Recommendations for Mid Range 6 String?

zjb7777

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I keep thinking about grabbing an Omen Elite, or a SVSS model, because those are pretty much the best bolt on guitars they make with the thicker neck. I generally prefer the bolt on, flat top guitars. I do have a Hellraiser though for the set neck, arch top thing.

For LTD, you might like the M series instead. They usually have wider, thinner necks than the MH or EC series.
I actually had an Omen Elite last year and it was pretty solid! I only sold it because I needed some cash lol. The SVSS Exotic models are hot too lol.

I don't mind any neck heel type but if it's bolt on, I prefer a carved heel like the Ibanez AANJ or what Schecter did with the Omen Elite. I like both flat top and arched top guitars, I don't really have huge preference over one or the other.

I would probably try and look at a used M series because there doesn't seem to be many models out right now in 6 string but I may be blind lol. I have seen the H-1001 in Violet Andromeda and that looks pretty cool, but I'm definitely going to look more into LTD and potentially a used E-II.

marke

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I don't know how easily available LTD M's are there, but quite a few of them have satin necks. M-1000 HT Black Fade and M-1000 Purple Natural Burst at least have them, while being otherwise gloss. I think also the M-1001NT has satin neck, but it is a bolt-on. The white one is satin overall and of course arctic and black metal versions have satin necks as well. Besides that, M has forearm contours, belly cut and good higher fret access whether bolt-on or set-thru. They're pretty comfortable overall, much more than H or MH series, which may or may not bother you with their "sharp" edge against your forearm.

Last edited:

Shask

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I actually had an Omen Elite last year and it was pretty solid! I only sold it because I needed some cash lol. The SVSS Exotic models are hot too lol.

I don't mind any neck heel type but if it's bolt on, I prefer a carved heel like the Ibanez AANJ or what Schecter did with the Omen Elite. I like both flat top and arched top guitars, I don't really have huge preference over one or the other.

I would probably try and look at a used M series because there doesn't seem to be many models out right now in 6 string but I may be blind lol. I have seen the H-1001 in Violet Andromeda and that looks pretty cool, but I'm definitely going to look more into LTD and potentially a used E-II.
Personally I think bolt on guitars sound better than neck through guitars, so I am on the bolt on train for the future, lol.

I hate how archtops dig into your forearm. I prefer some sort of bevel, but I do have some archtops, so I deal with it sometimes.

zjb7777

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I don't know how easily available LTD M's are there, but quite a few of them have satin necks. M-1000 HT Black Fade and M-1000 Purple Natural Burst at least have them, while being otherwise gloss. I think also the M-1001NT has satin neck, but it is a bolt-on. The white one is satin overall and of course arctic and black metal versions have satin necks as well. Besides that, M has forearm contours, belly cut and good higher fret access whether bolt-on or set-thru. They're pretty comfortable overall, much more than H or MH series, which may or may not bother you with their "sharp" edge against your forearm.

Thanks for the info, much appreciated! Definitely looking into the M series. There's definitely some nice looking stuff in the M series. I particularly like the E-II M-II with the turquoise burst finish and maple fretboard, if I would find one used, I'd have a hard time not snatching that up.

I know what you're talking about with the edge arched tops have. When I play for super long sessions, it bothers me a bit, but it's not terrible.

Personally I think bolt on guitars sound better than neck through guitars, so I am on the bolt on train for the future, lol.

I hate how archtops dig into your forearm. I prefer some sort of bevel, but I do have some archtops, so I deal with it sometimes.
Arched tops don't bother me a whole lot, but I notice the weight on my 7 string way before I notice the edge most days.

I think bolt ons are better from a maintenance and travel perspective. You can shim the neck if the angle needs adjustment, you can unbolt the neck to travel in a pinch, you can replace it if it breaks at the headstock or anything. I don't notice much of a difference in sound between neck joints when plugged in, scale length and pickup placement are very noticable to me though.

If anyone can chime in, if I liked the nitro wizard neck on the Ibanez I returned, how much different will a Prestige neck feel?

Neon_Knight_

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, much appreciated! Definitely looking into the M series. There's definitely some nice looking stuff in the M series. I particularly like the E-II M-II with the turquoise burst finish and maple fretboard, if I would find one used, I'd have a hard time not snatching that up.

I know what you're talking about with the edge arched tops have. When I play for super long sessions, it bothers me a bit, but it's not terrible.

Arched tops don't bother me a whole lot, but I notice the weight on my 7 string way before I notice the edge most days.

