to change the spdif output level. I just increased the spdif output to +6db and that's giving me a pretty decent level, peaking at around -7db.
Thanks man I appreciate the help.

Spectivum

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Also your pickup might be too low, get it around 2mms from the strings. Peak between -6/-9.

Spectivum

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I meant to peak -6db on the interface's hardware meter, it will get to around -15 in the DAW.