Recommendations for Mid Range 6 String?

Grumpyrocker

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
What kind of necks do you like? Are you comfortable with your EC-1000 or do you want a different feel? I've played quite a few different guitars over the last couple weeks so I may be able to help a bit.
I like all kinds of necks, though really ultra thin aren't my thing.

I love the neck on my EC1000, the only thing I don't like is the poly finish.

I've got a Schecter C6 Pro and that's got a great feeling neck too.

I suppose the obvious thing would be to get a satin EC1000. But I like aesthetics as much as feel and want something a bit more wood on show, hence my interest in the Schecter models I mentioned.

I do like the look of the KM6 Artist but that's heading into money I can't really afford.

zjb7777

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I have some interest in LTD/ESP brand, and I have owned 10 LTDs and 6 ESPs in the past 2 years. I also recently gave up on the brand after a bland OS M2, but the next owner was extremely happy with it. I've also had Ibanez Prestiges, Vigier etc. In short, I've played a ton of guitars for my quest of perfect guitar. Needless to say, my wife knows it's always the next one. I even had an ESP Original Series, which I sold (no regrets), and yesterday bought another one..

It's not a lot of ESP guitars, many here have more, but perhaps I can share my experiences and opinion: buy LTD. As you alread said, the neck profile feels good. That's all there is to it really. It will make you want to play all the time, be more creative etc. I feel nowadays people understate the importance of neck profile, but for me it's everything. Ibanez Prestige is fantastic, LTD 1000 is simply better. While Prestige quality is a bit higher, the playability is ultimately not, albeit it's close.. YMMV, and to be completely honest, I think Genesis > Prestige (modern day).

LTD does have satin options if you're worried about the gloss neck, but seriously the combination of LTD's carve with 14" radius is just something magical. Just before the OS purchase, I bought an Indonesian made Viper 1000, and it's possibly the best guitar I've ever had in 30 years - regardless of price. The poly coats do seem to vary, as this one has rock hard coat without much stickyness if at all. Comparing it to my M-401 (still great) the difference is night and day in regards of the poly. Basically what I mean is perhaps you just gotta try them out, or order from somwhere with a good return policy. With 1500 people are thinking used original ESP, but I don't think that's necessarily better. Value yes, but if you want a player, I'm not so sure (backed up with some experience).

LTDs may not give "wow" factor always, but in a long playing sessions they reap rewards. Needless to say, however, they do have their minor quality defects if you look for them..
but don't take my word for it, try them out more if you can. If they're still not for you, then perhaps go for that Schecter route.
Hey, circling back and I found a solid deal on a Korean 2008 LTD MH-400 in mint condition, any thoughts on if this would be a good buy? Thanks!

Last edited:

zjb7777

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I like all kinds of necks, though really ultra thin aren't my thing.

I love the neck on my EC1000, the only thing I don't like is the poly finish.

I've got a Schecter C6 Pro and that's got a great feeling neck too.

I suppose the obvious thing would be to get a satin EC1000. But I like aesthetics as much as feel and want something a bit more wood on show, hence my interest in the Schecter models I mentioned.

I do like the look of the KM6 Artist but that's heading into money I can't really afford.
I know it may not be the best thing for resale value, but if it's a guitar you plan on keeping a while, you could always take a green Scotchbrite pad to the back of the neck. Of course tape of at the heel and before the vollute, but if the gloss neck is the only thing you don't like, I'd probably try that.

But I don't think you could go wrong with a Schecter SLS Elite if you like the finishes. That should have the same neck as your C-6 Pro.

You could also look at the Banshee Mach-6. Beastly guitar if it's in your price range. Not super sure of UK pricing lol

mbardu

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hey, sorry for the additional question but do you have any experience with a KM-6 MK-I? I found one at a seemingly reasonable price and wanted to know if it might be worth a look?

I only tried the Mk-I a long time ago and for a brief period, so I would not have been able to comment.

See that you made a decision though, so looking forward to your impressions! Hope you enjoy the guitar.

Grumpyrocker

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I ended up finally making a decision. I went with the Ibanez S671ALB in Blue Chameleon. I'll do a NGD post when I get it!
Your post sent me off in that direction too. Decided on the RG version of that - the RG631. Got a good deal on one and it's arriving tomorrow.

I've already got a Series S so thought I'd add an RG to the mix. I'm a sucker for a flip paint. And the neck looks superb.

Not convinced about the black pickguard though - I may replace it with a purple shiny one I've seen online.

Last edited:

Adieu

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hey, circling back and I found a solid deal on a Korean 2008 LTD MH-400 in mint condition, any thoughts on if this would be a good buy? Thanks!

Which config? Some of them are worth 200 on a good day....some more like 500

zjb7777

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Your post sent me off in that direction too. Decided on the RG version of that - the RG631. Got a good deal on one and it's arriving tomorrow.

I've already got a Series S so thought I'd add an RG to the mix. I'm a sucker for a flip paint. And the neck looks superb.

Not convinced about the black pickguard though - I may replace it with a purple shiny one I've seen online.
Awesome! I was considering that but I love the S series and also wasn't sure about the pickguard either. Glad you found something and hope it works out for you!

