Recording Difficulties

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by Flames VIII, Sep 15, 2010.

1. Flames VIII

Flames VIII Padawan Learner

Hello recording board.

Right then straight down to business, this is a complicated one so you may want to either grab a drink and put your geek hats on OR swiftly ignore this thread as I am sure you have better things to be doing/I am a recording noob.

Put simply my daw isn't letting me produce audio tracks.

SETUP

[​IMG]

*Excuse the strange desk set-up, I moved into uni about 3 days ago and I got the POD x3 about 2 hours ago.

ACER Aspire 6920 (Laptop)
    3GB Ram
    Intel 4GHZ dual-core
    No Soundcard
    DAW: Cubase 5.0.0

DI/Interface: POD X3 (All drivers and firmware up to date)

First thing I will do in an empty project is to create a track.

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g240/mar-raf/Cubaseaddinstrument.png?t=1284569770

and in the box that follows there is no ok button

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g240/mar-raf/cubasenovstinstrument.png?t=1284569828

So I try to go and configure the POD into the vst instrument, and without even clicking anything I get this

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g240/mar-raf/cubasevstfailedtoopen.png?t=1284570032

then in a last desperate attempt I checked the VST inputs, VST outputs and external instruments directories

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g240/mar-raf/vstinputs.png?t=1284570114

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g240/mar-raf/vstoutputs.png?t=1284570124

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g240/mar-raf/externalinstruments.png?t=1284570116

Other problems that may help find a solution:

When I plug my POD X3 into my laptop, it stops playing sound out from the speakers, even when headphones are plugged into the X3 no sound can be heard.

On top of this I am literally recording straight into cubase, I got no additional software with my X3 (Thank you ebay).

Any help is appreciated weather its a response on this thread, video call via skype or whatever.

Thank you for your time!

- Nooby Mc Noobington/Flames VIII

2. manana

manana SS.org Regular

you are adding an instrument track which requires a vst like superior drummer add a regular mono track and set your levels in the pod and record 2 mono track panned. click on audio track not instrument. also install aiso as your sound driver and use that in cubase and install the pod drivers too. need to make sure that pod is being used as the audio device in cubase.

3. Flames VIII

Thanks for the help Manana.

Can you link me to a working windows 7 asio driver? All the ones I have found are 32bit and wont install.

Ontop of that I have no experience with the pod x3 so I have no idea how to set it to recording 2 panned mono tracks. and how do I set the pod as the audio device? I have tried that and it comes up as no device or whatever.

I have all the X3 drivers installed already.

4. Flames VIII

strike the first bit, I found a working driver

5. avenger

avenger SS.org Regular

I would assume you would record two mono tracks at the same time using the X3 as the input for both tracks and then pan them accordingly.

6. Flames VIII

Ok running through this I would ask how do I set the X3 as my main audio device for cubase.

I have installed the ASIO drivers.

7. manana

manana SS.org Regular

no not at the same time you record 2 mono tracks in 2 takes and then pan left and right. then you go somewhere in the audio options you choose your audio device. should be in the manual. I use reaper its much easier and very powerful.

8. String7th

String7th SS.org Regular

Good advice but to avoid complicating things, forget about it for now.

Go to Line6.com and get the free Line6 Monkey and the recomended line 6 Pod X3 drivers, it will be the most stable because it's designed for your interface. I have the same interface at my home computer, it works well with Cubase.

You got the right tip about opening an audio track, not a vst instrument track.

Once you install Line6 Monkey and all the drivers, go to Control Panel . . . Sounds and Audio Devices . . . and set all default devices to Line 6. Now here's the important part: All guitar playing, audio playback from Cubase, and all windows noises will now come through the POD. Get powered speakers (highly recomend real studio monitors) or headphones if you are mobile.

Lastly: on this screen (http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g240/mar-raf/vstinputs.png?t=1284570114)
    Set your inputs correctly, if you want to record the distorted sound set it for that specified input. But I suggest you record a dry track and use the free POD Farm so you can change your tones later. Again, free from Line6.com

Note about POD Farm, if the previous owner registered the serial number, you will need to contact them and have them delete his account from Line6.com and de-authorize that number

9. Flames VIII

Naa I spent ages trying to get cubase so i am going to use that instead.

THANK YOU MR String7th!

10. Flames VIII

Sorry for the almost criminal double posting but I have been at this for 6 hours so far.

So do I manually type in Line 6 or whatever into the devices because it's not giving me a drop down menu or anything

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g240/mar-raf/spam.png?t=1284583415

Both my default devices in Sound and recording are set as the X3

11. String7th

String7th SS.org Regular

The box on the right is for HDMI specific audio, since you have playback, recording, and sounds set to Line 6 in the left box, you can ignore the HDMI setting options.

12. Flames VIII

13. manana

manana SS.org Regular

do you have aiso installed? Do you have the right drivers? Try restarting cubase. Try reconnecting the usb cable too.

14. Flames VIII

Done all of that. Nothing.

Ahh god I am gonna have to pay some techy to sort this shit out then teach me how...

Seriously normally I am alright with computers but this shit is just confusing.

Bear in mind cubase isn't letting me create tracks to begin with... uugghhhh

I'm gonna go rub my face on some sandpaper brb lol

15. IAMLORDVADER

IAMLORDVADER progressive insanity

Try downloading podfarm from the line 6 site and fiddle with the preferences and also the asio inputs/outputs in the vst connections menu if I'm not mistaken, if that doesnt work try uninstalling cubase and then re-install it after installing podfarm

16. String7th

String7th SS.org Regular

My bad, I forgot a step. In Cubase, click devices, then setup MIDI device (I think, it's an option to set your asio device for the POD) Right now it's set up to your internal sound card and the section to change it is in the "devices" column.

17. chaosxcomplex

chaosxcomplex 01123581321

I'm not sure if I've been reading this right, but I think I (and a few others have pointed it out as well, just don't know if you overlooked it or if it's just not the problem...) know the issue.

1) Open Cubase
    2) File--> New Project
    3) Select "Empty", click "ok"
    4) Select wherever you like it to be saved...Click 'OK"
    5) Project Menu--->add track-->AUDIO (not instrument)
    6) Select "1" "mono" track
    7) Devices Menu--->Device Setup
    8) Change to your driver you installed

This should work.

18. Flames VIII

Thanks for the assistance you guys.

I used the reaper free trial and it all works fine so really it's just down to cubase.

@Chaosxcomplex: Followed it however despite the mono switch over there is still no "ok" button or any kind of confirmation button so it's not letting me make tracks full stop.

I have come to the conclusion that the slightly "Pirated" cubase I am using is cracked incorrectly or something went wrong that is causing the ok buttons to dissappear.

Thanks for all your help guys

19. manana

manana SS.org Regular

use reaper and you will be happy.