Recommend some players with good flow?

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by MoshJosh, Feb 23, 2015.

1. ibanice

ibanice SS.org Regular

Jep. Eric Johnson is a very good place for intermediate players. He plays many different styled songs and they are not super mega difficult, but they are still a challenge. Some of his songs are really difficult, but some of them are really good for practicing different kinds of techniques.

My other suggestion would be Joe Satriani. If you look away from all the wanking (wanking is not a bad thing btw!!!) there are some really good melodies to play as a solo kind of thing. "Flying in a blue dream" is a very good song to start with. "If I could Fly", "Super Colossal", "summer song" and so on. Listen to his music and find the songs you like the best and then find the tabs.

2. Thanatopsis

Thanatopsis SS.org Regular

He doesn't get mentioned here often, but I gotta suggest Buckethead. I happen to be a huge fan though.

3. fogcutter

fogcutter SS.org Regular

Someone I forgot to mention was Alex Skolnick. I always thought that he managed to create really cohesive, flowing guitar solos within the context of pretty brutal thrash. One melodic idea always seems to flow into the next and his technique never seems forced.

+1 for Andy Timmons, the dude is amazing.

Another guy we don't talk about much is John Frusciante. I never really spent time learning his stuff, but when it's his turn to solo, he definitely takes you for a ride. Again, it never feels forced or wrong, no matter how unorthodox it may get. Check out that extended solo he does on Cicatriz ESP.

That might be more of a helpful "intermediate" guy too ... Skolnick lays down some pretty terrifying stuff!

4. source field

source field SS.org Regular

Guthrie Govan at 5:07 is the definition of flow

5. Thanatopsis

Thanatopsis SS.org Regular

I love pretty much anything Omar Rodriguez-Lopez does too. At the Drive-In, The Mars Volta, his solo albums, etc. An underrated player IMO. Plenty of people are fans of the music but he doesn't seem to get mentioned often as a guitarist.

6. pel

pel SS.org Regular

7. skeels

skeels ..to pay the beels

Chris Poland has always been a favorite of mine. He's got great phrasing. He was awesome in Megadeth and his later work solo was super cool. He played with Damn the Machine way back and then with Ohm. Definitely worth checking out!

8. pattonfreak1

pattonfreak1 Bored Member

Frank Zappa
    Ty Tabor
    Dweezil Zappa
    Vai
    Dave Weiner

9. fantasyl

fantasyl SS.org Regular

Thanks for posting, Brett Garsed and that "Got the Horn" beautiful solo brought me back in time to 10/12 years ago...good memories!!!

Another flow examples....Russ Freeman (Larry Carlton - melodic fusion style), far from being a metalhead :shred: but I love his soloing style and here the musical flow elevates to the whole band, IMHO.

At 2.40 his first solo

10. fretninjadave

fretninjadave Seven String Samurai