Recommendations For Stage Lighting?

rjnix_0329

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I am in a progressive metal band, and we have some great tunes that we are just about to start playing live. We are expecting to play a pretty big variety of venues (everyone in the band has local gig experience, so we know what to expect), which can range from great soundboards and lighting setups to a corner in a bar. We have a decent PA of our own, and run a click + MIDI switching + samples from a laptop.

In order to control our audience experience a little more, I would love to get a couple of lights that we can bring with us, especially to the venues without any stage lighting. Intronaut does a lot of their own stage lighting (with the aid of a lot of fog machines), and it is killer. It would be nice to find a product that we can sync through MIDI so that we can program a lightshow with the music through ProTools.

If you have any recommendations for products you have used or heard about, which might be good for a new band with a moderate budget, please fill me in here!

Thanks! :wavey:

robare99

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Here my light rig:
Full Rig - YouTube

Same setup in a DJ lighting role
DJ Rig - YouTube

Across the top: 4 Chauvet Intimidator Spot Duos
Middle wash lights: 11 Blizzard 3NX
Lower moving heads: 4 Martin Minimac Profiles
Antari HZ300 hazer

These days I'd go with the blizzard Hotbox RGBAW since the 3NX are discontinued. They run $250ish

The spot duos are $600 each

The mini macs are around $350 - $450ish each.

Controlled by DMXIS, with either an FCB1010 controller if my band is playing, or an iPad if I'm providing.

You could get away with that I-Beam DJ style truss and 6 hot boxes for a start. I always use one or 2 blizzard Fab5's on each main speaker aimed at the band.

If nothing else, at least light the band....

This is one Fab5 (or hotbox) per side. It was set to sound. I now set them to a slow fade.
White Beauty - YouTube

eyeswide

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I did a thread earlier on DMIS! I highly recommend it as well. If you have any questions, feel free to ask here or PM me!