Recommendations for Mid Range 6 String?

mbardu

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Thanks for the input, it's much appreciated! Banshee Elite 6 is probably top of my list right now.

I have seen those C-1 with the Red Reign but I agree, I'm not a huge fan of the back finish. I love natural Ash and the stain kinda ruins it for me lol.

If you could roughly compare how the pickups in the Banshee Elite are voiced, to something more mainstream, what might you compare them to?

What the superchargers are not: very scooped modern-metaly djent-only pickups a-la Ragnaroks.

What they are is very even, wide-frequency, medium high-gain pickups. Because they're even in lows/mids/highs, they will sound MASSIVE if left alone, but can also be sculpted pretty much however you want them with just a bit of EQ. And the harmonics....yum :chef's kiss:

For context, I play a bit of everything, from jazz (I wish :lol: ) to folk to extreme metal (dabbling into djent on occasion), and my top 3 all time for pickups would be Anderson H2/H3, BKP Rebel Yells/Nailbombs or Schecters such as Superchargers/Pasadenas. Those mostly do the same thing in my opinion (and that is doing most things extremely well) but in that group, The Superchargers would be the higher output ones.

Last edited:

zjb7777

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
What the superchargers are not: very scooped modern-metaly djent-only pickups a-la Ragnaroks.

What they are is very even, wide-frequency, medium high-gain pickups. Because they're even in lows/mids/highs, they will sound MASSIVE if left alone, but can also be sculpted pretty much however you want them with just a bit of EQ. And the harmonics....yum :chef's kiss:

For context, I play a bit of everything, from jazz (I wish :lol: ) to folk to extreme metal (dabbling into djent on occasion), and my top 3 all time for pickups would be Anderson H2/H3, BKP Rebel Yells/Nailbombs or Schecters such as Superchargers/Pasadenas. Those mostly do the same thing in my opinion (and that is doing most things extremely well) but in that group, The Superchargers would be the higher output ones.
Glad they aren't only modern metal/dent pickups, I definitely prefer some versatility. I do like very evenly EQd pickups so that actually sounds really nice! I normally tune in Drop C, sometimes with the low C dropped to A, but never lower, it sounds like they should be able to handle that fine?

Also thank you very much for all the info, I really appreciate it!

mbardu

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Glad they aren't only modern metal/dent pickups, I definitely prefer some versatility. I do like very evenly EQd pickups so that actually sounds really nice! I normally tune in Drop C, sometimes with the low C dropped to A, but never lower, it sounds like they should be able to handle that fine?

Also thank you very much for all the info, I really appreciate it!

You're most welcome :)

As for your question, I have tried those on a 6 tuned in Eb with great results, but not lower. D standard or Drop C is probably similar I would imagine.
Lower, depends on what you're after and YMMV. For example on 7 for my playing they were very good too in standard B, but I would not have tuned much lower if I wanted that very surgical scooped sound.

zjb7777

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
You're most welcome :)

As for your question, I have tried those on a 6 tuned in Eb with great results, but not lower. D standard or Drop C is probably similar I would imagine.
Lower, depends on what you're after and YMMV. For example on 7 for my playing they were very good too in standard B, but I would not have tuned much lower if I wanted that very surgical scooped sound.
Thanks for the input! I was able to make it back to a store near me yesterday and spent a good chunk of time playing both the Ibanez S1070 as well as the Schecter KM-6 MK-III (my baseline for the Ultra Thin C lol) and both of the necks felt really good to me. I much prefer the finish on the Ibanez than the Banshee Elite 6, but still like the Schecter visually. The Ibanez Premium neck has more of a roundness to it than I remember my Standard Ibanez having. The wider string spacing is a welcome change, but I'm kind of mixed on a Trem as I do like having them, but like I said yesterday, I switch between a low A and Low C in drop C a lot and I'm looking to only have 1 6 string for a while. The thumb wheel for spring adjustment would likely make the process easier, and I'm not much of a fan of the pickups, but not a deal breaker. I guess the more logical choice is the Schecter, but I do feel drawn to the Ibanez and didn't want to put it down. I may just bite the bullet and order one off Sweetwater to see how it feels over a few days and if I genuinely like it, I'll keep it, if not, I'll return and try the Schecter.

