Recommendations for a simple usb midi foot controller?

Ben.Last

Formerly Lern2Swim
Reaction score
I want to set up a foot controller for starting and stopping recording. Everything I'm coming across is either excessively complicated/large or cheap. I want something sturdy that's not going to have connectivity issues, but I only need one button (would be fine with a couple more. I mainly want the overall size of the unit to be compact), so I also don't want to spend a couple hundred bucks for the inclusion of a bunch of stuff I don't need.

Anyone have anything they'd recommend?

EmaDaCuz

Brutal yet soulful
Reaction score
A USB keyboard? Strip off all the keys except space, and job done.
I have used a USB keyboard for controlling clips on Ableton Live in a few shows, worked great.

Reaction score
If you have a soldering iron and a drill it's actually pretty easy to make a really well built one for low cost. The one I made is well built and has been working great. I followed what this guy did () but I put my own twist on it and fully soldered it instead of using clips. I also had a big aluminum square tube that I cut in half and is really strong. He uses his for looping but I use mine for recording. I made mine with only 7 switches and he used 14. It's totally possible to make it with only one switch for probably less than $50.

Teensy 4.0 about ~$20
Some wire - I used 22awg 50' spool ~$6
Aluminum "B" sized box same as used for an fx pedal (if only using 1 switch) $5
Momentary Button(s) ~$4ea
usb cable - i had some left over from other things
strip-board $2-$5 depending on what size.

Ben.Last

Formerly Lern2Swim
Reaction score

Latest posts