I think bolt ons are better from a maintenance and travel perspective. You can shim the neck if the angle needs adjustment, you can unbolt the neck to travel in a pinch, you can replace it if it breaks at the headstock or anything. I don't notice much of a difference in sound between neck joints when plugged in, scale length and pickup placement are very noticable to me though.

If anyone can chime in, if I liked the nitro wizard neck on the Ibanez I returned, how much different will a Prestige neck feel?
Nitro Wizard is the Wizard III profile (19-21mm thick), while a prestige model will have either a Wizard profile (18-20mm) or a Super Wizard profile (17-19mm).

I believe all current Prestige RGs have Super Wizard.

zjb7777

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Nitro Wizard is the Wizard III profile (19-21mm thick), while a prestige model will have either a Wizard profile (18-20mm) or a Super Wizard profile (17-19mm).

I believe all current Prestige RGs have Super Wizard.
Thanks! That does help. I believe the S1070 that I really liked the feel of had the same dimensions as the Wizard profile at 18-20. You'd think a 1mm difference wouldn't make a huge difference but it does make me nervous to try. I suppose it's not a big deal if I buy from a dealer with a good return policy, but buying used would be what worries me lol.

Shask

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

Bolt ons have a snappier, tighter attack. Neckthroughs tend to have more of a flat sustain. The notes tend to blur into each other more, making them less tight and aggressive when fast picking. They do sustain longer though for soloing.

Shask

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
You could also look at the Charvel DK series. They have a neck that is rounder than an Ibanez, and wider like an Ibanez, and don't have a block heel like the So-Cal series.

zjb7777

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
You could also look at the Charvel DK series. They have a neck that is rounder than an Ibanez, and wider like an Ibanez, and don't have a block heel like the So-Cal series.
Thanks for the suggestion! I did try one actually a week or so ago, but I have a hard time vibing with the Strat headstock.

Considering I am used to a Jackson, albeit a 7, I'm not completely counting one out, I just don't really like their normal inline 6 headstock. Reverse inline, however is *chef's kiss*. They also do a lot of kinda meh solid color finishes but they do have some nicer stuff I'm seeing. I hear their QC is so so though, especially from the Indo factory. I currently only have a heavily modified JS22-7 as my main guitar and considering the price and being from China, I literally can't complain about a single thing about it, other than needing a fret level soon.

Shask

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion! I did try one actually a week or so ago, but I have a hard time vibing with the Strat headstock.

Considering I am used to a Jackson, albeit a 7, I'm not completely counting one out, I just don't really like their normal inline 6 headstock. Reverse inline, however is *chef's kiss*. They also do a lot of kinda meh solid color finishes but they do have some nicer stuff I'm seeing. I hear their QC is so so though, especially from the Indo factory. I currently only have a heavily modified JS22-7 as my main guitar and considering the price and being from China, I literally can't complain about a single thing about it, other than needing a fret level soon.
Its funny because I dont mind Charvel guitars, but I cant stand Jackson. I don't like their necks at all.

I have a MIJ Charvel So-Cal. I prefer my narrow-neck Schecters and Wolfgangs, but I like the classic feel of the Charvel for that classic Strat feel.

You might be able to find a used Kiesel also. They have pretty round necks, medium wide-ness. I have a SCB6 that is pretty nice.

Shask

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Another oddball suggestion, the PRS Holcomb SE. They are 25.5" scale with a 20" radius. Wider, round neck.

zjb7777

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Another oddball suggestion, the PRS Holcomb SE. They are 25.5" scale with a 20" radius. Wider, round neck.
Funny you say that because I actually played one briefly today, there was a used one in the store and I kinda hated it lol. For a satin finish on the back of the neck, I found it to be extremely sticky. Other than that it felt okay, just didn't like the neck finish.

I have looked at used Kiesels but I'm just not super interested in their stuff.

My list of things I'm currently considering is an Ibanez AZ242 with a pickup swap, Schecter CR-6, Schecter KM-6 MK-III Hybrid, Schecter C-1 Apocalypse and ESP LTD M-1000 MS. I know the AZ, Apocalypse and M-1000 MS have slightly thicker profiles but that's maybe not as important as the profiles feel really nice.

Last edited:

Neon_Knight_

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Thanks! That does help. I believe the S1070 that I really liked the feel of had the same dimensions as the Wizard profile at 18-20. You'd think a 1mm difference wouldn't make a huge difference but it does make me nervous to try. I suppose it's not a big deal if I buy from a dealer with a good return policy, but buying used would be what worries me lol.
Yes, the S1070 (and most other Premium models from that period) have the standard 18-20mm Wizard profile. The current Premium models are WIzard III profile & neck-thru construction instead.

zjb7777

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Yes, the S1070 (and most other Premium models from that period) have the standard 18-20mm Wizard profile. The current Premium models are WIzard III profile & neck-thru construction instead.
Thanks for confirming! I really did like that one a lot when I played it so maybe if I find one used at a good price I can swap out the Tone Zone.

