Recommend me some headphones

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by feraledge, Jan 31, 2016.

1. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

I love my M50X's :yesway: I've never recorded with them, but they sound killer when I play through my Kemper with them. Very balanced and comfortable, plus I got mine off of Amazon in a bundle that came with a nice little bluetooth speaker for free :D

2. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Excellent post.

I ended up with a pair of Beyerdynamic DT770s largely because they have a reputation for being uber-comfortable, which (for me) they were. It's possible that it's one of those things that varies person by person, though, so if there's any way you can try on a few, it's worth doing.

I actually don't love how they sound - the high end seems a little washy to me, so I wouldn't choose them for casual listening - but they're very transparent, so for mixing I'm happy with them.

3. kevinxbrooks

kevinxbrooks General Facesmashery

4. Aymara

Aymara SS.org Regular

The DT770 are the worst sounding of Beyer's trio in this price range. The DT990 eliminates above critique and sounds much better as the more linear DT880 too, but those two have an open design with a much larger soundstage too, but the downside is, you can't use them for microphone recordings, because they aren't isolated enough, so that good mics would capture the headphones too.

5. Empryrean

Empryrean Plucks strings

6. Dcm81

Dcm81 SS.org Regular

KRK KNS8400
    They are extremely accurate/neutral so you can hear exactly what your tone is really like without the extra highs or lows that a lot of other headphones have.
    They are closed so they can hardly be heard by others, or sleeping daughters ;-)
    They are soooooo comfortable and light you can wear them for hours on end without any discomfort what-so-ever.

7. feraledge

feraledge Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards?

Anyone try the Sennheiser HD6? Looking into the other suggestions tonight, will buy a pair this weekend.

8. Aymara

Aymara SS.org Regular

I never tested it myself, but I found a review in a German recording magazine. It was described as a very good studio headphone in this price range and the only downside mentioned was a bit too strong bass.

9. Jorock

Jorock SS.org Regular

The Sennheiser HD280 Pro headphones I have found to be great for tracking, a little tough to mix on though.

10. Oklep

Oklep SS.org Regular

Same! very linear and natural sounding. They can compete with much more expensive headphones

11. torqueofficial

torqueofficial Torque

I got my Audio-Technica's ATH-M50x not too long ago. Excellent sound and manufacturing quality. I will definitely recommend them.