mbardu

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Thanks for the input! I was able to make it back to a store near me yesterday and spent a good chunk of time playing both the Ibanez S1070 as well as the Schecter KM-6 MK-III (my baseline for the Ultra Thin C lol) and both of the necks felt really good to me. I much prefer the finish on the Ibanez than the Banshee Elite 6, but still like the Schecter visually. The Ibanez Premium neck has more of a roundness to it than I remember my Standard Ibanez having. The wider string spacing is a welcome change, but I'm kind of mixed on a Trem as I do like having them, but like I said yesterday, I switch between a low A and Low C in drop C a lot and I'm looking to only have 1 6 string for a while. The thumb wheel for spring adjustment would likely make the process easier, and I'm not much of a fan of the pickups, but not a deal breaker. I guess the more logical choice is the Schecter, but I do feel drawn to the Ibanez and didn't want to put it down. I may just bite the bullet and order one off Sweetwater to see how it feels over a few days and if I genuinely like it, I'll keep it, if not, I'll return and try the Schecter.

The good thing is that you only have a plethora of good choices!
I never had an S1070, but owned a bunch of the RG equivalents (the 1070s, 1027s and similar PCMLTDs), and that neck is truly a highlight. Especially if you appreciate a bit of texture in the neck feel.

A lot of people see them as inferior because they're made in Indonesia, but IMHO they can be just as good as the Prestige line or those MIK Schecters if you don't get a rare (and becoming more rare over time) lemon. Arguably often better than a lot of recent Prestige even in key things like fretwork.

Note on the trem though: it may sound good or easier on paper, but in practice, even with the wheel, it has always been a hassle to change tunings in my experience. So I would only recommend those guitars for a single tuning.

zjb7777

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The good thing is that you only have a plethora of good choices!
I never had an S1070, but owned a bunch of the RG equivalents (the 1070s, 1027s and similar PCMLTDs), and that neck is truly a highlight. Especially if you appreciate a bit of texture in the neck feel.

A lot of people see them as inferior because they're made in Indonesia, but IMHO they can be just as good as the Prestige line or those MIK Schecters if you don't get a rare (and becoming more rare over time) lemon. Arguably often better than a lot of recent Prestige even in key things like fretwork.

Note on the trem though: it may sound good or easier on paper, but in practice, even with the wheel, it has always been a hassle to change tunings in my experience. So I would only recommend those guitars for a single tuning.
Agreed, although lots of choices does give me options paralysis sometimes, but I'm sure everyone feels the same.

The S1070 definitely feels very good, I've only owned Chinese and Indo guitars and never really had any major playability issues but finish issues here and there mostly on Chinese, so I have no doubts that this would be very solid. The fretwork was a thing of beauty, and it played easier, and while I had no hand cramping, I definitely noticed Barre chords needed a bit more pressure.

Good to know on the trem, if that's the case I'd have to figure something out to block it off when I decide to drop the C to A, just switch tunings between string changes or leave the lower stuff to my 7.

That trem probably the biggest reason why the Schecter is way more logical. Also $400+ cheaper, better pickups and hardtail. I'll say though that the Schecter neck does still feel a bit better due to it being more round. And the neck through heel will make a big deal if I ever fully invest in developing lead skills lol. If I had $2500 I'd get both. But I don't 🤣

mbardu

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Agreed, although lots of choices does give me options paralysis sometimes, but I'm sure everyone feels the same.