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
2 pages ago i expected an ebmm jp ngd.

Tree

-________-
Reaction score
2 pages ago i expected an ebmm jp ngd.
You should know better than for a guitarist to stick to any one notion for more than a few seconds. We are an impressionable bunch. The grass is always greener, etc. :lol:

Grumpyrocker

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Awesome! I was considering that but I love the S series and also wasn't sure about the pickguard either. Glad you found something and hope it works out for you!
Thanks. The plot thickens. I cancelled that order and ordered something different. Still an Ibanez RG, but something that ticks all the boxes of what I wanted earlier.

Grumpyrocker

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
What RG did you order then?
RG1121PB

I'd looked at this model several times. But never realised it had a matte finish.

I got s Cort seven string a couple of years ago and ever since have been looking for a six string with similar aesthetics.

Neon_Knight_

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
RG1121PB

I'd looked at this model several times. But never realised it had a matte finish.

I got s Cort seven string a couple of years ago and ever since have been looking for a six string with similar aesthetics.
Carribean IsletFlat or Charcoal Black Burst? (both look nice!)

zjb7777

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The CIF as that one's matte finish. I believe the darker one is gloss.
Glad you found something you liked! The plot thickens for me as well. I got the S671 yesterday but will likely send it back try something different.

It has a few too many finish flaws for my liking for a $1200 USD guitar, Indo built or not, there are a few spots around the binding that were taped too far into the face of the body so there's a bit of body wood showing through, and plus the middle pickup gets in the way of my picking motion way more than I rememeber.

I don't really want to take a chance and get another one with QC issues so I'll likely return and go for a Schecter as I've owned a couple and never really had any issues at all. The Reaper 6 was super fun to play and everything felt great, as well as the CR-6 (US version of the C-6 Pro) so I'm thinking either of those with upgrades will work as they played great, or something higher up in their lineup. I'll update the thread with what I decide to do.

Grumpyrocker

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Glad you found something you liked! The plot thickens for me as well. I got the S671 yesterday but will likely send it back try something different.

It has a few too many finish flaws for my liking for a $1200 USD guitar, Indo built or not, there are a few spots around the binding that were taped too far into the face of the body so there's a bit of body wood showing through, and plus the middle pickup gets in the way of my picking motion way more than I rememeber.

I don't really want to take a chance and get another one with QC issues so I'll likely return and go for a Schecter as I've owned a couple and never really had any issues at all. The Reaper 6 was super fun to play and everything felt great, as well as the CR-6 (US version of the C-6 Pro) so I'm thinking either of those with upgrades will work as they played great, or something higher up in their lineup. I'll update the thread with what I decide to do.
That's a shame. It was the middle pickup that put me off the S671. I found with my recently sold ML1 Hybrid Pro that middle pickups really get in my way.

I do really like the look of the Reapers too. I have a C6 Pro, I didn't realise there were regional differences. Do USA customers get USA pickups?

My RG1121PB has just arrived. It's a really lovely guitar. My only criticism so far is the coil tap doesn't sound very single coil, just quieter, unlike My C6 which has super spanky Strat sounds when split.

AkiraSpectrum

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

Bummer, are you able to take pics?

zjb7777

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
That's a shame. It was the middle pickup that put me off the S671. I found with my recently sold ML1 Hybrid Pro that middle pickups really get in my way.

I do really like the look of the Reapers too. I have a C6 Pro, I didn't realise there were regional differences. Do USA customers get USA pickups?

My RG1121PB has just arrived. It's a really lovely guitar. My only criticism so far is the coil tap doesn't sound very single coil, just quieter, unlike My C6 which has super spanky Strat sounds when split.
Agreed, it is a shame, aside from those issues, the neck is great, but I can't tell if I'm being too picky or if I'm justifiably ticked about the QC. I prefer thick gloss finishes and Ibanez does tons of super thin open pore satin finishes that IMO age poorly because they ding up super easy. Some people like that, but not for me and not sure if there's anything else I'd try from them.

The Reapers do look and play really nice, but I'd probably have to see the top of the actual one I'd receive before getting one. The CR-6 is indeed slightly different than the C-6 Pro, it has Schecter USA pickups, although not ones that they sell publicly, it's a spot model for Guitar Center so no other retailers here get it. Since they're usually in stock at my local GC it's been my main way to play the Ultra Thin C neck profile and it's a great playing guitar, and on sale for $600 USD right now. I figure I could go crazy with mods if I don't like the pickups, but it would get locking tuners and a genuine Hipshot immediately.

But awesome to hear you got the guitar, I hope you like it! Not every humbucker splits equally so that's kinda meh, but otherwise I hope that works out for you!

zjb7777

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Bummer, are you able to take pics?
Yeah, one is attached. This is the biggest and most noticable spot, it's definitely more noticable with the flash on like in the photo, but it's one of those things that after you see it, you can't  not see it.

Attachments

• 20220526_095127.jpg
    20220526_095127.jpg
    947.6 KB · Views: 25