Recommend simple, high quality, hall reverb

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Bearitone, Jul 8, 2019.

1. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular

Looking for a simple, high quality, hall reverb. It has to be able to blend between full dry and full wet. Budget of $200.

Are there any studio quality reverbs out there that fit the bill?

2. Gmork

Gmork SS.org Regular

TC HOF2 all the way!!!

Spinedriver likes this.
  3. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

You're in the US, how much is a used blue sky there? Buy one of those.

4. Spinedriver

Spinedriver SS.org Regular

The Boss RV-6 is pretty decent as well as the Hall Of Fame (either version). For the Boss though, you have to go mono out of the "B" output in order to kill the dry signal.

5. Gmork

Gmork SS.org Regular

Digitech supernatural!!! Very nice

Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
  6. youngthrasher9

youngthrasher9 SS.org Regular

Iirc he just posted a couple days ago about how he got one and hated it.

7. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

I don't know about the 2nd version, but I had an original Hall of Fame and it didn't do 100% wet. That said, I really liked the Church mode with the mix and decay way up and the tone around noon.

In addition to what everyone else has suggested, I would also say to look into the TC Nova reverb and maybe a Line 6 M5 or M9. You can definitely find a 1st version Neunaber Immerse for under $200 as well, and maybe a 2nd version if you wait for the right deal.

Bearitone likes this.
  8. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular

I don’t hate it, i just don’t think it deserves the extreme hype it gets. It’s a great reverb. But not a great one for the price imo.

youngthrasher9 likes this.
  9. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular

Neunaber immerse sounds like a good suggestion. I had the mk1 and didn’t like that it couldn’t blend between wet and dry but, i checked and the mk2 can! I’m going to keep my eyes peeled for a good used price

TheWarAgainstTime likes this.
  10. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular

I’ve actually had the supernatural for awhile! Best plate reverb I’ve tried to date but, looking for a hall verb.

I do like the hall verb on the oceans 11 a lot. I’ll probably scoop it up again but, wanted to see if there’s anything else out there before going back to it. I probably should mentioned that in the original post lol

11. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular

I found the original HOF pretty good but not, amazing.

Have the algorithms on the HOF2 improved or did they just add the mash switch?

12. Alex79

Alex79 SS.org Regular

I love the Earthquaker Devices Ghost Echo - I seem to be the only person in the world! I guess a lot of people get turned off from it because it lacks different reverbs, it really only does one sound (spring reverb), but that is the one I want anyway (I don't care for other reverbs very much).

I love it because it sounds super natural with both clean and gain. Some reverbs need to be turned down with gain and/or only sound good with clean, but this one is easy and simple to use. I tell myself it is because it is analogue and not digital, but really I don't know! I leave mine on permanently on low settings and it makes everything sound better, clean, blues, thrash metal.
    Listen to this:

They don't make my version anymore, the newer version is part analogue, part digital and features more flexibility in sound, range, etc. I think.
    https://www.earthquakerdevices.com/ghost-echo

Smoked Porter, Bearitone and The906 like this.
  13. Spinedriver

Spinedriver SS.org Regular

They did switch it up a bit. They removed several of the reverb types (tile, ambient & a few others) and replced them with a shimmer and 2 extra "toneprint" slots. So now it has room for 3 'custom' reverbs that you can make yourself or download from the TC site.

14. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

What don't you like about it? Bear in mind part of the price is that you get two reverb sounds for the money.

15. viifox

viifox SS.org Regular

For your budget, I've yet to find anything as good as the WET algorithm. The Hall reverb on the new Immerse pedal sounds insanely good. I'd definitely go with that!

A couple of other reverbs worth mentioning are the Mercury7, and Specular. Both can be had used for around $200.

If you can swing $300, you can buy a used Ventris. It might be overkill, but it's amazing. It's just as good as the BigSky in a lot of situations.

I'd stay away from the HOF (1 or 2). The sound quality is medicore at best.

Also, the Polara is excellent, however, i don't think it goes 100% wet.

With all that said, i still think I'd go with the Immerse mkll.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
    Bearitone and TheWarAgainstTime like this.
  16. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular

This is true. Two reverbs with the fave switch, stereo, 9 algorithms, infinite switch, and i think some more hidden features

I think i just built up unrealistic expectations for the blue sky. I’ve wanted to try it for years while seeing consistent praise for it. I expected to hear some other dimension to reverb that i hadn’t heard before and i didn’t.

That doesn’t mean it isn’t great though. It’s just for the hype it gets, i was expecting each algorithm to be the best version of that algorithm out there. Then again what’s “best” right? All preference i guess.

I played with it for another hour last night to really give it a fair shake and found I’m actually enjoying the “room” setting with the switch set to normal, the mix knob really high, and the decay pretty long. Basically a hall setting.

So, I’m going to have to eat a few of my words and say the Oceans 11 and Blue Sky are on par with each other in terms of hall (imo)

To answer your question about what i don’t like: https://sevenstring.org/threads/new-rig-day-isp-theta-combo-blue-sky-verb-roland-jc40.337011/

Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
    TheWarAgainstTime and budda like this.
  17. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

I have a RV-7 on the way, but it is probably similar to the Supernatural!

What about the Source Audio Ventris? I don't own anything by them, but I have been doing some research. All of their effects sound great in the demos. I kind of want a Gemini.

You could also go back to the standard..... pick up an old Lexicon rack unit. Even something like an old Rocktron Intellifex would sound very good.

18. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular

Checked out the Ventris. That has a LOT going on and boy that price! It was hard enough for me to justify the BlueSky :lol:

If i find one within my budget though, i will definitely give it a shot because i know i could flip it for a profit.

@Shask , i hope the RV-7 works out! If the plate setting is the same as on the supernatural you should be in heaven.

19. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

It came today! It sounds good to me. I am not a super picky Reverb person, but I wanted something more studio level in a pedal. I can use my Axe-FX II for high quality, but generally dont use it with my tube amps.

This completed my trinity, lol... Got the CR-7, DL-8, and RV-7. Love the Hardwire line of pedals. Got the CM-2 also.

20. b0nkersx

b0nkersx SS.org Regular

I really like the DigiTech Polara. It doesn't get to shoegaze level drench, but can go full wet. A quality reverb you can pick up for a good price.