The S1070 definitely feels very good, I've only owned Chinese and Indo guitars and never really had any major playability issues but finish issues here and there mostly on Chinese, so I have no doubts that this would be very solid. The fretwork was a thing of beauty, and it played easier, and while I had no hand cramping, I definitely noticed Barre chords needed a bit more pressure.

Good to know on the trem, if that's the case I'd have to figure something out to block it off when I decide to drop the C to A, just switch tunings between string changes or leave the lower stuff to my 7.

That trem probably the biggest reason why the Schecter is way more logical. Also $400+ cheaper, better pickups and hardtail. I'll say though that the Schecter neck does still feel a bit better due to it being more round. And the neck through heel will make a big deal if I ever fully invest in developing lead skills lol. If I had $2500 I'd get both. But I don't 🤣

You said 1.5k$ in your budget....so getting both used is not that crazy with a bit of patience. Especially if you'd consider the RG in lieu of the S since it is more common.
I have managed to grab both an RG 1070 and a Banshee Elite used for <700 each in the past.

zjb7777

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
You said 1.5k$ in your budget....so getting both used is not that crazy with a bit of patience. Especially if you'd consider the RG in lieu of the S since it is more common.
I have managed to grab both an RG 1070 and a Banshee Elite used for <700 each in the past.
That is definitely fair, great idea. I think what I'll end up doing is grabbing the Banshee Elite now and looking for a used S or RG premium sometime down the line. Considering I don't have a 6 at the moment, I find it would be better to get the more reliable guitar for changing tunings now and for a 2nd 6 down the line, something with a trem would be better for just keeping it in a single tuning.

bzhang9

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
ill sell you my prestige rg652fx with a SD nazgul upgrade for $600, guarantee it plays better than any schecter and probably sounds similar...

zjb7777

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
ill sell you my prestige rg652fx with a SD nazgul upgrade for $600, guarantee it plays better than any schecter and probably sounds similar...
Thanks for the offer, but without being able to play a Prestige first, I definitely can't justify buying one, especially when I've found things that I know play well for me.

zjb7777

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Y'know something else that I did see and play was one of the Schecter Reaper 6s. Looked great and played well so if I end up really liking the Banshee, I might get one of those with an FR or FR-S for a Floyd guitar down the line. It's kind of eye opening how Schecter really packs a punch in terms of features for price while maintaining quality and other brands seem to have a hard time matching that. Especially Jackson. I don't even know what they have going for them right now 🤣

Neon_Knight_

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I own an RG652FX and can't see myself ever parting with it. I'm currently in the process of deciding between D Activators and Black Winters (for B standard tuning).

It doesn't sound like the OP wants a Super Wizard neck though.

zjb7777

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hey, sorry for the additional question but do you have any experience with a KM-6 MK-I? I found one at a seemingly reasonable price and wanted to know if it might be worth a look?

Hoss632

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
There are so many options from Schecter, the KM6 hybrid like you've already tried, any of the blackjack series guitars, the new Reaper Custom, the SLS Elite guitars all have fishman moderns if that's your thing.
Ibanez is the same. Any of the premium series would work so long as there's one with specs you like. But for my money new in that 1000-1500 dollar range Schecter is my first choice.

zjb7777

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
There are so many options from Schecter, the KM6 hybrid like you've already tried, any of the blackjack series guitars, the new Reaper Custom, the SLS Elite guitars all have fishman moderns if that's your thing.
Ibanez is the same. Any of the premium series would work so long as there's one with specs you like. But for my money new in that 1000-1500 dollar range Schecter is my first choice.
Thanks for the input, appreciate it! I definitely like the neck profile from the KM-6 Hybrid a lot so I know that profile feels pretty good to me. I really want to like the SLS Elite series but I'm not keen on fade finishes and I don't want another black guitar lol, although I do like Fishman Moderns. The Reaper customs are cool too, but I think the standard Reapers look a bit better. Just me being picky I guess lol. The Ibanez premiums feel nice, but I've kind of decided against a trem for right now, unless I block it off. Any thoughts on the Ibanez Axion Label line? I played an S671 and thought the neck felt great and I think the Blue Chameleon finish is awesome lol.