I have found a couple RG520QS from the early, those appear to have similar dimensions, and those are MIJ, thoughts on that?

Last edited:

Neon_Knight_

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Thanks for confirming! I really did like that one a lot when I played it so maybe if I find one used at a good price I can swap out the Tone Zone.

I have found a couple RG520QS from the early, those appear to have similar dimensions, and those are MIJ, thoughts on that?
RG520QS is a good guitar, but a different neck again - it has the "original" Wizard profile.

Original wizard = 17-20mm thickness / 56mm width at 24th fret
Modern Wizard = 18-20mm thickness / 58mm width at 24th fret
Super Wizard = 17-19mm thickness / 58mm width at 24th fret
Wizard II = 19-21mm thickness / 56mm width at 24th fret
Wizard III = 19-21mm thickness / 58mm width at 24th fret

Wizard II was replaced by Wizard III when Ibanez decided to match the wider necks of high-end models (with Wizard / Super Wizard) on the cheaper lines (standard, Iron Label etc.).

For info: https://ibanez.fandom.com/wiki/List_of_neck_types#Wizard

Shask

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
All this talk of Schecter necks, I decided to go grab a cheap used Omen Extreme 6 today, lol. I wanted a Schecter with the Thin C neck, bolt on, and Tune-o-Matic bridge so this fit the bill cheaply.

zjb7777

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
All this talk of Schecter necks, I decided to go grab a cheap used Omen Extreme 6 today, lol. I wanted a Schecter with the Thin C neck, bolt on, and Tune-o-Matic bridge so this fit the bill cheaply.
Can't blame you for that! I played one of those on Friday and it felt really solid! At this point, I'm considering going with something less expensive like another Omen Elite, Reaper or CR-6, just to have a 6 string and saving some more money and getting something high end down the line.

Weirdly I seem to be less picky the lower the price, and $1000-1500 is a weird price point for me right now on the new and used market where I'm seeing really spec'd out stuff that I don't really like visually. Schecter is putting out great looking guitars at $500-800, and while the hardware may not be as good, build quality shouldn't suffer much.

Shask

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Can't blame you for that! I played one of those on Friday and it felt really solid! At this point, I'm considering going with something less expensive like another Omen Elite, Reaper or CR-6, just to have a 6 string and saving some more money and getting something high end down the line.

Weirdly I seem to be less picky the lower the price, and $1000-1500 is a weird price point for me right now on the new and used market where I'm seeing really spec'd out stuff that I don't really like visually. Schecter is putting out great looking guitars at $500-800, and while the hardware may not be as good, build quality shouldn't suffer much.
Yeah, this one felt solid, played well, pretty good condition, for under $300, so I figured it would be good to have. It is pinkish-purple, which is totally different than all my other guitars, lol. I have some Dimarios laying around not doing anything, so they might be work well for this guitar.

I generally prefer guitars in the $500-$1000 range, or even cheaper if they are good. I can fret level, and clean up the frets, I generally always rewire them and replace the pickups. Heck, some guitars like my Ibanezes I sanded down the necks to make them rounder. Most of my cheaper guitars play better than guitars costing way more.

zjb7777

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Yeah, this one felt solid, played well, pretty good condition, for under $300, so I figured it would be good to have. It is pinkish-purple, which is totally different than all my other guitars, lol. I have some Dimarios laying around not doing anything, so they might be work well for this guitar.

I generally prefer guitars in the $500-$1000 range, or even cheaper if they are good. I can fret level, and clean up the frets, I generally always rewire them and replace the pickups. Heck, some guitars like my Ibanezes I sanded down the necks to make them rounder. Most of my cheaper guitars play better than guitars costing way more.
That's awesome! It never hurts to get a good deal like that. Dimarzio also makes some seriously good stuff. I put a Titan set into my JS22-7. It's the one with the active route so I got some active pickup covers, trimmed the tabs off the pickups and sanded them to fit in the covers. My favorite set I've tried so far lol.

I've never really owned anything more than about $900 or so, I feel like I've gotten pretty lucky with budget guitars having relatively level frets and good setups either from the factory or the previous owner so I haven't needed to do much work on mine. I usually replace pickups too, my Omen Elite I had last year was one of the only guitars I've had in the last few years that I didn't feel needed a pickup swap. I saw an RG6005 locally in really good condition for a solid price that I might look at. I actually quite like the EMG 57/66 set so that could be a good buy too.