marke

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
So here's my thoughts: The LTD EC-1000 played very well, I didn't particularly mind the gloss finish on the neck but I totally understand why people prefer satin neck. It wasn't bad at all for riffing when you're staying in the same spot or gradually going up the fretboard, but going up the neck quickly feels a little slower. Still, I really liked the shape and thickness, but a question here, I know the EC-1000 I played has a Thin U like the H3, they won't vary much from model to model right?
I have some interest in LTD/ESP brand, and I have owned 10 LTDs and 6 ESPs in the past 2 years. I also recently gave up on the brand after a bland OS M2, but the next owner was extremely happy with it. I've also had Ibanez Prestiges, Vigier etc. In short, I've played a ton of guitars for my quest of perfect guitar. Needless to say, my wife knows it's always the next one. I even had an ESP Original Series, which I sold (no regrets), and yesterday bought another one..

It's not a lot of ESP guitars, many here have more, but perhaps I can share my experiences and opinion: buy LTD. As you alread said, the neck profile feels good. That's all there is to it really. It will make you want to play all the time, be more creative etc. I feel nowadays people understate the importance of neck profile, but for me it's everything. Ibanez Prestige is fantastic, LTD 1000 is simply better. While Prestige quality is a bit higher, the playability is ultimately not, albeit it's close.. YMMV, and to be completely honest, I think Genesis > Prestige (modern day).

LTD does have satin options if you're worried about the gloss neck, but seriously the combination of LTD's carve with 14" radius is just something magical. Just before the OS purchase, I bought an Indonesian made Viper 1000, and it's possibly the best guitar I've ever had in 30 years - regardless of price. The poly coats do seem to vary, as this one has rock hard coat without much stickyness if at all. Comparing it to my M-401 (still great) the difference is night and day in regards of the poly. Basically what I mean is perhaps you just gotta try them out, or order from somwhere with a good return policy. With 1500 people are thinking used original ESP, but I don't think that's necessarily better. Value yes, but if you want a player, I'm not so sure (backed up with some experience).

LTDs may not give "wow" factor always, but in a long playing sessions they reap rewards. Needless to say, however, they do have their minor quality defects if you look for them..
but don't take my word for it, try them out more if you can. If they're still not for you, then perhaps go for that Schecter route.

Hoss632

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Thanks for the input, appreciate it! I definitely like the neck profile from the KM-6 Hybrid a lot so I know that profile feels pretty good to me. I really want to like the SLS Elite series but I'm not keen on fade finishes and I don't want another black guitar lol, although I do like Fishman Moderns. The Reaper customs are cool too, but I think the standard Reapers look a bit better. Just me being picky I guess lol. The Ibanez premiums feel nice, but I've kind of decided against a trem for right now, unless I block it off. Any thoughts on the Ibanez Axion Label line? I played an S671 and thought the neck felt great and I think the Blue Chameleon finish is awesome lol.
I will admit at first I liked ibanez aesthetics, but always figured the necks would be too thin. Then I tried 2 or 3 one day, including a s671. Even though the necks were technically thinner than say the schecter ultra thin profiles, it still felt like more in my hands cause the ibanez necks i guess are a bit wider and have more shoulder. So I had zero complaints of any of the ones I tried. I don't think the s671 would be a bad choice if you liked how it felt and sounded.

zjb7777

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I have some interest in LTD/ESP brand, and I have owned 10 LTDs and 6 ESPs in the past 2 years. I also recently gave up on the brand after a bland OS M2, but the next owner was extremely happy with it. I've also had Ibanez Prestiges, Vigier etc. In short, I've played a ton of guitars for my quest of perfect guitar. Needless to say, my wife knows it's always the next one. I even had an ESP Original Series, which I sold (no regrets), and yesterday bought another one..

It's not a lot of ESP guitars, many here have more, but perhaps I can share my experiences and opinion: buy LTD. As you alread said, the neck profile feels good. That's all there is to it really. It will make you want to play all the time, be more creative etc. I feel nowadays people understate the importance of neck profile, but for me it's everything. Ibanez Prestige is fantastic, LTD 1000 is simply better. While Prestige quality is a bit higher, the playability is ultimately not, albeit it's close.. YMMV, and to be completely honest, I think Genesis > Prestige (modern day).

LTD does have satin options if you're worried about the gloss neck, but seriously the combination of LTD's carve with 14" radius is just something magical. Just before the OS purchase, I bought an Indonesian made Viper 1000, and it's possibly the best guitar I've ever had in 30 years - regardless of price. The poly coats do seem to vary, as this one has rock hard coat without much stickyness if at all. Comparing it to my M-401 (still great) the difference is night and day in regards of the poly. Basically what I mean is perhaps you just gotta try them out, or order from somwhere with a good return policy. With 1500 people are thinking used original ESP, but I don't think that's necessarily better. Value yes, but if you want a player, I'm not so sure (backed up with some experience).

LTDs may not give "wow" factor always, but in a long playing sessions they reap rewards. Needless to say, however, they do have their minor quality defects if you look for them..
but don't take my word for it, try them out more if you can. If they're still not for you, then perhaps go for that Schecter route.
Thanks for the input! I genuinely do appreciate it, but I kind of decided against an LTD at this point. I understand that they're great workhorse guitars and such, and the necks feel solid, but I've just found necks that feel better, and maybe I'm being too picky, but I just haven't found one that I'm in love with visually, and that's kind of a big thing for me with bonding with a guitar. Maybe I'll get one at some point because their 7s are cool, but I think for now it'll probably be Schecter or Ibanez for a 6.
I will admit at first I liked ibanez aesthetics, but always figured the necks would be too thin. Then I tried 2 or 3 one day, including a s671. Even though the necks were technically thinner than say the schecter ultra thin profiles, it still felt like more in my hands cause the ibanez necks i guess are a bit wider and have more shoulder. So I had zero complaints of any of the ones I tried. I don't think the s671 would be a bad choice if you liked how it felt and sounded.
I kind of figured the same thing too, especially because of my experience with hand cramping on my S621 a few years ago. The S671 on the other hand, even with big chords that would have cause cramping, I was comfortable. Maybe because my technique is better now, but I think I may end up going for this one, instead of a Schecter. I really like the extra string spacing everywhere on the fretboard.

Grumpyrocker

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm on a similar journey. I want a hard tail guitar to complement my LTD EC1000FR. Similar budget to op but in UK at up to £1500.

I'm a little picky on this one. I like to be able to get close or see the wood rather than thick finishes. And I like satin or oil.

I've been looking at Schecter C1 SLS Evil Twin Satin Black or Schecter C1 Apocalypse Rusty Grey, both tick those woody boxes.

I think that's it in this price range, at least in the UK. Unless anyone can suggest something.

I live in the middle of nowhere with no chance to try guitars before buying.

Last edited:

zjb7777

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm on a similar journey. I want a hard tail guitar to complement my LTD EC1000FR. Similar budget to op but in UK at up to £1500.

I'm a little picky on this one. I like to be able to get close or see the wood rather than thick finishes. And I like satin or oil.

I've been looking at Schecter C1 SLS Evil Twin Satin Black or Schecter C1 Apocalypse Rusty Grey, both tick those woody boxes.

I think that's it in this price range, at least in the UK. Unless anyone can suggest something.

I live in the middle of nowhere with no chance to try guitars before buying.
What kind of necks do you like? Are you comfortable with your EC-1000 or do you want a different feel? I've played quite a few different guitars over the last couple weeks so I may be able to help a bit.